Rams’ Tyler Higbee also could be in line for a contract extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

1567610183717.png

By Gary KleinStaff Writer
Sep. 3, 2019

A contract extension for quarterback Jared Goff is not the only new deal for a member of the offense that the Rams are exploring.Tight end Tyler Higbee is in the final year of his rookie contract. He is scheduled to earn just over $2 million this season, according to overthecap.com. “I do my job on the field,” Higbee said this week, “that will all work itself out.”

The Rams drafted Higbee in the fourth round of the 2016 draft, the same year they traded up 14 spots to select Goff with the No. 1 pick. Unlike first-round picks, teams cannot exercise fifth-year options on players selected in Rounds 2-7. So Higbee is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season. “I’ll let the front office and my agent handle that,” Higbee said, “and just focus on playing ball and do my work.”

Tight end Gerald Everett is developing into the playmaker the Rams envisioned when they selected him in the second round of the 2017 draft.But Higbee has steadily improved every season, and is listed as the starter on the Rams’ unofficial depth chart heading into Sunday’s opener against the Carolina Panthers.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Which Rams players are next in line for contract extensions after Goff?

By: Cameron DaSilva | 37 minutes ago

usatsi_11240597.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

In an unexpected move Tuesday, the Los Angeles Rams agreed to terms on a four-year extension with Jared Goff, paying him $134 million with $110 million guaranteed. It was one of the last pieces of the puzzle in Los Angeles, joining Sean McVay and Les Snead in receiving new contracts this offseason.

But who could be the next domino to fall? The Rams have given out contracts during the season before, and quite a few players could receive extensions at some point soon.
Here are seven players who could be next in line for extensions either this year or after the season.

CB Marcus Peters
The likeliest player to receive a contract extension next is Peters. The Rams have remained quiet on this front for some time, but the same was true about Goff. For all we know, the Rams plan to sign Peters this week before the season opener. Not likely, but the front office also said Goff wouldn’t get a new deal until 2020.

Signing Peters now would come with some risk, but there could also be some benefits. His stock is relatively low right now after a shaky first season in L.A., so perhaps the Rams could get a slight discount before he becomes a free agent.
Aqib Talib’s contract will also expire after this season, so the Rams are thin on cornerbacks. Signing Peters to an extension should be on their priority list.

OLB Dante Fowler Jr.
usatsi_11976627.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Fowler just signed a $14 million extension in March, so he won’t get a new deal before at least midway through this season. The Rams will probably let him play out the full 2019 season before considering an extension, but Fowler is clearly someone the coaches and front office love.

A big season will drive his price up, potentially out of the Rams’ range after giving Goff a four-year extension. However, the Rams aren’t exactly set at outside linebacker beyond this season. Fowler could provide some stability, though at a high cost.

ILB Cory Littleton
USATSI_11920559.jpg

Linebacker is one of the Rams’ weakest positions, and it looks even worse when you take Littleton out of the equation. That could be a realistic scenario in 2020, when Littleton is set to become a free agent. He’s been paid very little up to this point after going undrafted in 2016, earning $3.1 million this season after making no more than $630,000 in any year previously.

Littleton is an important piece of the defense and special teams unit and seems like someone the Rams would love to keep around. The trouble with that is the possibility of Littleton wanting to test the market and make as much money as possible next offseason. If the Rams can sign him to an extension now, they might be able to save some money in the long run.

TE Tyler Higbee
usatsi_12829636.jpg

Higbee is an underrated candidate for a new contract. If Everett doesn’t show that he can be an unquestioned No. 1 tight end, the Rams might re-up Higbee and continue with this committee approach until Everett’s deal runs out. Higbee won’t break the bank for the Rams, either.

He doesn’t receive much recognition or praise, but Higbee is an important piece of the offense. He’s good in pass protection, is a willing blocker in the running game and has the body type of a real red zone weapon – albeit, with unsure hands.

Don’t be surprised if the Rams re-sign Higbee before his contract expires in 2020.

RG Austin Blythe
usatsi_11976636.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Blythe was a quality starter last season at right guard despite working through some ups and downs over the course of the year. The Rams have some questions on the offensive line coming up with Andrew Whitworth likely retiring after this season and Joseph Noteboom potentially sliding over to left tackle, so keeping Blythe beyond this season might not be a bad idea.

If he doesn’t sign an extension, he’ll be a free agent in March. He’s not a player who’s going to break the bank unless he breaks out in 2019, but Blythe is a solid player who can alleviate some headaches up front by returning.

WR Cooper Kupp and SS John Johnson
usatsi_11328768.jpg

Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports

Kupp and Johnson are linked together because they can’t technically sign new contracts right now. They’re eligible for extensions after this season, based on rules in the CBA. However, both players figure to be in the Rams’ long-term plans so signing them sooner rather than later would be a smart move.

The safety market erupted this offseason thanks to Earl Thomas, Kevin Byard, Tyrann Mathieu and Landon Collins, so the line has been set for Johnson. Wide receivers will continue to get paid each year, so getting ahead of the curve with Kupp is something the Rams should consider. He’s an important part of the offense, as evidenced by the eight games he missed last year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Littleton, JJ3, and Kupp are the guys I'd extend before Higbee. I like him, but those guys come first. Especially Littleton, since he's a free agent this year, and because he's the only one of our linebackers who's exceptional in coverage.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I haven't felt the desire to question this regime's moves of late so I'm just going to figure they have a plan and are going to work that plan.

For all of our prognosticating about salary cap and what we can pay who, we seem to extend key players and FAs.

Obviously, we can't sign everyone we'd like as fans. But I'm thinking they'll find a way with most.

TexasRam

Legend
Littleton, JJ3, and Kupp are the guys I'd extend before Higbee. I like him, but those guys come first. Especially Littleton, since he's a free agent this year, and because he's the only one of our linebackers who's exceptional in coverage.

Agreed. We have to make cuts somewhere and sign guys critical pieces and those are the exact guys I sign before the others. JJ3 is making like 800k this year. Talk about value.

We have the depth in my book to let Fowler and Peters bounce.

I also would sign Blythe, He sucked in the Super Bowl but otherwise is a very solid piece for us right now.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It depends on what it takes to sign Higbee. He's a solid TE, but not a star. If he signs early a reasonable contract, so the Rams don't have to draft a TE early this coming year, that's a good thing. If the Rams let him go, they will need to use an early pick to replace him, that should be used for the secondary or the OL.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I don't think it would be difficult to replace his production, you just can't pay everyone.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Littleton is destined for the franchise tag - even with Wagner and Mosley's deals, it's one of the cheaper positions to franchise.