Rams vs Bengals: Good, Bad, Ugly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
I've debated even bothering with this. Because it's going to mostly be a bitch fest on my part and I don't want to ONLY do that but there isn't much else to say about this game. So I'll make these fairly brief this week.

Good: Honestly I'm just fighting for scraps here
Tavon Austin and his 60 yard rush was a thing of beauty off of the wildcat of all things and really the only replay worthy thing we did the entire day. Capped it off with a nice 5 yard dash to the endzone. The rest of his day was quiet.

Uh, Hekker is a good punter.

Jared Cook actually caught most of the balls thrown his way.... is this a good thing to note? I don't know but scraps.

Sean Mannion completed 6 of his 7 passes on the last series of the game for an 85.1 QB rating. Unfortunately his average yards a pass was 4.4. Scraps.

Bad:
Zero sacks by the defense. We're hurting without Quinn on that side. I do like Matt Longacre and believe he will be on the regular roster come next season but he can not replace Quinn. Donald was contained for the most part and failed to impress in a game featuring his oft mentioned equal counter part in Geno Atkins who had a sack to go ahead of Donald for most in the league for a DT. I'm jealous of Cincy's o-line.

Our pass defense didn't fair much better which is partly due to poor pressure on Dalton. Roberson seemed exposed most of the day. The Jenkins pass off of AJ Green that gave him a gimme touchdown was embarrassing and probably should go in the ugly section. Tyler Eifert probably would have had a field day on us if he hadn't gotten injured. Jenkins had a nice interception but think it was due more to a bad pass than Jenkins doing anything other than paying attention.

Ugly:
Coaching- across the board was awful. But same ole same ole so not going to spend a lot of time on it.

Tim Barnes- got manhandled by Atkins. Honestly surprised Atkins ended with only 1 sack, was in the backfield all day.

Greg Robinson- just does not look like a tackle at all. His size and quickness "saves" his rear a lot in only that it lets him get into at least a competitive position after starting the play completely wrong. Every pass play it looks like he scrambling for his life to not let the DE just run right past him after he takes what seems like an eternity to process what he should be doing. Oh yeah and double digits now in holding penalties for the year.

The rest of the o-line- more of the same from above. No running lanes at all. No pass protection for the most part. The few plays that worked was basically because Tavon Austin could out run the entire Bengals defense and he got some nice blocks on the outside from Britt and amazingly Cook.

Running into the punter to give a free set of downs close to their endzone that ultimately let them drive for a field goal was the beginning of the end. Defense had a nice stop there and seemed to lose confidence after that.

I'm sure there's more I could list here but meh. I'm tired of thinking about the game lol.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Atkins was absolutely magnificent throughout the game yesterday. That's what Donald looks like to the teams we play against.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

can anyone explain what jenkins may have been thinking when he let ajg loose for the easy score? the guy he ran to was well covered. aren't athletes paid millions supposed to have above average peripheral vision? couldn't he see the other guy was covered?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

can anyone explain what jenkins may have been thinking when he let ajg loose for the easy score? the guy he ran to was well covered. aren't athletes paid millions supposed to have above average peripheral vision? couldn't he see the other guy was covered?

Reminded me of some of the miscommunication we saw last year... but there hadn't been very much of that this year thus far.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just went back and rewatched that play and both Jenkins and McLeod (I think it was Mcleod but couldn't see the jersey number) jump the underneath route which as you said was already well covered by Joyner. I would say Jenkins expected McLeod to help above but at the same time there was no need for either to jump the underneath route cause Joyner was all over it. As Palmer is throwing the football his eyes are in line with the underneath route but also where AJ Green is going. I think both just gambled and lost unfortunately. In the end it was Jenkins coverage responsibility whether Mcleod was supposed to provide support or not.

tEaBUID.jpg

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I just went back and rewatched that play and both Jenkins and McLeod (I think it was Mcleod but couldn't see the jersey number) jump the underneath route which as you said was already well covered by Joyner. I would say Jenkins expected McLeod to help above but at the same time there was no need for either to jump the underneath route cause Joyner was all over it. As Palmer is throwing the football his eyes are in line with the underneath route but also where AJ Green is going. I think both just gambled and lost unfortunately. In the end it was Jenkins coverage responsibility whether Mcleod was supposed to provide support or not.
*Dalton

FRO

Legend
Good:
The Bates almost interception. That guy can absolutely jump. What an athlete.