Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
freak getting a pick next year. We need it next month. Stand firm our young buck, coach. Snead, help, if necessary, but do not take less than a 2nd rnd pick. You just offered him to be the highest paid cb for Christ's sake.

Well being the devil's advocate , by trading for a 3rd they get a better pick & a year earlier in a deep CB draft.

After The Rams scouting the combine they could have found a steal at a great price. Then it clears cap space to build
with value players to help fill the roster.

Moving on is not a bad thing. Tru is holding all the cards .

Plus side he is playing for another contract if he stays. Not sure the Browns budge .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I couldn't disagree more. Quinn is a perfect fit as a ROLB. He'll play the same role that DeMarcus Ware played for years. He's one of the easiest fits on our defense.

Hayes, on the other hand, isn't a perfect fit. Wade likes to play his 3-4 LDE as more of a 4-Tech. That role works best with a big, strong dude who can get off blocks. Brockers fits it pretty well. We might also go another direction. In the past, Wade used Antonio Smith in that role, but he had Smith align differently than Derek Wolfe because Smith was more of a penetrator (Smith tended to align more towards the RT).

Hayes isn't either of those things. Hayes is great at stacking blocks. He gives a ton of effort off the edge. I like him a lot as a traditional 4-3 DE, but he doesn't fit Wade's scheme. He's not a big, strong guy like Wolfe who can play inside like an extra DT, and he's not an explosive penetrator like Smith who can attack from the outside as more of a DE.

As for Barron, I don't think he's as bad of a fit as I originally believed after hearing Wade talk about his scheme, alignment, and player responsibilities. I think Barron could play ILB or SS in the scheme.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If this is true we should have packaged Hayes and TruJo together, as it is we got taken on the Hayes trade. jmo.

Disagree. If you were realistic with yourself about Hayes's value, the trade made total sense. Hayes would have likely been cut if not for his guaranteed salary in 2017. The trade was a cap dump. Hayes doesn't fit the new scheme.

It's why I tried to look at things from the other team's perspective in my mock.

Been hearing Rams are knee deep in discussions with Phins on trading TruJo. Deal close to being done. Rams to get 2nd rounder. Phins are offering 2nd in '18 and later rd pick.

Appreciate the info, Bubba!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Dolphins made out real well in that trade. Hayes is still a very good DE that is going to help their defense, and they got him for nothin just about, so yeah we got robbed. I mean we could say that it's what happens when you move to a new defense and be accurate, but the Dolphins got a lot of value and we didn't so it was about as one way as it gets.

I'm like you though and good with it. There's a lot of stuff we don't know about that goes on behind the scenes, lot of player interaction type stuff and Hayes being a leader from the Fish regime probably worked against him. I wished him well and still do, but it's all good, we have better days ahead under Phillips.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Disagree. If you were realistic with yourself about Hayes's value, the trade made total sense. Hayes would have likely been cut if not for his guaranteed salary in 2017. The trade was a cap dump. Hayes doesn't fit the new scheme.

Yes, i'm happy we got something over nothing, but had we leveraged Hayes/Tru a few days earlier, perhaps we could have done a little better. I gave Hayes a mid to late 5'th round value, it looks like Miami pinned our tails to the wall with an offer that left us little choice but to capitulate. Now, possibly, they have an opportunity to short us on TruJo's worth. I'm just hoping we don't cave, even if takes longer than some are hoping for. I don't give any discounts to Miami for Tru, not when it looks like they may be playing us. As you know, i've been moving both Hayes & Tru in my mocks also, although I had them packaged to Cleveland. As predicted, Hayes & TJ are not a good fit for remaining with us, but i'd prefer to get every penny's worth of value out of them that we can. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, i'm happy we got something over nothing, but had we leveraged Hayes/Tru a few days earlier, perhaps we could have done a little better.

These teams are generally pretty smart and patient. I'm sure the Rams tried getting a deal for both done sooner. The Dolphins knew they could wait us out on Hayes. We had a deadline; they didn't.

I gave Hayes a mid to late 5'th round value, it looks like Miami pinned our tails to the wall with an offer that left us little choice but to capitulate.

You didn't give him realistic value. In the mock trade I did with Hayes, I had us either acquiring a player who didn't have a role on his team due to a change in staff (such as Nate Orchard) or the Rams swapping their 7th for another team's 6th.

I recognized that we tend to overvalue what we have, so I asked myself what I would accept but be slightly underwhelmed by. I recognized that is likely his realistic market value.

Now, possibly, they have an opportunity to short us on TruJo's worth. I'm just hoping we don't cave, even if takes longer than some are hoping for. I don't give any discounts to Miami for Tru, not when it looks like they may be playing us. As you know, i've been moving both Hayes & Tru in my mocks also, although I had them packaged to Cleveland. As predicted, Hayes & TJ are not a good fit for remaining with us, but i'd prefer to get every penny's worth of value out of them that we can. jmo.

We don't have a deadline with Tru. We can wait the Dolphins out. We have leverage there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It would be nice to clear up that cap space to make a few more moves though!

True, I think most of us are hoping for sooner than later, but should we have to wait, about the worst to happen is we'll have the money to extend Donald for another 5 years, or we still have a decent veteran CB starting for us, even if he isn't the best fit we could hope for. jmo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We need the highest pick we can get to secure either Engram or a WR that would be a starter / potentially our #1.

That is what wIll am suggesting. I don't think anyone will give a first for Trumaine. I don't expect the Browns to give their first number two, which is the first pick of day two straight up. That is too much. But if we swap them our #37 for their #33 and get a third, fourth, fifth, too it would be worth it. The first pick on day two usually gives them more trade options. It so would improve their shot at getting Ingram or a guy like Godwin.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That is what wIll am suggesting. I don't think anyone will give a first for Trumaine. I don't expect the Browns to give their first number two, which is the first pick of day two straight up. That is too much. But if we swap them our #37 for their #33 and get a third, fourth, fifth, too it would be worth it. The first pick on day two usually gives them more trade options. It so would improve their shot at getting Ingram or a guy like Godwin.

I don't think that is enough. I might be convinced to take their second 2'nd round pick, # 52 overall, along with the rights to Josh Gordon, maybe kick back a 5'th to them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'd be good with that deal.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see why Cleveland is a fit. Why give up valuable draft pick(s) for a player on a 1 year deal? Its not like the Browns are a player away from something special. Just because they have cap room doesn't mean they'll just spend it.
Unless I'm missing something, teams cant negotiate a long term deal with Tru until they were able to acquire him, not before.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see why Cleveland is a fit. Why give up valuable draft pick(s) for a player on a 1 year deal? Its not like the Browns are a player away from something special. Just because they have cap room doesn't mean they'll just spend it.
Unless I'm missing something, teams cant negotiate a long term deal with Tru until they were able to acquire him, not before.

I believe the Rams can give them permission to negotiate with Tru.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

I believe teams agents are allowed to be involved in (contract extension numbers for a sign and trade deal) The team wanting him would tell Tru's agent their numbers and the Rams would essentially sign him to the extension and trade him to the new team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe teams agents are allowed to be involved in (contract extension numbers for a sign and trade deal) The team wanting him would tell Tru's agent their numbers and the Rams would essentially sign him to the extension and trade him to the new team.

The Rams would not sign him to an extension. He'd sign an extension after being acquired by the other team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just seems counterintuitive to the current process of giving compensation for players lost if a sign and trade was an easy solution. Has this happened before? I know they do this stuff all the time in the NBA but in the NFL?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The Rams would not sign him to an extension. He'd sign an extension after being acquired by the other team.

Gotcha...So if a team that wanted Tru but they would only agree on a trade if Tru's agent agreed on an extension, this would absolve the Rams from any extra negotiations or contract manipulations.

Tru would essentially go to the new team under the Franchise Tag contract number and the new team handles everything with extension numbers prior to the trade etc... Good to know... I wasn't sure of all the exact details thanks...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just doesn't seem right. I suppose that as a non exclusive Franchise player Tru's agent could have talked numbers and got an idea of what's out there. But once he signed the tender? Just doesn't seem to make sense.