Rams' Tre Mason: I'll compete for starting job/NFL.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Tre Mason: I'll compete for starting job

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000354582/article/tre-mason-to-compete-for-starting-job

The St. Louis Rams invested a third-round pick on running back Tre Mason. Could the former Auburn star become an immediate fixture on offense?

Mason said Thursday that Rams coaches told him he will compete for the starting job in the team's backfield this season, according to Ryan Van Bibber of SBNation.com. This is probably news to Zac Stacy, who played like a rising star during his rookie season in St. Louis.

In all likelihood, Mason is parroting a variation of the competition mantra that's gotten John Idzik into some trouble in New York lately. Rams coach Jeff Fisher said in March he believed Stacy will become that "70-percent of the carries guy."

If Stacy is allowed that type of workload in 2014, Mason is more likely ticketed for a change-of-pace role to start his NFL career. Mason should get his opportunities, but Stacy should carry the show.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would expect nothing less. Everyone's job should be up for grabs.

A55VA6

Legend
I fully expect Stacy to start, but Mason could definitely push Stacy.

Stacy, Mason, and Cunningham are gonna be fun to watch this year!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This feels like a debate we just had...

Dudes a rookie.

Stacy was damn good last year.

I don't expect him to steal carries unless Stacy is hurt.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
UH-HEMM... Excuse me...

Easy, tiger. Auburn Tiger, that is. You'll get your shot. Stacy is a beast but gets nicked up. Love the spirit, though.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
the first thing that jumps out at me is the "source" of this story. It's a blogger from SBNation.com. and if you have ever read any of his material, he is one of those guys who likes to throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks. Just another case of shotty journalism, in that now nfl.com is picking up this and reprinting it as fact.

I have no doubt that Mason was brought in here to "compete" for a job, but not at Zac Stacy's expense.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ka'Deem Carey, Tre Mason expect major roles in 2014

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...em-carey-tre-mason-expect-major-roles-in-2014

HOLLYWOOD -- The Chicago Bears have found themselves a motivated understudy to Matt Forte.

Rookie running back Ka'Deem Carey told Around The League on Friday that he expects to see plenty of carries out of the gate in Marc Trestman's offense.

"They expect me to go out there and play as my first time behind Matt Forte, and go out there and do what I do best," Carey said at the NFLPA Rookie Premiere.

Carey projects as a good inside runner and quality receiver in space. It makes plenty of sense that he'd see time in a Chicago backfield with names like Michael Ford and Shaun Draughn behind the 28-year-old Forte.

Carey isn't the only rookie running back we caught up with Friday:

» Tre Mason confirmed to Around The League that Rams coaches, indeed, promised that he'd be given a chance to start for St. Louis as early as Week 1.

"Of course. That's what coach told me," Mason said. "You know, everybody's drafted to make a difference, and I haven't met one person who runs a race trying to lose. I'm there to compete for the starting job and I hold myself to high standards."

With his locker adjacent to second-year runner Zac Stacy's, Mason said the competition hasn't caused any tension:

"Us playing together, we're going to try to turn that program around," said Mason, who told us teams will regret skipping him in the draft. "I feel like I was overlooked and now it's time for me to prove why. I feel like I landed in the right spot."

» Chiefs running back De'Anthony Thomas has been seen as a Dexter McCluster replacement in Kansas City. Thomas told us he fits the profile of the veteran all-purpose man.

"Yes, yes, absolutely," Thomas said. "Whatever they want me to do, I'm going to go out there and perform and change the game."

The latest "Around The League Podcast" breaks down the news and examines developments from the first week of OTAs.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He'll be a sleeper on my fantasy team. I got it right with Lacy last year, hoping for similiar success. Stacy's injury history may give him a lot of touches.

I'd hope that every player we drafted or signed as UDFA will have that attitude, doesn't mean they'll be successful but if Van Dyke comes in with the attitude of "I'm competing with Jake Long" and works his ass off to be that good then all the better for the team.

…..

Legend
This feels like a debate we just had...

Dudes a rookie.

Stacy was damn good last year.

I don't expect him to steal carries unless Stacy is hurt.

Yeah but Stacey was a roookie last year.

Why wouldnt a 3rd round rookie expect to have a chance when the previous year a 5th round rookie ended up starting???

I dont want to diminish Zac's performance last year in anyway...but I'm a "best man wins" kinda guy. This is a new year.

In a perfect world, our offensive line will turn any of the 3 (Stacey, Mason, Cunningham) into an impact player in the NFL this year. I hope all three of them make it a fun year for us.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I see it as Stacy's job to lose, but he definitely shouldn't be resting on his laurels in training camp.

If Stacy has a "Sophomore Slump", he would be EXTREMELY far from the first person to do so.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stacy is going to get nicked up, no doubt about it. His running style exposes him to a lot of hard hits, and they have their effect. So what the Rams are going to do, IMO, is make sure that both Mason and Cunningham are as ready as possible this year. And between those two Mason will undoubtedly win out because of his burst which is very underrated.

Mason is a much, much better running back than most realize. It's gonna show right away, too, IMO. To me this is sort of a non-story because of course they are going to make the RB position competitive, they will need to in order to get through this season running as much as they are going to.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well I'm just glad the team has 2 good RBs, and pretty decent 3rd and 4th options to boot.

Big improvement from the Jerious Norwood/Cadillac Williams duo.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
the first thing that jumps out at me is the "source" of this story. It's a blogger from SBNation.com. and if you have ever read any of his material, he is one of those guys who likes to throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks. Just another case of shotty journalism, in that now nfl.com is picking up this and reprinting it as fact.

I have no doubt that Mason was brought in here to "compete" for a job, but not at Zac Stacy's expense.
offseason filler?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Shotty Journalism is the bread and butter of Rams debates

f3a67d9712b3dda1fbb92e7302bb2631-img1.jpg

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Well I'm just glad the team has 2 good RBs, and pretty decent 3rd and 4th options to boot.

Big improvement from the Jerious Norwood/Cadillac Williams duo.
Dear god... you can say that again!

SierraRam

Recreational User
Fish is old school. I thought Stacy was our best back in preseason last year, but he still didn't get a start untill game 5.

Besides having to pick up all the protections, Mason will have to totally seperate from the pack to earn a start. My guess is Stacy starts opening day.