Rams vs. Colts: What to watch for

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
101sports-com_white-wBlackOutlineandDropShadow_logo.png

http://101sports.com/category/misc-blog ... atch-for?/

The St.Louis Rams play their first preseason game on Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts. We asked the guys, what is one thing you will be watching for in the opener?

Zach and the Coach’s Zach McCrite: If this were the first game of the regular season, I would probably say that I was looking to see what this defense can do against the run. With visions of Demarco Murray still dancing in my head, I’m very interested in that. But with the lack of playing time scheduled for the starters, I’ll save that until September 9th.

I want to choose about six or seven things I want to see, but if I have to choose one, I want to see who this team’s de facto defensive coordinator is in suspended coach Gregg Williams’ stead. There’s been a lot of “happy talk” by Jeff Fisher and others that the responsibilities of the D-coordinator role will be “shared.” That sounds good, but there has to be a top dog. There can’t be “too many chiefs,” if you know what I mean. There has to be a sideline boss for that defense.

Fisher likely kept it under the wraps to keep attention away from the situation as a whole, but someone is going to step into the limelight beginning Sunday in Indianapolis. Is it associate head coach Dave McGinnis? Fisher? Or is it someone else? Maybe Blake Williams? He’s Gregg’s son, the linebacker coach and the dark horse for defensive play caller.

It’s such a rare and fascinating situation. I’m interested to watch it on Sunday.

The Fast Lane’s Randy Karraker: There are a couple of things I’m going to be watching as the Rams open up their pre-season schedule against the Colts at sold out Lucas Oil Stadium.

My eyes will head right to the lines. When is the last time Rams big guys beat other teams’ big guys? With Paul Boudreau back as offensive line coach, I anticipate the Rams O-line performing as a unit, rather than as a group of individuals. I’m interested to see how much they’ve gelled in OTA’s, minicamps, and now training camp. Can they protect Sam Bradford, and can they provide a crease for the running backs?

I’m also watching the last two number one draft picks closely. Robert Quinn and Michael Brockers, who haven’t done it before in the NFL, will be charged with playing good, solid all around defensive line. Ironically, I want to see how Quinn handles the running game…I’m not concerned about his pass rush…and I’m interested to see how Brockers does on second- and third-and-long, in the pass rush.

I’m also interested to see how this young team responds to a hostile environment. The Rams have gone just 7-33 on the road in the last five years (8-32 at home, ugh), but Sam Bradford has just two road wins…none since December 5, 2010. Fisher wants to build a team that travels well, and this is a good place to start.