Rams vs Bears: Gray's Grades/Analysis From the St. Louis Win (101ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Quarterback:

St. Louis Rams quarterback Kellen Clemens failed to replicate a dazzling Week 10 outing against the Indianapolis Colts that resulted in a 140.6 quarterback rating, but Sunday’s body of work was more than sufficient to augment a great running game and help secure a victory vs. the Chicago Bears, who entered the game at 6-4 and in first place in the NFC North.

Clemens completed just 10 of 22 passes (45 percent), but managed to avoid any turnovers while throwing for 167 yards and tossing a key touchdown pass. His performance resulted in a respectable 86.7 rating.

On several occasions, Clemens showed outstanding pocket awareness and corresponding elusiveness before completing critical passes – such as a big third-and-19 conversion to rookie wide receiver Stedman Bailey.

The veteran Clemens – now with a full season’s worth of career starts under his belt at the age of 30 – is taking his success in stride.

“I’m just grateful for the opportunity. I really am,” Clemens said. “I’m in there with a great group of guys. Receivers are making plays. Jared Cook had some big plays for us again today. Then, obviously again, it goes back to the offensive line. They’re giving me a lot of time, and then, we’re running the heck out of the ball. I’m really humbled just to be here and trying to enjoy the moment.”

In listening to teammates like tight end Cook, it is obvious that the locker room has a great deal of confidence in the veteran signal-caller.

“Kellen’s a great quarterback,” Cook said. “We’ve always had confidence in Kellen. He communicates well. He really leads this offense to do great things and he can make plays with his feet, so he’s been doing a tremendous job of just getting us down the field and putting us in great positions where we can just keep the chains moving.”

Grade:

(Hope each of you enjoy the full read below with unit grades and analysis for each position group and the coaching staff with extensive quotes):

http://www.101sports.com/2013/11/27/rams-vs-bears-grays-grades-st-louis-win/

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When a running game generates a mind-boggling 258 yards on 8.9 yards per carry and your quarterback is sacked just twice and hit three times, an offensive line’s grade is really a no-brainer.

Even with multiple injuries and corresponding changes, this unit has continued to perform exceptionally well. For example, an early-season injury to right tackle Rodger Saffold forced Joe Barksdale into action. When Saffold returned from injury, he and Barksdale shared a platoon role on the right side.

Later, an injury to right guard Harvey Dahl forced Saffold to slide inside to right guard for the first time in his career, and it’s been a so-far, so-good type of transition thus far.

Sunday’s start against Chicago marked Saffold’s second start at his new spot, and Fisher feels he is adjusting well to his new position.

“He’s getting a good feel for it, (including) the schemes,” Fisher said. “He had a guy in his face this week, and I thought he did a nice job with that. His pulling courses are much improved, and he was a big part of the run game. And in pass protection, he’s doing fine.”

As for the unit as a whole and its stellar run blocking, there may not be another O-line in the league that is consistently opening up holes the way St. Louis’ line is. It’s been a revelation for the offense as a whole and has helped open up the passing game by making the play-action pass more effective.

I wonder what caused this running game to explode all of a sudden?? what has changed the last few weeks....oh yeah Roger Saffold was inserted in @ OG.....wonder what that says for my favorite OL'er Harvey Dahl does not look positiove for him what has happen since he went out with the injury three games ago...Since Harvey went down the Rams have rushed the ball off the charts not seen in a long long long time ?

It could bring to question when Harvey is 100% will he return to his former starting post? that would be a good question for a separate post if the running game continues to perform do you bench Saffold?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No it's not b/c Harvey is out. The run game started getting better weeks before he got hurt.

Also no don't bench Rodger Saffold. Move him to LG and put Harvey @ his old spot. Best 5.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No it's not b/c Harvey is out. The run game started getting better weeks before he got hurt.

Also no don't bench Rodger Saffold. Move him to LG and put Harvey @ his old spot. Best 5.

Your response does have merit to it... I would agree with you and I would not remove Saffold from the OL for any reason just insert him @ OLG thus letting his NFL yr resume indicate that he has started @ four OL positions and did very well @ all of them!

Looks like we were just winding up!...Going back the last 6 games... 3 with Harvey ending @ ORG and the 3 without Harvey there in the ending...

3 games (Texans/Panthers/Seahawks) With Harvey 362 yds rushing,4.3 yds per with 19 rushing 1st downs & ZERO rushing TD's.
3 games (Bears/Colts/Titans) W/out Harvey 558 yds. rushing, 5.7 yards per attempt with 23 rushing 1st downs & SIX rushing TD's

But I do swear the running holes look bigger as the season wears on!:heh:

nighttrain

Legend
Very good grading on all units Shane, secondary is young but this experience will hopefully benefit them next season. They have to step it up
train

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It's amazing how much more accurate I find Shanes grades than I do Gordos.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When a running game generates a mind-boggling 258 yards on 8.9 yards per carry and your quarterback is sacked just twice and hit three times, an offensive line’s grade is really a no-brainer.

Even with multiple injuries and corresponding changes, this unit has continued to perform exceptionally well. For example, an early-season injury to right tackle Rodger Saffold forced Joe Barksdale into action. When Saffold returned from injury, he and Barksdale shared a platoon role on the right side.

Later, an injury to right guard Harvey Dahl forced Saffold to slide inside to right guard for the first time in his career, and it’s been a so-far, so-good type of transition thus far.

Sunday’s start against Chicago marked Saffold’s second start at his new spot, and Fisher feels he is adjusting well to his new position.

“He’s getting a good feel for it, (including) the schemes,” Fisher said. “He had a guy in his face this week, and I thought he did a nice job with that. His pulling courses are much improved, and he was a big part of the run game. And in pass protection, he’s doing fine.”

As for the unit as a whole and its stellar run blocking, there may not be another O-line in the league that is consistently opening up holes the way St. Louis’ line is. It’s been a revelation for the offense as a whole and has helped open up the passing game by making the play-action pass more effective.

I wonder what caused this running game to explode all of a sudden?? what has changed the last few weeks....oh yeah Roger Saffold was inserted in @ OG.....wonder what that says for my favorite OL'er Harvey Dahl does not look positiove for him what has happen since he went out with the injury three games ago...Since Harvey went down the Rams have rushed the ball off the charts not seen in a long long long time ?

It could bring to question when Harvey is 100% will he return to his former starting post? that would be a good question for a separate post if the running game continues to perform do you bench Saffold?

In my opinion, they have to continue to go with what is working so well. Don't change what's excelling, right? Saffold is playing outstanding at guard, so -- if anything -- move Dahl in on the left side if they feel he is the best option there.

STL-Rams

Starter

Yes, run game had picked up before Dahl went out. I also agree with you that Saffold must stay in the lineup. Not sure I'd move Saffold again as this is already a new spot for him. If I was going to move anyone, I think I'd move the veteran instead. There could be an argument made both ways as to who could be moved easier, however, and both could be justified.

STL-Rams

Starter
Your response does have merit to it... I would agree with you and I would not remove Saffold from the OL for any reason just insert him @ OLG thus letting his NFL yr resume indicate that he has started @ four OL positions and did very well @ all of them!

Looks like we were just winding up!...Going back the last 6 games... 3 with Harvey ending @ ORG and the 3 without Harvey there in the ending...

3 games (Texans/Panthers/Seahawks) With Harvey 362 yds rushing,4.3 yds per with 19 rushing 1st downs & ZERO rushing TD's.
3 games (Bears/Colts/Titans) W/out Harvey 558 yds. rushing, 5.7 yards per attempt with 23 rushing 1st downs & SIX rushing TD's

But I do swear the running holes look bigger as the season wears on!:heh:

Yes, seems like those holes are getting bigger and bigger. They are doing a great job without a doubt.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Quarterback:

St. Louis Rams quarterback Kellen Clemens failed to replicate a dazzling Week 10 outing against the Indianapolis Colts that resulted in a 140.6 quarterback rating, but Sunday’s body of work was more than sufficient to augment a great running game and help secure a victory vs. the Chicago Bears, who entered the game at 6-4 and in first place in the NFC North.

Clemens completed just 10 of 22 passes (45 percent), but managed to avoid any turnovers while throwing for 167 yards and tossing a key touchdown pass. His performance resulted in a respectable 86.7 rating.

On several occasions, Clemens showed outstanding pocket awareness and corresponding elusiveness before completing critical passes – such as a big third-and-19 conversion to rookie wide receiver Stedman Bailey.

The veteran Clemens – now with a full season’s worth of career starts under his belt at the age of 30 – is taking his success in stride.

“I’m just grateful for the opportunity. I really am,” Clemens said. “I’m in there with a great group of guys. Receivers are making plays. Jared Cook had some big plays for us again today. Then, obviously again, it goes back to the offensive line. They’re giving me a lot of time, and then, we’re running the heck out of the ball. I’m really humbled just to be here and trying to enjoy the moment.”

In listening to teammates like tight end Cook, it is obvious that the locker room has a great deal of confidence in the veteran signal-caller.

“Kellen’s a great quarterback,” Cook said. “We’ve always had confidence in Kellen. He communicates well. He really leads this offense to do great things and he can make plays with his feet, so he’s been doing a tremendous job of just getting us down the field and putting us in great positions where we can just keep the chains moving.”

Grade:

(Hope each of you enjoy the full read below with unit grades and analysis for each position group and the coaching staff with extensive quotes):

http://www.101sports.com/2013/11/27/rams-vs-bears-grays-grades-st-louis-win/

Good article Shane.
I think you've got a good bead on things.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes, run game had picked up before Dahl went out. I also agree with you that Saffold must stay in the lineup. Not sure I'd move Saffold again as this is already a new spot for him. If I was going to move anyone, I think I'd move the veteran instead. There could be an argument made both ways as to who could be moved easier, however, and both could be justified.

I would bet that if Saffold was asked if he had an option from playing Right or Left Saffold would select LEFT with Jake Long. He has always played LEFT side in college & for three NFL seasons... Not so sure I would insert Harvey Dahl on the left side. He has always played RIGHT OT in college & his first few NFL seasons before Boudreau moved him inside to RIGHT OG. Harvey has been the Ram starter for 3 seasons now & yes Saffold has been here longer but it has been Harvey's post. One would think Boudreau would want the OL to be solid & jelled in their assignments...Having Harvey move to the left side for the first time in his college & pro career may not get the same results as he would back @ ORG. Saffold has been on the move for a year now ...and proved to be very good @ wherever he plays.....Rams needs to lock him up NOW!

A left side with Jake & Rodger would be amazing! If the duo of Joe & Harvey is lacking then we know we have issues with them. But as far as the argument that Saffold should stay where he is...me thinks that Saffold makes the right side very strong & makes up for the run blocking whiffs or the passive run blocks of Joe Barksdale .....so I agree with you. But since starting OLG Chris Williams is with brain cloud & Saffold has been the #1 reserve it makes sense that Saffold would go there to play when or if he returns. If Harvey is still out then Shelley Smith will take up the OLG spot and he does well too.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't say this in reference to Jeff's grades at all, but thank you for the kind words.

You're welcome...and I'm just being honest.

Jeff Gordon...When he basically says that Kellen Clemens was mediocre for the game but threw a TD pass and the team won...so therefore he gets an A....huh? How about the guy gets a C+ or a B- since he didn't play well but came up when needed. To me that is more accurate. Just giving a position an A because the team won is stupid.

That's like saying that the dline gave up 300 rushing yards, but Brockers sacked the QB for a safety that scored 2 points in a 32-30 game...therefore A.

STL-Rams

Starter
I would bet that if Saffold was asked if he had an option from playing Right or Left Saffold would select LEFT with Jake Long. He has always played LEFT side in college & for three NFL seasons... Not so sure I would insert Harvey Dahl on the left side. He has always played RIGHT OT in college & his first few NFL seasons before Boudreau moved him inside to RIGHT OG. Harvey has been the Ram starter for 3 seasons now & yes Saffold has been here longer but it has been Harvey's post. One would think Boudreau would want the OL to be solid & jelled in their assignments...Having Harvey move to the left side for the first time in his college & pro career may not get the same results as he would back @ ORG. Saffold has been on the move for a year now ...and proved to be very good @ wherever he plays.....Rams needs to lock him up NOW!

A left side with Jake & Rodger would be amazing! If the duo of Joe & Harvey is lacking then we know we have issues with them. But as far as the argument that Saffold should stay where he is...me thinks that Saffold makes the right side very strong & makes up for the run blocking whiffs or the passive run blocks of Joe Barksdale .....so I agree with you. But since starting OLG Chris Williams is with brain cloud & Saffold has been the #1 reserve it makes sense that Saffold would go there to play when or if he returns. If Harvey is still out then Shelley Smith will take up the OLG spot and he does well too.

You make some great points re: the left side and that could well be his sentiments based on his history.

STL-Rams

Starter
You're welcome...and I'm just being honest.

Jeff Gordon...When he basically says that Kellen Clemens was mediocre for the game but threw a TD pass and the team won...so therefore he gets an A....huh? How about the guy gets a C+ or a B- since he didn't play well but came up when needed. To me that is more accurate. Just giving a position an A because the team won is stupid.

That's like saying that the dline gave up 300 rushing yards, but Brockers sacked the QB for a safety that scored 2 points in a 32-30 game...therefore A.

Hope you got a chance to check out the entirety of the column and all the position grades. Hope your Thanksgiving was a great one.