Rams under most pressure in 2014 NFL Draft/Jeremiah

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jeremiah: St. Louis Rams under most pressure in 2014 NFL Draft

By Bryan Fischer
College Football 24/7 writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...t-louis-rams-under-pressure-in-2014-nfl-draft

If you think you have a lot of pressure in your job, let's just say there are plenty of NFL head coaches who would gladly bet you that you're wrong. From the fans to the media to the owner, it's not exactly a walk in the park to guide an NFL franchise successfully in this day and age.

Heading into the 2014 NFL Draft you would think that there are a ton of new head coaches around the league that are already facing heat to get things right with such a deep draft class. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah agrees that the pressure is already on for many of those guys, but it's a current coach who will really be under the microscope to get things right at Radio City Music Hall in May.

"I think he has more pressure on him than anybody else in this draft," Jeremiah said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft". "How about the St. Louis Rams and Jeff Fisher? They get more draft picks from (the Robert Griffin III trade) and this is the last year. They have two (first-round) picks, No. 2 and No. 13. Eventually, with all these picks and this talented roster, this team needs to start winning football games and getting to the playoffs."

Part of the reason why the Rams ended up 7-9 last year was because of the loss of starting quarterback Sam Bradford to an ACL tear. There's talent on the roster to work with, however, and it's clear St. Louis fans are looking for a much improved squad no matter what shape their quarterback comes back in.

The team passed on signing any top tier free agents in the offseason, but did fill a few holes here and there. It's clear Fisher and general manager Les Snead are looking at the draft as the chief way they can close the gap on division rivals like the Seahawks and 49ers.

"They are in a very tough division, it's a big challenge for them," said Jeremiah. "They need a home run in this draft."

St. Louis holds 12 picks in the draft (tied for most of any team in the league) and could end up flipping the No. 2 overall selection into even more if the team finds the right trading partner. They're in search of impact players with their first-round picks though and it still remains to be seen what direction they end up going.

If the Houston Texans opt to select a quarterback with the first overall pick, the Rams could have the draft's best player fall into their lap in Jadeveon Clowney. He's not necessarily at a position of need with Robert Quinn and Chris Long on the roster, but Fisher seemed to take no issues with him being the pick by saying recently that you can't have too many pass rushers.

Indeed, it never hurts to have a guy as talented as Clowney chasing after Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick.

Offensive tackle, safety, cornerback and wide receiver are a few other positions Jeremiah sees the team needing to address through the draft. Adding Greg Robinson out of Auburn and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix from Alabama would be two nice young pieces for the Rams if that's how things play out in May.

Or, the team could follow analyst Charles Davis' recent mock draft and go with Sammy Watkins and Clinton-Dix in the first round.

Either way, no matter who St. Louis drafts this year, it could be a make-or-break situation for Fisher.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's not a make-or-break year for Fischer. We fans still remember how horrible it is to ride the carousel of bad coaches and FO. If we go 7-9 again, we get a new QB and keep Snicher. Snicher then gets another 3 years to develop him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
"it could be a make-or-break situation for Fisher"

I highly doubt that. With the talent the Rams have now I expect a very good season.

The draft is important but Quinn took 3 seasons so...? Can we judge this season's draft this season?

Doubt it. We judge the last three season's drafts this season.

If Rams are all about impact players it will be Clowney / Mathews first pick.

Yes?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
"it could be a make-or-break situation for Fisher"

I highly doubt that. With the talent the Rams have now I expect a very good season.

The draft is important but Quinn took 3 seasons so...? Can we judge this season's draft this season?

Doubt it. We judge the last three season's drafts this season.

If Rams are all about impact players it will be Clowney / Mathews first pick.

Yes?

Yup, it's all about 3 year cycles. Unless you're Cleveland.

Rockman

UDFA
Wow. This guy is outta touch. This is not make or break. I don't see the pressure idea either. No different than anyone else.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Fisher signed a 5 year contract. He gets at least next year without even being considered on the hot seat. He might get a bit of a pass because of our division as well.

FRO

Legend
I think it's more likely that Fisher gets an extension than the ax.

GreenMays

UDFA
Fisher signed a 5 year contract. He gets at least next year without even being considered on the hot seat. He might get a bit of a pass because of our division as well.

That is the only reason Fisher might not get fired with another .500 season. Since 2008, the Rams have had three straight top 2 overall picks (Long, Smith, Bradford), Robert Quinn in 2011, and then including 2014 three straight years with 2 first round picks. I haven't done the math on the draft pick value the Rams have had since Fisher took over, but I would be surprised if anyone is anywhere near them.

If you are just happy with 'winning' the draft, than sure Fisher makes sense for 2 more years. But I would like to see a winning season at some point. Or at least not losing so many games by 20+ points (this year vs. DAL, SF, ARI, SEA)

FRO

Legend
I'm on the fence. Its one thing to build a roster but you must produce wins on Sundays.
The 5 years before Fisher we won 15 games. In Fisher's 2 years we have won 14. I would call that an improvement. Also last year we won 7 games without our QB for a large chunk and without a DC all year.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
All about wins, if we don't win at least 9 games I'll be sharpening my pitchfork.
I'd give Fisher another year, just because we have the youngest team in the NFL...again, and we are in such a tough division. I would expect the Rams to win 8-9 games at least this year, but a lot of things can go wrong that are out of the control of the coaching staff.

I'd give Fisher another year, just because we have the youngest team in the NFL...again, and we are in such a tough division. I would expect the Rams to win 8-9 games at least this year, but a lot of things can go wrong that are out of the control of the coaching staff.

We're the youngest team because we've been in such a good position with all of the draft picks, for me it's not an excuse.

Every other team in our division manages to win in it, I don't see why we should be any different.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fisher gets evaluated after 4 years IMO. I also think(hope) he's here for the next 10-15 years.
Snisher are building a long haul operation here. The division is stacked right now, but i don't see the other three teams' success being sustainable. If things work out, we draft well, and with a little luck Fisher's Rams should be the king of the hill in a couple years. I hope this regime gets the chance to see it through.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Always a "make or break" year for someone. We went 7-9 with Kellen Clemens starting half the year in the toughest division in football. That earned Fisher some time. Now, if we faceplant next year, that's a different story. But I don't see Fisher being on the hot-seat if the team is a 7-9 win team again. But boy would I love it if we won 9 or 10 games.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
There will be more talent on the Rams this year than several of the playoff teams from last year.

Fisher has got to get them playing to their ability and then some. And I believe he will providing one thing happens.

I look at teams like the Saints and Colts, who we crushed, and I see teams with less overall talent than the Rams. But they have a winning attitude, they expect to win. And of course, they believe in their QB.

It overwhelmingly comes down to Bradford. He needs to stay on the field, and he needs to get the players around him to totally buy into him as the guy who will always give them a chance to win.

I remember the team believing in him during his rookie year. He needs to show the fortitude to recapture that confidence. And it will be harder now after the fall from the aura of the #1 pick QB.

Can he do it? That's the $99,000 question.

It's been done before. Case in point, Terry Bradshaw. He was a mess his first 4 years, getting benched twice. But he fought back.

Sam is gonna get opportunities this year to show he can take a big hit, make the big play, and lead his team to a big win. He either does it, or they look for a guy who will.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
There will be more talent on the Rams this year than several of the playoff teams from last year.

Fisher has got to get them playing to their ability and then some. And I believe he will providing one thing happens.

I look at teams like the Saints and Colts, who we crushed, and I see teams with less overall talent than the Rams. But they have a winning attitude, they expect to win. And of course, they believe in their QB.

It overwhelmingly comes down to Bradford. He needs to stay on the field, and he needs to get the players around him to totally buy into him as the guy who will always give them a chance to win.

I remember the team believing in him during his rookie year. He needs to show the fortitude to recapture that confidence. And it will be harder now after the fall from the aura of the #1 pick QB.

Can he do it? That's the $99,000 question.

It's been done before. Case in point, Terry Bradshaw. He was a mess his first 4 years, getting benched twice. But he fought back.

Sam is gonna get opportunities this year to show he can take a big hit, make the big play, and lead his team to a big win. He either does it, or they look for a guy who will.
Great post. This team needs some help, but if they can stay healthy, split games in division and win the ones they should outside of it, we could be in for a playoff birth. Time for an attitude change for this team. Less false bravado and more mature, expect to kick some ass pride. Go RAMS!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

IMO, Colts wouldn't be making the playoffs in the NFCW. They benefit from being in the NFL's weakest division.

The Saints have Drew Brees. When you have a top 5 QB, you typically will contend.

I believe a winning attitude is circular. In order to have a winning attitude, you have to win. Not to say that attitude isn't important, need to have a strong locker-room and leadership or else things will fester and spiral when your team runs into obstacles.

However, I don't think attitude is an issue right now for the Rams. Just need to have the right combination of talent, luck(with injuries), and coaching. We're getting closer. Too bad our division went from terrible to dominant once we started to accrue talent.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
IMO, Colts wouldn't be making the playoffs in the NFCW. They benefit from being in the NFL's weakest division.

The Colts were EASILY the weakest playoff team the last two years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't plan on Fisher leaving, except when he wants to retire.

I'd like to see him coach here like Cowher. He's your coach. The ebbs and flow from season to season are what the entire management team is to manage.