Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
For sure. But you'd think his agent would only tell him, if there were teams talking with the Rams. By him saying that hes "still" on the trade block, that would mean talks are being had, no? My thoughts on it at least.

The timing is suspicious, although it could also be just another meaningless tweet reminding us he's still here. I'd like to believe something is in the wind, but this is a bit vague for me to make anything of it just yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Absolutely emabarassing that he would play off like he knows someone on the inside, then run a report on twitter that he knows someone from SRAMs HQ, who told him in private on another forum..

Why? Talking heads in the media do it all the time.

tempests

Hall of Fame
It also includes 3 years when he didn't out play his contract, and couldn't stay on the field.
He's had 1 good season in his first 5 years and is the highest paid CB by far in the league.

Tru has more INTs as a Ram than any CB they've drafted since 1997. He limited opposing QBs to a 67.1 passer rating when throwing in his direction from 2012-2015.

He's already signed and played through a team friendly deal. It's not his fault the Rams couldn't take advantage.

The rookie wage scale was and continues to be disproportionate. Jenkins and Johnson are only now getting the piece of the pie they should've been getting all along.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If a trade is going to happen, there will have to be a long term contract involved that Tru, his agent, and new team agree upon. jmo.

That would be the only way I'd trade for him. But if there is a reasonable contract out there long term, why haven't we been able to do one? Like DB said, "if it's legal".....and if it is, seems like somebody has to over pay. We're already doing that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That would be the only way I'd trade for him. But if there is a reasonable contract out there long term, why haven't we been able to do one? Like DB said, "if it's legal".....and if it is, seems like somebody has to over pay. We're already doing that.

--Well say a team wants him that has the cap space ? Say it is for a 3rd pick ?? Maybe add a player ?? The team would get a 3rd comp pick the follow year wouldn't they ??

That way The Rams have a pick when they don't have a first & don't lose Tru for nothing this season .
--Just wondering.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Tru has more INTs as a Ram than any CB they've drafted since 1997. He limited opposing QBs to a 67.1 passer rating when throwing in his direction from 2012-2015.

He's already signed and played through a team friendly deal. It's not his fault the Rams couldn't take advantage.

The rookie wage scale was and continues to be disproportionate. Jenkins and Johnson are only now getting the piece of the pie they should've been getting all along.

I've never heard of anyone thinking that the current rookie wage scale was unfair. I thought rookies making more than established veterans with years of proven play was unfair, a tragedy, and bad for business. It was unsustainable.

Plus, every contract is a gamble for the team but rookie contacts are a bigger gamble. Their isn't a reliable history to show the team how the rookie will perform. The player only has to play well enough to not get fired. The team needs the player performing up to or beyond the level of the contract. The team can waste money by paying a player that isn't performing. The player isn't really wasting anything or losing in any fashion. They get paid based on a guess of how they will perform.

What is unfair is a rookie with 0 games played against NFL talent getting paid more than players who have put in solid years. Most rookies don't outperform the rookie contact. Just like every other job in the world, if the employer isn't sure you can do the job, takes a risk in hiring you, spends their own money and time to train you to do what they want, and waits patiently months or years for you to be successful, them you will make less money than a proven performer. That's what a rookie contact is, an agreement to pay a player while they train test their performance. Those types of agreements will always pay less than a proven expert with several years of success in the industry, regardless of where you work or what industry you're in.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
--Well say a team wants him that has the cap space ? Say it is for a 3rd pick ?? Maybe add a player ?? The team would get a 3rd comp pick the follow year wouldn't they ??

That way The Rams have a pick when they don't have a first & don't lose Tru for nothing this season .
--Just wondering.

Tru isn't a free agent, we franchised him and wouldn't get a compensation pick by trading him. If he remains on the team this year and leaves as a free agent in 2018, then we might qualify for a 2019 comp. pick. I say 'might' because the formula for comp picks is rather complicated, based on how many quality free agents your team signed and how many of your own free agents signed and played well elsewhere, and the various size of the contracts, etc.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We gotta stop putting our faith in Gaines that's part of the reason we are in this mess in the first place. I don't see Tru being back at all next year so either we trade him this year or he walks next year. We have to double down on CB in the draft. If Gaines perform that's great but at this point we should assume the worst

Gaines isn't a press man corner either. If he had played last year like his rookie year they would be trying to trade him too.

What I suspect is going on is the Rams plan on adding two CBs in the draft regardless since they know Tru is gone next year, and figured why not move Tru if they can. I don't think they're hell bent on moving him, as it would be crazy to tag him if that were the case. So yeah, I trust Wade too, and if he thinks he can stack the secondary with Tru leaving so be it. This is definitely the draft to do it in.

I think they want two corners in this draft too. They figured that if they got a high enough pick for him then it would make it easier to get a good one. I am guessing that they were asking for a second round pick, since reports were that the asking price was very high.

--Just wondering.

Comp picks are cancelled out by players a team signs. Wentworth would have cancelled the Rams getting a third round pick for Tru next year if they had let him walk. So, they franchise him in hopes of a trade and they beat the system. They are trying to make sure they get something for him. If they don't trade him and don't sign a top free agent next year, then they could get the comp pick. But that seems unlikely.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I could see the Rams packaging Tru for a move up vice the direct pick compensation. His value is of course depending on a team gettin him to agree to a deal, but could see that happening.

It would also mean they really, really like the CBs they project being able to get of course.

Again though I hope he plays for us this season. Think he will look great under Wade.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm pro Tru. I have no problem paying him big money on a one year deal. He is a very solid CB. Is he a little overpaid, yes. Can we find a CB to replace him in Rd 2, yes. But there is a good deal of risk involved.

Teams that go deep in the playoffs consistently: Pats, Broncos, Seattle. All 3 teams have top tier CB play.

If I have to shell out some cash for a unit it would be the secondary.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Comp picks are cancelled out by players a team signs. Wentworth would have cancelled the Rams getting a third round pick for Tru next year if they had let him walk. So, they franchise him in hopes of a trade and they beat the system. They are trying to make sure they get something for him. If they don't trade him and don't sign a top free agent next year, then they could get the comp pick. But that seems unlikely.
Whitworth is a 10+ year vet so he would net a 5th round comp at best.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tru had 1 good season and was paid what the rookie scale called for. Last year he was nowhere near "worth" 14 mill
He's good, not upper echelon, cant stay on the field for 16 games and his DC isn't even sold that he can fit in the system.
He's like Bradford, great at making money playing football despite not being great at playing football

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again though I hope he plays for us this season. Think he will look great under Wade.

Ok, then what? Now you have to re-sign Donald, Ogletree and a guy who is coming off a 2 year 31.5 mill deal and is looking to get paid?

jap

Legend
I personally wouldn't mind if they found a way to jettison Tru and his ridiculous contract. The Fisher regime really screwed this one up. They should have fought to keep Jenks who was clearly the better CB, but, in all honesty, I cannot blame Jenks for wanting to leave The Fisher King's Horns. I would rather run with Webster, EJ, and a couple of press coverage rookie CB's than to waste such a substantial chunk of the salary cap on Tru.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Tru had 1 good season and was paid what the rookie scale called for. Last year he was nowhere near "worth" 14 mill
He's good, not upper echelon, cant stay on the field for 16 games and his DC isn't even sold that he can fit in the system.
He's like Bradford, great at making money playing football despite not being great at playing football

I think you pretty much nailed it, dieter.

Let us pray for a decent trade pre draft.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yep. The CB cap situation has not been handled very well by this FO. They have kind of painted themselves into a corner at this point. I would prefer they reach an agreement with Tru on a 3 or 4 year front loaded deal so they will have the $ for AD and other FAs next season.

Realistically, we don't have to worry about AD or Tree for 2 more years right? However, I think the Rams would rather get AD under contract sooner and have probably already built that into their plans. So stagger the deals as you go. Bottom line is, I think Tru is a guy we should try to keep as long as the price is reasonable. We are paper thin at CB IMO. You can't just assume he can be replaced with equal talent in this draft.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Realistically, we don't have to worry about AD or Tree for 2 more years right? However, I think the Rams would rather get AD under contract sooner and have probably already built that into their plans. So stagger the deals as you go. Bottom line is, I think Tru is a guy we should try to keep as long as the price is reasonable. We are paper thin at CB IMO. You can't just assume he can be replaced with equal talent in this draft.

Tree will be a free agent next year, 2017 is his 5'th year option season.

Donald would enter his 'option year' in 2018 and could become a free agent in 2019.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I hope they keep him and sign him to an extention. Great teams find a way to keep they're best players..... and in my opinion..... although the salary cap will be in much better shape...... our defense will suffer this year from his absence. Now these are my options and you are welcome to yours............ when Wade got to Denver they drafted Roby pretty high and yet he still remains 3rd on they're depth chart.... I have a hard time believing the rams have a chance at being an upper echelon defense without Tru....I also believe Tru was a fantastic press corner coming out of the draft.... and I doubt any one on our roster or second round draft pick will play better than Tru this year..... yes I trust Phillips. ...at this point....not sure it is his call.........but either way....

Go Rams........ ;)