Rams unable to get out of Boston in time to meet with Shanahan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So the Rams are interviewing too many so they have no clue. They didn't make it to ATLANTA in January during snow storms in both locations with an unknown by fans schedule so they are inept. They probably won't interview Tedford or Saban or Urban for the job so no one wants to be our coach. They are interested in McVay so they want a young, inexperienced coach who will take orders from above and not question Snead or Demoff.

I'm sure I've missed a bunch of theories relating our complete and utter failures in our coaching search. But it was fun participating in the hand wringing.

Sorry for being a dick but why does everything have to be an indictment of the organization?

Let's just hope we get our guy and he's the right one.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
So the Rams are interviewing too many so they have no clue. They didn't make it to ATLANTA in January during snow storms in both locations with an unknown by fans schedule so they are inept. They probably won't interview Tedford or Saban or Urban for the job so no one wants to be our coach. They are interested in McVay so they want a young, inexperienced coach who will take orders from above and not question Snead or Demoff.

I'm sure I've missed a bunch of theories relating our complete and utter failures in our coaching search. But it was fun participating in the hand wringing.

Sorry for being a dick but why does everything have to be an indictment of the organization?

Let's just hope we get our guy and he's the right one.

Could not have said it better.... it is amazing how no matter what happens, the sky is falling.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

As soon as the Rams start winning more games then they lose you will have an indictment of the organization, when they start winning consistently, it won't be. Rams only team that could not interview Shanahan, everyone who wanted to did, that's why.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As soon as the Rams start winning more games then they lose you will have an indictment of the organization, when they start winning consistently, it won't be. Rams only team that could not interview Shanahan, everyone who wanted to did, that's why.
Sorry. Not buying it. If not the Shanny thing then enter the next. I realize as well as anyone what our success rate has been. Just tired of so many acting like everything is an obvious fuck up by the organization.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Sorry. Not buying it. If not the Shanny thing then enter the next. I realize as well as anyone what our success rate has been. Just tired of so many acting like everything is an obvious freak up by the organization.
It's easier to criticize than to boost up. And too many people look for the easy way out.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
OK, but where the clueless non-snowbirds in Atlanta prepared to handle planes coming in in adverse cold conditions? As someone who lived in Missouri for nine years, it's embarrassing seeing this city freak out over what would be considered mild cold conditions up north.

Good question and I don't know the answer to that lol. Hope that was the case, would feel better if it was Atlanta causing the issues only because I know there were flights out of Hanscom and Manchester

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, Broncos will hire Shanahan because after this playoff game Vance Joseph will be crossed off everybody's list.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think fans are upset that Shanahan wasn't the top priority. He may have been the Rams top priority, but the Rams may not be Shanahan's. I'm sure Shanahan is gunning for Denver. It is what it is.
Exactly.
With Kevin Demoffs father being Shanahan's agent, the Rams may already know that

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Guess we'll just have to settle for the best candidate, Sean McVay :whistle:

FRO

Legend
Exactly.
With Kevin Demoffs father being Shanahan's agent, the Rams may already know that
Also Denver seems to be honed in on a couple guys while the Rams are casting a wide net. Casting a wide net can be good, but it also makes it hard to prioritize a singular guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some thoughts here re: this situation...

First I presume they knew they might get snowed in, and kept their travel plans as they were. Which tells us their interview list either does not have "favorites" like all us fans do, or that Shanny was not the guy on top of that list.

Second, they have a big decision to make here. Waiting for a possible window next week, or even the following Monday if Atlanta gets eliminated by Seattle (assuming it breaks down the way I personally expect it to) is probably a bridge too far for this organization. On each of these guys' lists there will be crossover with those positional coaches, and a key element to this hiring cycle will be who gets that 10% of those best positional coaches.

Now, that said, the Shanny clan is probably the best option as fit for the Rams. And additionally, they are probably the strongest bloc as it pertains to being able to get those positional coaches to wait for him. But it's still introducing additional risk, when undoubtedly one or two of these other guys impressed them. Add the element of Denver as competition for Shanny, and it's road of great risk for us.

So IMO waiting another week will most likely not be a good thing. And I think the Rams will come to that conclusion. Or so I hope.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I love Boston. Great city. I recommend the duck tour.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also Denver seems to be honed in on a couple guys while the Rams are casting a wide net. Casting a wide net can be good, but it also makes it hard to prioritize a singular guy.
Denver also interviewed half of these guys 2 years ago so they've got a shorter list of people for the first round of interviews. That's the reason they're linked so heavily to Vance Joseph because Elway said he really liked him when he hired Kubiak.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Broncos will hire Shanahan because after this playoff game Vance Joseph will be crossed off everybody's list.
Actually on Monday Denver will announce Joseph is their hire.

Ram65

Legend
I don't think the New England interviews were a priority although they did interview both coordinators, however, it's easier to fly from Boston to Atlanta and back to Los Angeles, but the Rams blew this IMHO, but I have posted about this enough.

Rams have advantages over the Broncos IMO, they can pay him more money, the Broncos ownership is in flux and John Elway can be a pain in the ass. Anyway, we shall see how this plays out and hopefully, the Rams will have an opportunity to interview and in the meantime maybe ESK & Demoff can add a meteorologist to the payroll.

I respect your opinions on coaches because you know your stuff. By your logic that the Rams have advantages over the Broncos then Shanahan would be smart to wait a week or two.

I found this article about flights out of Atlanta being cancelled on Friday. I'm trying to find the Demoff and Co travel schedule as to when they went to Boston. Looks like they could have had trouble getting into Atlanta on Friday. I assume they flew out to Boston on Friday and would have done the same if they went to Atlanta first. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2017/01...eave-some-travelers-stuck-at-atlanta-airport/
Flight cancellations leave some travelers stuck at Atlanta airport
Dozens of travelers settled into chairs and spread out on the floor of the domestic terminal atrium at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport on Friday night, preparing to wait hours or spend the night until they could catch flights out.

Delta and Southwest cancelled hundreds of flights due to the snowstorm hitting Atlanta. Additional flights to Fort Lauderdale were cancelled in the wake of the shooting Friday at the airport there.

Still, on Friday night, a number of flights continued to arrive and depart at Hartsfield-Jackson.

But airlines thinned out their flight schedules, cancelling some flights to allow extra time to de-ice each plane before taking off.

“I was here in Atlanta this week, and I was trying to go home,” said traveler John Norman from Houston, whose Friday afternoon flight was cancelled.

“It was the perfect storm, if you will, with the weather changing and everything associated with it,” Norman said. On the carpeted floor on the upper level of the terminal atrium, Norman said he “found a place to relax, so that has been good.”

The upper level of the domestic terminal atrium at Hartsfield-Jackson on Friday evening.

Shiraine Wilson, who was planning to fly from Atlanta to Washington, D.C., found after arriving at Hartsfield-Jackson at around 6:30 p.m. that her flight was cancelled. She was rescheduled to fly out Saturday.

With no snow in sight yet and rain falling in Atlanta early Friday evening, Wilson said: “There’s barely anything going on outside,” yet the flight was still cancelled. “We’re just frustrated that we can’t leave today.”

Some travelers arrived at Hartsfield-Jackson on Friday night for flights departing Saturday, because they didn’t want to risk missing flights due to treacherous roads.

“I worried about the traffic because it’s snowing, so I came very early,” said traveler Cen Chen, a student at Georgia State University who was at the airport Friday evening and planned to fly to Beijing Saturday morning.

In the airport’s domestic terminal atrium, “it’s very hard to find a place to sit,” Chen said. His plans were to surf the Internet, watch videos and otherwise kill time until his flight.

Brooke Sands of Fort Lauderdale was returning home after a trip to Boston when she got stuck during a layover in Atlanta. She learned about the shooting at the Fort Lauderdale airport before arriving in Atlanta and was told that the flight to Fort Lauderdale she planned to take was cancelled.

After arriving at Hartsfield-Jackson at 4:30 p.m. Friday, Sands anticipated waiting until a departure around 8 a.m. Saturday morning, for a flight into West Palm Beach instead of Fort Lauderdale.

Sitting on the floor of the terminal, Sands said, “It’s been crazy because I don’t know what to do with myself.” With her luggage next to her, she said: “I just don’t feel comfortable falling asleep.”

The domestic terminal atrium of Hartsfield-Jackson on Friday evening.

Traveler Stu McIntire was headed from Boston to Jackson, Miss., where he grew up, to attend a funeral for an old friend, and had a connection in Atlanta.

But he said just before getting to Jackson, his flight was diverted due to weather and redirected to Montgomery. But the plane was not able to land at Montgomery either, and ended up returning to Atlanta.

Upon arriving at Hartsfield-Jackson, he said he found airport hotels were booked and he was not able to get his luggage, which had been checked through to Jackson. McIntire also said he received conflicting information from the airline, adding: “Probably nights like this are so complicated and confusing.” He decided to try to fly standby Saturday morning.

“A lot of people have been freaking out. Just losing it. Blaming it on the airlines,” McIntire said. In the customer service line, “there were people screaming” at customer service agents, McIntire said.

Stu McIntire of Melrose, Mass. in the domestic terminal atrium at Hartsfield-Jackson

“It’s weather. What are you going to do?” McIntire said. “This is inevitable in the winter. It just happens sometimes.”

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Actually on Monday Denver will announce Joseph is their hire.

Really? Excellent, care to extropoluate on where you received this information? Not doubting it, but I guess they really liked him last time.

FRO

Legend
Denver also interviewed half of these guys 2 years ago so they've got a shorter list of people for the first round of interviews. That's the reason they're linked so heavily to Vance Joseph because Elway said he really liked him when he hired Kubiak.
Very good point.