Rams vs. Buccaneers: Contenders for No. 1 draft pick?/Gordo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams vs. Buccaneers: Contenders for No. 1 draft pick?
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/rams...cle_574c5432-4444-55c3-be81-432ccf90540e.html

Jeff Gordon looks at the game between the St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa:

THE MATCH-UP

Two of the league's worst teams square off in the worst game of the week. Both teams are eager to turn the page after losing their opener.

The loser of this game moves right into the race for the first overall pick of the 2015 NFL Draft.

SCOUTING THE BUCCANEERS

Like the Rams, this team hopes to climb back to prominence with a stout defense. DT Gerald McCoy and linebacker OLB Lavonte David are two of the more disruptive defenders in the league.

Head coach Lovie Smith is one of the NFL's better defensive minds. He uses a 4-3 alignment and aims to apply pressure with his base defense and prevent big plays with his "Cover-2" secondary scheme. Unlike Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, he will not dial up a high percentage of blitzes or throw exotic looks at quarterbacks.

The Buccaneers play a fairly simple scheme. The goal is to play it very well and force opponents to get their yardage in small chunks. It can be especially tough on unproven quarterbacks like Austin Davis of the Rams.

Offensively, Tampa Bay wants QB Josh McCown to manage games and RB Doug Martin to pound the ball. Jackson was quiet in Week 1, but he can create match-up trouble against smaller defensive backs -- especially in the Red Zone. So can WR Mike Evans.

POINTS OF EMPHASIS

Rams QB Shaun Hill didn't play much during the preseason. Then he got hurt in the first half of his Rams debut. Then he didn't run the offense this week during the heavy Wednesday and Thursday practices.

He could play in Tampa Bay, but all signs point toward former camp arm Austin Davis running the show. That will make it all the more important for the Rams to get their ground game in gear with RBs Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham. They failed to do so in the opener, partially because untimely penalties kept them from sustaining drives.

After their disastrous defensive performance against the ground-oriented Vikings, they must eliminate all those blown tackles and missed assignments against the ground-oriented Buccaneers. DE Chris Long's absence won't make that any easier, although replacement DE William Hayes is a steady hand.

COACHSPEAK

Rams coach Jeff Fisher discussed Sunday’s matchup after practice sessions at Rams Park. Here were some highlights, as provided by the Rams staff:

On the importance of this game: "We’ve got a huge challenge. We’ve got a similar set of circumstances, although the Bucs made a comeback late and had a chance, nonetheless, both teams lot home openers. As coach (Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith) says down there, they’ve got a lot to improve on, as we do.”

On the Buccaneers offense: “They’re well coached up front, on the offensive line and in protection. They played an outstanding rushing defensive front in Carolina and they did fairly well. The passing game is complicated. He does a really nice job. Josh (McCown) is mobile. He can move around. He’s got outstanding targets outside. Both tight ends are very productive. The ‘rook’s’ (WR Mike Evans) coming on. He’s going to be a very good player.”

On big Tampa Bay WRs Vincent Jackson and Evans: “The height issues really take place down inside the plus territory or if you’re throwing go routes and things like that. They’re good with respect to run after catch and that sometimes can create some problems for you in the short passing game.”

On the need to get more from WR Tavon Austin: “We’re just trying to get the ball in his hands. He needs the ball in his hands in space. I don’t know if I mentioned this earlier in the week, but he was very, very close to going a long way on two punt returns. Secure the ball and take-off and trust your blockers. That’ll be another way that, obviously, we can get some production there.”

On Brian Quick's breakout game: “I was encouraged. The questions that followed the Brian Quick question were, ‘What about (WR) Kenny Britt?’ and my response is, ‘Well if Quick’s got seven catches for 99 yards, the odds are the ball’s not going to anybody else.’ Especially considering we only had 11 drives. But, Brian came on. He made every catch. The only thing that he could improve was the facemask penalty. He’s learned from that. But, he was very productive. Made different types of catches, contested catches-the third down catch where we ended up fourth and one and a half was a good catch, it was a good concentration effort.”

INJURY REPORT

Long (ankle surgery) is on injured reserve. CB Trumaine Johnson (knee) and guard-center Barrett Jones (back) are out for the Rams. Hill (thigh) missed practice time, as did CB Lamarcus Joyner (back).

For Tampa Bay, starters Martin (knee), G Logan Mankins (knee) and DE Adrian Clayborn (elbow) were limited Thursday. Starting DE Michael Johnson (ankle) and TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (ankle) did not practice.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
E-A-T S-H-I-T GORDON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jerkoff:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
No wonder our fan base suffers from mass depression...

IT'S WEEK TWO!!!!!

I swear some of the writers are begging to sign the death certificate of this team.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
No wonder our fan base suffers from mass depression...

IT'S WEEK TWO!!!!!

I swear some of the writers are begging to sign the death certificate of this team.

Well based on week one it's not like it's completely unwarranted

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yea this is horseshit. One bad game and we are suddenly in the race for #1 overall. Right now there are 14 other teams that have a losing record. No team has more than a 1 game lead on us. The race isnt just down to the Rams and Bucs. Fuck these stupid articles and the writers. No wonder our fan base is negative so much, all that is written about the Rams is shit like this. Fkn ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant, just pisses me off.

rdw

Pro Bowler
udSfNTy.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
While this may turn out to be true, I find these types of statements by media types to be both extremely premature and downright annoying. I blame too much alcohol.

smaou8.jpg

A55VA6

Legend
Yeah, so a possible wild card contender to worst team in the league and it's only week 2. Makes sense.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
before I jump on the media, it just goes back to, why don't we ever get on NFLN? Why not ESPN (well, before Mike Sam) We haven't been relevant since 2004. 10 years. It's hard to blame even the most loyal fan...After Bradford went down, I just basically gave up the dream of playoffs....I only wish for the team to play hard, and compete....If they do this, week in, week out, the season is a success......

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Well then Gordo where's your Pittsburgh Steelers included in there? Last night I watched them get their ass whooped!

jjab360

Legend
Well based on week one it's not like it's completely unwarranted
It's not like anyone would be calling the Rams superbowl contenders with a reversed score last Sunday. So why are we now the worst team in the league competing for the no.1 overall pick? These negative overreactions fucking kill me...

AZRamsFan93

I don't recall the Rams being called playoff contenders after Bradford was injured. Do you?

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
It's not like anyone would be calling the Rams superbowl contenders with a reversed score last Sunday. So why are we now the worst team in the league competing for the no.1 overall pick? These negative overreactions freaking kill me...

Okay, It's either that I'm overreacting to our loss or you're underestimating how bad I think we might be based on what I've seen so far. Make no mistake about it, I am in no way rooting against our team, just being realistic. I hope I'm wrong and we turn in a good season.