Rams trying to work out a long term deal with CB Trumaine Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That sounds like a solid deal. His agent should know by now that he's not exactly got people pounding down his door.

A chance to play in Wades defense should excite him on the possibility to increase his brand. When you run a top defense teams tend to look hard at which players are part of it.

I like Trumaine. He's a very solid CB in my book and I want him around this year making plays for Las Ramos.

On the other hand he could get this 16 million this year and sign a more market rate contract with his new team next year. If I was his agent I will tell him to play out the tag. It sucks for us but that's what happens when management makes wrong choices

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure what to think of the situation. I like Tru. But he's certainly not elite. Top 15 though for sure. I would say 8-9 million per year would be fair for both sides.

$8 million to $9 million per year simply isn't happening. Tru will get somewhere around $12.5 million per year (give or take $1 million).

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
On the other hand he could get this 16 million this year and sign a more market rate contract with his new team next year. If I was his agent I will tell him to play out the tag. It sucks for us but that's what happens when management makes wrong choices
Then again, if Tru is injured late in the 2017 season and misses half of 2018, he may be looking for another agent.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Yeah ... but if the Rams offer him in the 12.5-14 mil. range and he DOESN'T hit the marks .. well ... he over played his hand not to sign the new deal. He obviously didn't hit those #'s last season. His play dropped off. So he really is going to gamble himself IF he plays out under the contract and the Rams offer him the $13-14 mil per range. Cause then he hits the market next yr under performing. I think it is within both teams interest to get a FAIR deal done now.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
If we sign him long term - which I think could be a smart option.

In Devaney We Trust.

Devaney will orchestrate the contract to get Tru paid and help the Rams out in the long term. Seems he's always doing so.

Think if we can get a Tru contract extension with a large guarantee that gets us under the cap now and something we can slide out of in the future. The Devaney way.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

In Devaney We Trust.

Devaney will orchestrate the contract to get Tru paid and help the Rams out in the long term. Seems he's always doing so.

Think if we can get a Tru contract extension with a large guarantee that gets us under the cap now and something we can slide out of in the future. The Devaney way.
:stop:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

In Devaney We Trust.

Did we hire someone named Devaney?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

In Devaney We Trust.

DeVaney ...... well ... I don't think he has much to do with this but .... Snead/Demoff might get some credit ;)

Ram65

Legend
Yeah ... but if the Rams offer him in the 12.5-14 mil. range and he DOESN'T hit the marks .. well ... he over played his hand not to sign the new deal. He obviously didn't hit those #'s last season. His play dropped off. So he really is going to gamble himself IF he plays out under the contract and the Rams offer him the $13-14 mil per range. Cause then he hits the market next yr under performing. I think it is within both teams interest to get a FAIR deal done now.

ReddingRam the $6.4 Million question is:

What is a fair deal for both sides?

Include the contract length, guaranteed money and total money for the fair deal.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
1) Tru is never gonna agree to a $9 million salary in today's pass happy NFL cap world. He would be good value at $60 million for 5 years with heavy guaranteed money, tbh

This is exactly what I would think; with the heavy guaranteed money, signing bonus up front. They do need to get a deal done this time, or they let him walk for sure next year. If they can lock him up long term, I do think however it does affect their thinking for this year's draft, as they would have a starting CB on the roster going forward (barring injury concerns of course). Anyway, I'd like to keep Tru at a reasonable salary.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Is he worth all that? I don't see it. Add in injury prone and the only logical response is "he'll no"

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'm with @CGI_Ram on this, ... take a wait and see approach. If he fits what Phillips desires as our future role in his position, then try to sign him, otherwise let him enter free agency. Either way, I draft a CB in a strong class of CB's. I'm not going to lose sleep over TruJo, he's out for the money & not a top 10 player at his position, i'm in for developing a new attitude & culture, if that means tweaking his spot, I'm in. jmo.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
$8 million to $9 million per year simply isn't happening. Tru will get somewhere around $12.5 million per year (give or take $1 million).

Exactly. The top CBs available in free agency got:

Trufant 5 yr / 69 million 42 mil guaranteed (extension)
Bouye 5 yrs/ 67.5 mil 26 mil guaranteed
Gilmore 5 yrs/ 65 mil 40 mil guaranteed
Ryan 3 yrs/ 30 mil 16 mil guaranteed

Where does TruJo fit in that group? Top? I doubt it.

And he's got 16.7 coming already. They're going to have to give him 4 or 5 years @ 55-65 mil with 35-45 mil guaranteed just to interest him. If they make it so they don't get hammered....if he stays for all of it (which isn't the norm) or if they let him go after 2 or 3 years, that would be great. We'd move on and he'd be young enough to sign another 3 - 4 year deal. Or, they do what they've done, tag him in 2017, then let him go to free agency.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

And he's got 16.7 coming already. They're going to have to give him 4 or 5 years @ 55-65 mil with 35-45 mil guaranteed just to interest him. If they make it so they don't get hammered....if he stays for all of it (which isn't the norm) or if they let him go after 2 or 3 years, that would be great. We'd move on and he'd be young enough to sign another 3 - 4 year deal. Or, they do what they've done, tag him in 2017, then let him go to free agency.
The tag can still be pulled after the draft...and it should be.
Let the CB needy teams draft their CB's, then pull the tag and let him hit FA. He's not worth 16 plus mill, but 10 -12 mill average would be fine by me. If a deal doesn't get done this year, it's not going to get done.
I can't see a situation where we tag Tru twice, then still sign him to a big contract.

Ram65

Legend

I been wonder what deal Tru and the Rams could agree on. I think this may be a little high. I was thinking 26 to 36 Million guaranteed money. If Tru gets really hurt this year he does lose out. I guess the 4 year deal at 13.5 Million is about right for 55 Million or the 65 for 5 years at 13 Million. If you raise the guaranteed money you can lower the average.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Let the CB needy teams draft their CB's, then pull the tag and let him hit FA. He's not worth 16 plus mill, but 10 -12 mill average would be fine by me. If a deal doesn't get done this year, it's not going to get done.
I can't see a situation where we tag Tru twice, then still sign him to a big contract.

no it cant, he already signed. hes guaranteed that money now

TexasRam

Legend

Small problem with these comparisons. Trumaine has a history or injuries. Multiple years.

He has also had some down years, where he doesn't stack up with the Trufants and Gilmores of the world.

When I said 8-9 million sounds good that was from the Rams perspective. Of course he will want more.

You tell me which organization is going to give him 40 million guaranteed money to a CB that is constantly injured and has only been the #1 corner for a team one year. A year in which he got
Toasted white a lot.

The number will need to be well below those listed above. I'm not giving more than 10 million a year and 40 guaranteed to an often injured corner you isn't even a number 1 CB.

Also, Trumaine doesn't have as much leverage as you think. There is a huge risk in playing this year. You may get 16 million but for a corner that always gets
Injured your playing Russian roullete with your long term contract.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Tag has been signed it can't be pulled. He's under the contract.