Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Just doesn't seem right. I suppose that as a non exclusive Franchise player Tru's agent could have talked numbers and got an idea of what's out there. But once he signed the tender? Just doesn't seem to make sense.

the Rams seemed to make it clear they werent going to sign him to a long term contract without getting a good look at him in wade's system. So he could have realized an extension wasnt going to happen (at least not for a few months if at all) so he signed the tag in case any freak accident were to happen in the coming months. if both were trying to work out a long term deal and the rams only used the tag to buy themselves more time he may have waited to sign it, a la Josh Norman last year. Its tough to know for 100% what happens behind the scenes, but to me it seemed clear no extension was imminent so there was really no reason for him to hold out on signing the tag, nor has there been any indication he wouldnt be open to signing an extension if the right offer came along

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
So if tru leaves that means the cb situation is troy hill, joyner, gaines, and probably the backup from denver plus the draft.

Well, first, I can't remember the last time the rams secondary didn't lose significant time from injuries to the starters so if the usual injury hits, the cb coverage is already in trouble without tru-not jinxing it, just being realistic.

I don't like joyner on the outside, and gaines is bit of a question mark. I hope his play last year was just due to injury lag and not what we will see going forward.

Deep draft but I see where maybe 7 cb's could go in the first round and it isn't exactly a reliable science picking 3rd round successes, so the cb pick would have to be the rams first selection, and still, he's a rookie.

Unless someone trades a 2nd rnd pick or Cleveland swaps 2nd plus their 3rd so we can trade back into the 2nd, then I prefer to have one bird in the and keep tru for now. I think he has the probable monster year under Phillips and he will want to show everybody, especially his teammates, that's he's worth the ridiculous salary he'd be getting this year, as well as a nice long term deal next year.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yea this is what I also saw, but I heard it had no legs.
Huh? what? Legs?
Style Inspirations For Girls With Long Legs 3.jpg

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I'm not convinced Tru is going anywhere... I agree that he is going to be overpaid this year unless he is signed to an extention lowering his total cap hit each year. And that a extention cannot happen until he is tried on the field... and Phillips can see what Tru is as a cover man..... but even then.... I have some questions?

1. Is a 2nd round pick enough compensation for a top 12 corner ( depending on scheme, or what it turns out he is best at.) Press man or off? Arent quality corners hard to come by?

2. Won't it be very unrealistic to expect a rookie corner from round 2 or 3 to give you what Tru will in 2017?

3. Do we really need the cap space with what prospects are left in free agency?

4. Didn't our coaching staff all profess coming in that they're job was that of teaching not just coaching..... and great coaches adjust (tweek) they're scheme to the talent , so they get the most of they're best players?

Now I know Tru had a down year in coverage in 16....as our pass rush also suffered. But it is possible that Gaines recovers this year and starts to become the corner that we thought he was after his rookie year...it is also possible that Tru is a great press corner and the previous scheme didn't afford him the opportunity. Just thinking aloud. .. help? Thoughts?

Go Rams........ ;)

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm not convinced Tru is going anywhere... I agree that he is going to be overpaid this year unless he is signed to an extention lowering his total cap hit each year. And that a extention cannot happen until he is tried on the field... and Phillips can see what Tru is as a cover man..... but even then.... I have some questions?

1. Is 2nd round pick is not enough compensation for a top 12 corner ( depending on scheme, or what it turns out he is best at.) Press man or off? Arent quality corners hard to come by.

2. Won't it be very unrealistic to expect a rookie corner from round 2 or 3 to give you what Tru will in 2017?

3. Do we really need the cap space with what prospects are left in free agency?

4. Didn't our coaching staff all profess coming in that they're job was that of teaching not just coaching..... and great coaches adjust (tweek) they're scheme to the talent , so they got the most of they're best players?

Now I know Tru had a down year in coverage in 16....as our pass rush also suffered. But it is possible that Gaines recovers this year and starts to become the corner that we thought he was after his rookie year...it is also possible that Tru is a great press corner and the previous scheme didn't afford him the opportunity. Just thinking aloud. .. help? Thoughts?

Go Rams........ ;)

if tru and gaines play all season, I think we are set for awhile at CB. Denver guy plays the slot, try our honey badger, joyner, at FS, keep barron at ilb. If we hit on a cb in the draft, and tru has a good year, maybe we sign and trade him next year for a first round pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just doesn't seem right. I suppose that as a non exclusive Franchise player Tru's agent could have talked numbers and got an idea of what's out there. But once he signed the tender? Just doesn't seem to make sense.

I'm pretty sure the Rams can allow Tru's agents to talk with other teams for them to work on an extension. But the Rams would not be the ones re-signing him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty sure the Rams can allow Tru's agents to talk with other teams for them to work on an extension. But the Rams would not be the ones re-signing him.
I don't know what the rules are and I certainly trust your opinion. Just doesn't seem right, or in the spirit of the franchise tag. It wasn't designed for teams to trade guys, and it puts Tru firmly in the driver seat.

RamWoodie

Legend
I don't like this move with McDonald also in question for the secondary. Those two are the foundation of the secondary.

jap

Legend
I don't like this move with McDonald also in question for the secondary. Those two are the foundation of the secondary.

Tru and TJMac were arguably the foundation of Greg Williams' secondary. However, this is the SonOfBum's baby now, and he prefers CB's who excel at press coverage, rather than the mostly zone coverage that Williams used to run.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know what the rules are and I certainly trust your opinion. Just doesn't seem right, or in the spirit of the franchise tag. It wasn't designed for teams to trade guys, and it puts Tru firmly in the driver seat.

I feel similarly. But the Rams gotta do what they have to do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I prefer we keep him this year. He will play well under Wade, and the Rams only need to find one corner in the draft.

Let him walk next year and collect the round 3 pick. You don't need to get value for all your FAs, that last year can be very valuable too.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if tru and gaines play all season, I think we are set for awhile at CB. Denver guy plays the slot, try our honey badger, joyner, at FS, keep barron at ilb. If we hit on a cb in the draft, and tru has a good year, maybe we sign and trade him next year for a first round pick.

We gotta stop putting our faith in Gaines that's part of the reason we are in this mess in the first place. I don't see Tru being back at all next year so either we trade him this year or he walks next year. We have to double down on CB in the draft. If Gaines perform that's great but at this point we should assume the worst

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the Rams trade him, it will tell you what Wade Phillips thinks of Tru's fit in his defense. I trust Wade Phillips.

What I suspect is going on is the Rams plan on adding two CBs in the draft regardless since they know Tru is gone next year, and figured why not move Tru if they can. I don't think they're hell bent on moving him, as it would be crazy to tag him if that were the case. So yeah, I trust Wade too, and if he thinks he can stack the secondary with Tru leaving so be it. This is definitely the draft to do it in.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

View: https://twitter.com/andrewj0nes/status/841125367154913280

Is this anyone here? I'm not trying to call anyone out by any means, but this person claims to have heard on a Rams forum from a a Rams employee that the Tru to Miami trade rumors may indeed have legs. I'm skeptical and tweeted him in two separate posts to clarify whether he was going off the rumors that were swirling on twitter and posted here in our forum, or what board he was talking about that has an employee from the HQ ballsy enough to leak Rams info. Like I said, I'm skeptical but I figure I ask if this was anyone here.

I have a hunch Mr. Jones is posing as an insider and going off info our board and running it as if he knows an insider.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Is this anyone here? I'm not trying to call anyone out by any means, but this person claims to have heard on a Rams forum from a a Rams employee that the Tru to Miami trade rumors may indeed have legs. I'm skeptical and tweeted him in two separate posts to clarify whether he was going off the rumors that were swirling on twitter and posted here in our forum, or what board he was talking about that has an employee from the HQ ballsy enough to leak Rams info. Like I said, I'm skeptical but I figure I ask if this was anyone here.

I have a hunch Mr. Jones is posing as an insider and going off info our board and running it as if he knows an insider.

Hmmmmmm.
@phinsreport305
@RamFan503
Coincidence?
I think not.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Not me but I hope he's right.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Oh boys, I'm balls deep in proving this clown a fraud. For those who have twitter I suggest you log on his profile and read.

Absolutely emabarassing that he would play off like he knows someone on the inside, then run a report on twitter that he knows someone from SRAMs HQ, who told him in private on another forum..