Rams trying to work out a long term deal with CB Trumaine Johnson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7530/trumaine-johnson

Player Page
Los Angeles Rams
Age / DOB: (27) / 1/1/1990
Ht / Wt: 6'2' / 208
College: Montana
Drafted: 2012 / Rd. 3 (65) / LAR
Contract:

LAR.png

LATEST NEWS
RECENT NEWS

The Rams are now open to signing franchise player CB Trumaine Johnson to a long-term deal.
They have until July 15, the point after which no franchise players can be signed to extensions. The Rams tried shopping Johnson in trade talks, but no teams were willing to meet their demands. A big motivation for extending Johnson's deal is that it would lower his albatross of a cap charge ($16.742 million). Apr 9 - 2:14 PM
Source: ESPN.com
  • Rams now open to long-deal with Johnson
    Apr 9 - 2:14 PM
  • Rams likely to keep Trumaine Johnson?
    Apr 6 - 12:40 PM
  • Report: Browns could target Trumaine Johnson
    Mar 7 - 5:01 PM
  • Report: Rams shopping Trumaine Johnson
    Mar 7 - 2:55 PM

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I always thought the trade talk had no legs, at the current state of things. He just doesn't feel marketable at the level we are paying him, and the level an extension would cost as a result.

I'd be very careful here, Rams. I hate this cap hit, but at least it's just one year. An extension could make things worse.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I always thought the trade talk had no legs, at the current state of things. He just doesn't feel marketable at the level we are paying him, and the level an extension would cost as a result.

I'd be very careful here, Rams. I hate this cap hit, but at least it's just one year. An extension could make things worse.
I'm not sure what to think of the situation. I like Tru. But he's certainly not elite. Top 15 though for sure. I would say 8-9 million per year would be fair for both sides.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
If they signed Tru to a long-term deal, I think it would mean that they would not be drafting a corner early at all, probably not until at least the fourth round

TexasRam

Legend
I'm not sure what to think of the situation. I like Tru. But he's certainly not elite. Top 15 though for sure. I would say 8-9 million per year would be fair for both sides.

That sounds like a solid deal. His agent should know by now that he's not exactly got people pounding down his door.

A chance to play in Wades defense should excite him on the possibility to increase his brand. When you run a top defense teams tend to look hard at which players are part of it.

I like Trumaine. He's a very solid CB in my book and I want him around this year making plays for Las Ramos.

Ram65

Legend

I was hoping the trade had legs but, with all the CB talent in the draft and the money it didn't make sense. I'm leaning toward the one year deal. I still wonder if he would have value as the season moves on and a trade before the trade deadline at the end of October. A team in the hunt that suffered an injury or two at CB could make an offer. The Rams got Barron before the trade deadline.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/28/7083447/2014-nfl-trade-deadline-rumors

MAXWELL

UDFA
his agent has no idea (actually, he probably has a very good idea) what teams would offer because tru has never been free to test the market. it is nearly impossible to sign a long term deal with $16M as a baseline. Even if they had to overpay and average $13M per season (you all are crazy if you think he signs for anything under $12M per - and that would likely be for a team he really wanted to play for), tru would probably expect that on top of the $16M and the rams would want the $16M included. anyway, who knows, but i think the most likely thing is he is finally a free agent next year, and then he will be gone. players don't hit the market to return to bad teams. they only stay if the bad team overpays. we know this very well as rams fans.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I would like him better if he stayed healthy

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Two things I want to comment on so far in this young thread.

1) Tru is never gonna agree to a $9 million salary in today's pass happy NFL cap world. He would be good value at $60 million for 5 years with heavy guaranteed money, tbh.

2) Even if Tru signs an extension, how in the world does that diminish the value of a CB prospect that's BPA at #37? Short answer? It doesn't. If a player is BPA, he's BPA. So, IOW, a CB could still be the pick at #37 in the extension scenario outlined.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Will take at least 10-12 to get him signed. I like the idea of signing him. No more than 3 to 4 years though.

FRO

Legend
You already let 3 of your 4 talented DB starters from 2015 go. Get Tru locked up long term. He is a very good CB. They don't necessarily grow on trees. It's hard to win championships without paying and sometimes over paying top guys. What good is a healthy cap situation if you lose every year?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
You already let 3 of your 4 talented DB starters from 2015 go. Get Tru locked up long term. He is a very good CB. They don't necessarily grow on trees. It's hard to win championships without paying and sometimes over paying top guys. What good is a healthy cap situation if you lose every year?

Not signing Janoris Jenkins was a huge mistake
I still can't get over it
So you gotta do damage control and sign Trumaine to a long-term deal

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The fact that there were no takers on a trade for Tru, has to have an enlightening effect on his value. If he was a 15 mill a year CB, a trade would have been made. However, he is not.
I believe his agent priced him out of the market. Especially with all the young talent at the CB position entering the league this year. Add in the fact that he has a history of injuries.
Maybe this will bring his agent back down to earth and get a fair deal done.
I would like to keep him. Our team does not get better by letting him walk. Even trading him has no guarantees. He's a good player, not a HOF player.

WAKE UP TRU! GET A DEAL DONE!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The fact that there were no takers on a trade for Tru, has to have an enlightening effect on his value. If he was a 15 mill a year CB, a trade would have been made.

That's the tricky thing... With $16.7MM due this year, he's getting paid really well for a single season. So... if he considers an extension, that 16.7 he's still going to want... even if it's spread out a little.

I worry, at this point, an extension will be too rich.

I'd let him play for the 1 season. There is risk for him doing so... so if we are prepared to let him play under this deal, he may feel a little more pressure to negotiate. And... if not... then we are off the hook with a ton of cap next year.

I don't want to lose the guy... But, he's not worth that kind of money. Just not that kind of stud.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
Two things I want to comment on so far in this young thread.

1) Tru is never gonna agree to a $9 million salary in today's pass happy NFL cap world. He would be good value at $60 million for 5 years with heavy guaranteed money, tbh.

2) Even if Tru signs an extension, how in the world does that diminish the value of a CB prospect that's BPA at #37? Short answer? It doesn't. If a player is BPA, he's BPA. So, IOW, a CB could still be the pick at #37 in the extension scenario outlined.

If they sign Tru to a long term contract before the draft I am pretty sure they would address other needs besides CB. I understand the BPA theory but it could be used for literally any position on the team besides QB, HB, Punter and Kicker. It's a very deep class and they could find value in the 3rd or 4th and address a more pressing need with their 2nd such as WR, TE, C, LB, OG, DE...all of which in my opinion need help more than corner but that's only IF they sign him to a long term deal

Ram65

Legend
[GALLERY=media, 224]Screenshot CB $$ by Ram65 posted Apr 9, 2017 at 6:00 PM[/GALLERY]
http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/
These are steep.With Tru already at 16.7 Million year one. He would have to get close to Josh Norman's 36 Million guaranteed money and 14-15 Million a year. Maybe you can get him down to 28-30 Million guaranteed money. He is in the cat bird seat. His previous injury history makes it too risky.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
At this point I hope they just let him play under the tag and hopefully he dominates like a top 3-5 cb and we pay him like top CB money and hes continues that play the rest of his career.

One can dream, right?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not signing Janoris Jenkins was a huge mistake
I still can't get over it
So you gotta do damage control and sign Trumaine to a long-term deal

JJ was going to the highest bidder, these guys WANT to hit the market because the rookie deals are so small now compared to the past.

We have to live with it.........

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
JJ was going to the highest bidder, these guys WANT to hit the market because the rookie deals are so small now compared to the past.

We have to live with it.........

I am trying,
but i had to ditch my favorite avatar :LOL:
And..... I just think we got stuck with the "Fisher" guy in Tru (Montana) instead of the more talented player in JJ