Rams vs Jags: Gray's Grades (101ESPN/101sports.com)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Quarterback

St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford bounced back from two straight rough performances to post very reasonable numbers against what might be the league’s worst all-around defense in the Jacksonville Jaguars.

On Sunday, Bradford finished with an impressive 105.3 rating by completing 19 of 34 passes with three touchdowns and no interceptions.

His completion rate of 55 percent was nothing spectacular, but he took care of the football by avoiding any turnovers.

With all the positives, though, there were some obvious signs of room for continued growth.

For one, Bradford missed a number of great opportunities to push the ball downfield when receivers had one-on-one coverage with no safety help in the vicinity.

His average of just 6.5 yards per completion needs to improve, and picking up a few big chunks would aid in that regard and open it up underneath for both the run and pass.

Secondly, his failure to consistently progress through reads left some yards and wide-open completions on the table.

For example, Bradford missed a wide-open Zac Stacy out of the backfield for what would have been a sure first down and likely much more. Stacy flared to the right without a Jags defender being within 15 yards, but No. 8 never looked his way. Even though Bradford was not pressured and had time to scan the field, he forced a pass into tight coverage for an incompletion.

Overall, however, the fourth-year St. Louis signal-caller took some solid steps forward in the Week 5 win. More progression should and must occur if the Rams are going to consistently serve up a solid passing attack, but Sunday was a move in the right direction.

Grade: B

(I hope each of you will enjoy the rest of the positional analysis and grades via the full column below. Thanks!):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/10/08/rams-vs-jags-grays-grades-st-louis-win/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/10/08/ram ... louis-win/</a>

RamzFanz

Damnit
I always enjoy reading your thoughts.

I think you were overly generous by about a grade in all areas except ST. Beating the Jaguars by 14 when the average win against them in the first 4 games was 24.5, really doesn't deserve an above average grade IMHO.

The only team that beat them by less was Oakland and they still won by 2 scores.

Of course, Blackmon was back for this game, but that only highlighted how bad the secondary is. They have yet to stop a decent receiver.

They ran below average against the worst defense in the NFL.

Bradford left a lot more on the table than just what you highlighted. I just re-watched the game and, as a Bradford fan, I was still very disappointed in some of his choices. Even on the TD pass to Kendricks where Kendricks fought for the TD, Pettis was wide open in the end zone.

While I slightly credit the coaching for starting Zac Stacy finally, they continued with uninspired play calling. One series they ran DR three times up the middle for a 3 and out. Seriously?

The only thing we could say with confidence is that the Rams aren't the worst team in football. I didn't see any improvement that would actually lead to more wins.

QB - C

RB - C-

WR/TE - C+

OL - C

DL - C-

LB - C+

Secondary - D

ST - F

Coaching - D-

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Shane,

I was formulating grades in my head before getting to yours and I can't dispute much there.

RamzFanz,

I think you are a bit too critical in most every area - following a win. I can't say I disagree with some of your arguments, but to grade on the curve because of the opponent isn't really something I buy into.

RamzFanz

Damnit
CGI_Ram said:
Shane,

I was formulating grades in my head before getting to yours and I can't dispute much there.

RamzFanz,

I think you are a bit too critical in most every area - following a win. I can't say I disagree with some of your arguments, but to grade on the curve because of the opponent isn't really something I buy into.

Just keeping my expectations in check. A win is great and great fun to watch, but other than an uptick in the run game, it was the same Rams.

A win this week is going to take a lot more, IMHO.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
duckhunter said:
Shane is objective and fair. Good job buddy.

Really appreciate that.. I strive strongly to be what you stated with each column. Thanks.

ShaneG

Starter
RamzFanz said:
I always enjoy reading your thoughts.

I think you were overly generous by about a grade in all areas except ST. Beating the Jaguars by 14 when the average win against them in the first 4 games was 24.5, really doesn't deserve an above average grade IMHO.

The only team that beat them by less was Oakland and they still won by 2 scores.

Of course, Blackmon was back for this game, but that only highlighted how bad the secondary is. They have yet to stop a decent receiver.

They ran below average against the worst defense in the NFL.

Bradford left a lot more on the table than just what you highlighted. I just re-watched the game and, as a Bradford fan, I was still very disappointed in some of his choices. Even on the TD pass to Kendricks where Kendricks fought for the TD, Pettis was wide open in the end zone.

While I slightly credit the coaching for starting Zac Stacy finally, they continued with uninspired play calling. One series they ran DR three times up the middle for a 3 and out. Seriously?

The only thing we could say with confidence is that the Rams aren't the worst team in football. I didn't see any improvement that would actually lead to more wins.

QB - C

RB - C-

WR/TE - C+

OL - C

DL - C-

LB - C+

Secondary - D

ST - F

Coaching - D-

Thank you very much, RamsFanz, for the kind words.

I can understand you grading the way you did, however, we do disagree slightly and that's fine. I think that we can be too hard in grading if we say just because everyone else beat up on the Jags that the Rams should be penalized for doing the same or even not quite doing it to their level.

All things said, due to the poor opponent or due to better play either way, St. Louis did do better things in many areas.

For example, the running backs tallied almost 150 yards. Regardless of the opponents, that's pretty good with a very solid average per carry. I can't see that resulting in anything less than something above a C (B- or better).

I can see your D grade on the secondary. I originally had a D+ in fact but felt the pick 6 being in there had to boost the grade at least into the C range. That was a pivotal play in changing the whole course of the game.

I can almost see the D on coaching, but I can't see going below a C for a win. Regardless of the opponent, an NFL win is still an accomplishment.

On the D line, considering the job they did against the run I'd have to go at least a C to C+ and I think I went B- due to pretty good job they did vs. the ground and the fact that -- even though the sacks weren't to what would be ideal -- they did get a couple sacks and several hits and hurries. With a win, again, I think that has to be factored slightly into the grade.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your thoughts and thanks again for the kind words....

ShaneG

Starter
CGI_Ram said:
Shane,

RamzFanz,

Glad to hear we were on the same page my friend. I do agree that considering whether a team wins or lose must factor in at least slightly in evaluating each position. Just slightly, but should be a part of the overall assessment.

fearsomefour

Legend
""For example, Bradford missed a wide-open Zac Stacy out of the backfield for what would have been a sure first down and likely much more. Stacy flared to the right without a Jags defender being within 15 yards, but No. 8 never looked his way. Even though Bradford was not pressured and had time to scan the field, he forced a pass into tight coverage for an incompletion.""

Very true and this is my biggest concern regarding Bradford. Sam seems to get locked onto one receiver and doesnt come off of him. At some point the light has to come on or he will be doomed to be a C+ QB. Maybe some of this is a byproduct of feeling pressure a lot....he may be sensing pressure that isent there sometimes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fearsomefour said:
""For example, Bradford missed a wide-open Zac Stacy out of the backfield for what would have been a sure first down and likely much more. Stacy flared to the right without a Jags defender being within 15 yards, but No. 8 never looked his way. Even though Bradford was not pressured and had time to scan the field, he forced a pass into tight coverage for an incompletion.""

Very true and this is my biggest concern regarding Bradford. Sam seems to get locked onto one receiver and doesnt come off of him. At some point the light has to come on or he will be doomed to be a C+ QB. Maybe some of this is a byproduct of feeling pressure a lot....he may be sensing pressure that isent there sometimes.
I think it would be a cool experiment if regular Joe's, such as ourselves, told everyone why they think THEY would be locking on to one receiver if they were Bradford. It's not that he can't do it (and I'm not convinced it's as big a problem as people say anyway), because he's done it plenty of times before. Even recently.

So if you were Bradford, why would you be locking on to one guy?

And say it in Bradford's voice for even more authenticity. :lol:

fearsomefour

Legend
"Well, I lock onto the guy my presnap read tells me is the best mismatch....and sometimes it is a specific thing we have worked on in practice for this game. Also, it is still weird for me going under center and doing a play action, still not totally comfortable with that as I cant survey the field in the way I prefer....and sometimes if there has been consistant pressure I want to get rid of the ball in hurry. But hey, like we always say, we will get it fixed."

How was that?
In other words, who knows I am sure it is a mix of things. He does force the ball to covered guys when he has other running open. Every QB does this. Some more than others. Some guys are/were nearly perfect with their presnap reads (Peyton, Warner for example) others struggle with it. The one way to get both Peyton and Brady off their game is early and heavy pressure in games....Bradfords issue with this may involve the same. Anticipating pressure or blitzes that dont come all the time.

nighttrain

Legend
RamzFanz said:

Secondary - D
Blackmon got away uncovered, big mistake, but other than that one play Secondary was OK. Your D grade to harsh
train

ShaneG

Starter
fearsomefour said:

It is a concern of mine as well. I like Bradford and his talent, but he absolutely doesn't progress through his reads as well as he should or could. The above was just one example of many Sunday.

However, he has improved in terms of pocket awareness which was an area of struggle a couple of years ago.

RamzFanz

Damnit
ShaneG said:
It is a concern of mine as well. I like Bradford and his talent, but he absolutely doesn't progress through his reads as well as he should or could. The above was just one example of many Sunday.

However, he has improved in terms of pocket awareness which was an area of struggle a couple of years ago.

True. His accuracy is very good too.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
ShaneG said:
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Quarterback

St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford bounced back from two straight rough performances to post very reasonable numbers against what might be the league’s worst all-around defense in the Jacksonville Jaguars.

On Sunday, Bradford finished with an impressive 105.3 rating by completing 19 of 34 passes with three touchdowns and no interceptions.

His completion rate of 55 percent was nothing spectacular, but he took care of the football by avoiding any turnovers.

With all the positives, though, there were some obvious signs of room for continued growth.

For one, Bradford missed a number of great opportunities to push the ball downfield when receivers had one-on-one coverage with no safety help in the vicinity.

His average of just 6.5 yards per completion needs to improve, and picking up a few big chunks would aid in that regard and open it up underneath for both the run and pass.

Secondly, his failure to consistently progress through reads left some yards and wide-open completions on the table.

For example, Bradford missed a wide-open Zac Stacy out of the backfield for what would have been a sure first down and likely much more. Stacy flared to the right without a Jags defender being within 15 yards, but No. 8 never looked his way. Even though Bradford was not pressured and had time to scan the field, he forced a pass into tight coverage for an incompletion.

Overall, however, the fourth-year St. Louis signal-caller took some solid steps forward in the Week 5 win. More progression should and must occur if the Rams are going to consistently serve up a solid passing attack, but Sunday was a move in the right direction.

Grade: B

(I hope each of you will enjoy the rest of the positional analysis and grades via the full column below. Thanks!):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/10/08/rams-vs-jags-grays-grades-st-louis-win/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/10/08/ram ... louis-win/</a>

Good job Shane.
Nice read.

fearsomefour

Legend
ShaneG said:
fearsomefour said:

True. I am not down on Bradford, I see way more positives than negatives with him. Folks that are calling for him to go really offer nothing as an alternative that promises to be better. The issue of going through reads quickly though, that is a tricky one. I think that just takes time and reps. Sam is conservative with the ball....which makes people howl sometimes, but, if he was slinging it and had 9 pics now instead of 3 people would be howling about that. I think Bradfords improvement has been incremental. Some guys have come into the league and had quick success. Rams fans see that and get frustrated with Bradford, although, it is almost always a case of the team excelling and the QB going with it. We have seen this year what happens in SF when Kap is forced to be the focus of the O....it doesnt work. When they can run Gore and play their brand of D (playing from in front) he looks good....heck in the Texans game he only completed 8 passes. That was a stat line from the 1940s.
I hope the Rams extend Bradford and lower his cap impact and complete this rebuild.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
ShaneG said:
fearsomefour said:

I couldn't actually see the game, but on that particular play Zac would be the checkdown option right? And if I'm right, a lot of criticism is that Sam checks down too fast. So Sam can't do either w/o any criticism? It's kinda ridiculous..."oh he locks down" or "oh he checks down too fast." Sometimes it seems media and fans just look to find a bad play and create a mountain out of a mole hill.

fearsomefour

Legend
Angry Ram said:
ShaneG said:
fearsomefour said:

I couldn't actually see the game, but on that particular play Zac would be the checkdown option right? And if I'm right, a lot of criticism is that Sam checks down too fast. So Sam can't do either w/o any criticism? It's kinda ridiculous..."oh he locks down" or "oh he checks down too fast." Sometimes it seems media and fans just look to find a bad play and create a mountain out of a mole hill.

Speaking of general tendancies. I havent complained about Bradford checking down because most times you cant see what is open or not open down field. There were a couple of times in the Jags game you could see guys open really in the same plane at the guy he went to. I am not really that critical of Bradford and as I have stated over and over again he is the guy as far as Im concerned. Just wondering what would be the possible cause of him not going off of a receiver on certain plays. Who knows? I guess it is not worth asking.