Rams vs. Broncos: A more involved tune-up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/8/22/4647924/rams-vs-broncos-preseason-2013-schedule-peyton-manning-sam-bradford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/8/22/ ... m-bradford</a>
Rams vs. Broncos: A more involved tune-up
The third game of the preseason is about as close as it gets to a dress rehearsal for the regular season.

The St. Louis Rams are off to Denver this Saturday a Week 3 preseason game against the Broncos. Make no mistake, this game is still about evaluation, but it's also going to have a regular season feel to it, at least as close to a regular season feel as you'll find in exhibition games.

"We haven't been told the amount of snaps we're going to play," Sam Bradford said, "but I would assume that we'd play the whole first half and if not some of the third quarter. I think I'm excited to get out there and play a little bit more, get some more snaps. We still have a lot of work to do, and I think this is a great opportunity for us to improve."

Head coach Jeff Fisher plans to give the starting lineup, with some other players mixed in, at least a full half of play this week.

"Were going to continue to add reps," the coach said. "There's a good chance everybody will play up to half time now dependent on the number of plays. This typically is a bigger game for everybody across the league."

A few players vying for a larger role will get mixed in with the starters this week. Linemen like Chris Williams, Shelley Smith and Joe Barksdale will rotate through. Starting running back Daryl Richardson will see fewer snaps so the Rams can get a better feel for the rest of the running back rotation.

Isaiah Pead and Zac Stacy figure to get a heavy workload with Bradford and the starting offensive line.

More planning, less vanilla

Riddled with injuries and rocked by a six-game suspension for Von Miller, the Broncos still make for a formidable opponent, even in the preseason. Quarterback Peyton Manning, who Fisher knows well from his days in the AFC South, is expected to play this week. The matchup coincides with the Rams' plans to do a little more, to be a little less vanilla this week.

"There's a little bit more planning involved," Fisher said. "We'll give them some more things. We'll equip them with more things during the week. Obviously, it's quite a challenge when you're facing Peyton Manning. We'll have to give our defense a chance to line up and try to get off the field.

"It's not a full blown game plan type of thing, but I think we'll do a little bit more from a preparation standpoint."

Through two preseason games the Rams have been strictly vanilla, not even vanilla bean, just plain, white vanilla. That's not true for the two opposing teams Fisher's squad has faced. The Packers went so far as to blitz some, which isn't a regular part of preseason play. But that doesn't bother the Rams head coach.

"No, it bothers you guys," he said addressing the media after practice this week. "It doesn't bother me. We've got a regular season we're concerned about."

"We're throwing it and we're handing it off It's just I'd like to think we'd be a little bit more creative when the season starts."

Strength of schedule

The Broncos are the second of three 2012 playoff teams the Rams will face this month. It's a tough schedule, even for the preseason.

"It's a great challenge," Fisher said. "We've got back-to-back outstanding quarterbacks and of course, we've got the World Champions. Of course, it's doesn't get any easier once we start."

And that's with a vanilla game plan. Bradford also sees opportunity in the opponents.

"You want to face someone that's going to make you better," the quarterback said. "I feel like all of the defenses that we've seen have made us better, and we're just looking to improve each week to go out and play a clean game, execute what's in the game plan and really try to limit the penalties."

Playing at altitude in Denver this week adds another dimension, but Fisher's had his team preparing for that too. The key, the coach says, is staying hydrated.

Back to basics

The Rams may have a few pages of the playbook on display this week, but this game, like the others, is still about ironing out the basics. It sounds painfully routine. Still, the Rams have struggled with tackling, penalties and general execution of the usual responsibilities on the field.

Players lined up and ran sprints this week, a reward for penalties incurred against the Packers. Pre-snap penalties are a particular burr in Fisher's saddle. Those were a problem for the Rams last season. For example, of the 348 points allowed by the defense last year, 183 of those points came on a drive in which the unit was penalized. Of those points, 80 points came on drives with pre-snap penalties.

Tackling is another area for major improvement. Through two preseason games, the Rams have a missed 19 tackles, including a dozen last week against Green Bay.

Two other areas where Fisher would like to see improvement from his team: kick returns and scoring touchdowns.

The Rams offense has a total of three touchdowns, a passing touchdown from each quarterback. None of the running backs have crossed the goal line, and the rushing offense has yet to find the end zone. In fact, the team is averaging an alarming 3.2 yards per carry in the preseason.

Kick returns have been a problem too. The Rams are averaging 21.7 yards on seven kick returns in two preseason games. It ranks St. Louis 25th for average return yards in the preseason. That number almost exactly matches the total from the 2012 regular season, when the Rams averaged 21 yards per kick return. St. Louis ranked 26th in average return yards last season.

Last week, Jeff Fisher noted that the kick return job was still up for grabs, and that Tavon Austin would probably not be handling those duties. Isaiah Pead has taken the bulk of the returns, averaging less than 20 yards on four attempts. Benny Cunningham and Raymond Radway each have one return, both topping 30 yards.

If ever there was a week to get things on track across the board, this is it.

"I'm excited to get out there and play a little bit more, get some more snaps," Bradford said. "We still have a lot of work to do, and I think this is a great opportunity for us to improve."

nighttrain

Legend
Good read sir, its getting very close to the real games, this one should be a bit of a measuring stick
train

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
On my way to Denver. Can't wait. GO RAMS! :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
MontanaRamsFan said:
On my way to Denver. Can't wait. GO RAMS! :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
There's something about your posts that just mesmerizing :lol:

Milamber11

UDFA
Name
George
I really hope we can actually put up a decent game against Denver, sick of this 'its only preseason', 'team isnt trying' and 'the rookies are in'. I'd be very disappointed if we play the same way we have been in the first few weeks against the browns and green bay. we gotta get some form for week 1! Our defense is in for a treat, up against the general who will get some decent game time.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Milamber11 tired of excuses:
I really hope we can actually put up a decent game against Denver, sick of this 'its only preseason', 'team isnt trying' and 'the rookies are in'. I'd be very disappointed if we play the same way we have been in the first few weeks against the browns and green bay. we gotta get some form for week 1! Our defense is in for a treat, up against the general who will get some decent game time.
I'm jumping on your bandwagon and this is the game where it should happen. I don't care that much about the second half of the game but when the regulars are in there we need to step up like the playoff bound team we are. I want good execution.! Plus no injuries.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Milamber11 said:

It still won't mean anything.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
It will mean we're capable of doing it. Huge boost of confidence for the young guys.

albefree69 said:
It will mean we're capable of doing it. Huge boost of confidence for the young guys.

this was my exact point in the other thread i started. apparently the coaching staff listened to little old me....

in fact, im thinking of changing my name to GamblingCoach, or something of that nature.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I'm excited to see what Pead does with more carries with the first string offense, and I'm also excited or rather hopeful to see what someone else, be that Cunningham or Radaway does with the return game. Please coach, no more Pead in the return game for a while, unless it's as a blocker.

I can tell from articles like these that Fisher's patience is being worn thin with our sub par return game.

There's no question, what defense wouldn't be excited to play against Manning? That should translate into some fun for us fans as well, even though I expect a minimum of game planning and a rather generic defense there as well. If I' were the coach, and the Rams universe is glad I'm not, they need to show they can tackle consistently across the board before they've earned a chance to get off the field early.

I still don't think they need to open anything up. As they said, it's a chance to work on the basics, like tackling and pre-snap penalties. They have a lot to clean up, but in Fisher I trust to know the balance required to get the team ready for the regular season.

Sorry for the long post, I guess I'm babbling, but I'm just excited.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
MontanaRamsFan said:

My lady got us club seats to the game. Taking light rail down so we can have a few cocktails :)

And I can't take my eyes off the bouncing boobs, Montana.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
One of the evaluation issues (obstacles) so far this season has been the aggressiveness by Ram's opponents. After watching part of Denver's 2nd game last week, it's clear these guys don't mess around as a "real football game" broke out in the 1st half against Seattle. I don't know who watched that game, but the intensity and play got pretty serious while the 1's were on the field and for about 20 minutes both teams went at it well beyond a typical preseason game. Naturally, they don't like each other, so that didn't hurt either.

Point being, the Rams had better show up prepared to defend themselves this Saturday, because based upon last weeks game, I suspect Manning and company will do their best to tear the Rams a new one. It's hard to work out the "basics" when you're getting your arse kicked at the same time. My hope is that Fisher adds in sufficient wrinkles to keep these guys from being embarrassed and they can healthy....a daunting task this weekend I suspect.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not sure how concerned I am about seeing new plays. I would like some execution and maybe some other players get some reps with the ones. Maybe oddly enough, I'd most like to see Benny get some returns in. I am not big on Radway. He seems to drop too many balls and I can't see hanging on to him just for return duties. I think Benny will develop into a pretty good RB and ST could be his catching on point.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
Why the heck does Fisher like Pead so much?! You see the stats. You see how horrible he is at kickoff returns. The other guys have done somewhat better

nighttrain

Legend
Angry Ram said:
Milamber11 said:

It still won't mean anything.
:flip: :loogit:
everything means something!
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
DegenR(g)ambler wildly exaggerating:
listened to little old me....
I remember when dirt was still rock. just saying.