Rams training camp starting lineup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't know if you answered the question right ? Jamon Brown Strenths are not quickness. I think he fits as a tackle.He is slow off the line , but plays with good balance.Once he gets his hands on a defender he is fine.

AD had a field day with him last year.

Rooming & playing next to Big Rob is a strength.

Cory I think gets cut for sure
I did the best I could at answering your question....no one else did:D. So please let me expand on this. If you can go back & watch JB's college film(Tubes) @ Louisville when he was playing OT. There's a difference, I don't know why but there is:thinking:. JB did not have any real issues major issue in quickness & getting into position playing OT:huh:. His opponents just found it difficult to find a way around JB in a short period of time. Somehow JB was always in their way as time ran out:sneaky:.

I will agree with you that JB had serious bad problems the last 2 seasons @ both RG & LG posts. Fact was JB was beat out by 6th round selection Cody Wichmann both in 2015 & 2016 seasons. Cody Wichmann is also known for being slow duck footed too. JB was real slow to react to his assignment playing the interior OG posts.

Oh yes in reference to Aaron Donald .... well he eats all pro OG's as early appetizers before moving on to the main course meal of RB's & QB's!:snicker: So I am not going to hold that hard against JB. If JB holds onto this RT post in TC & pre season he is sure not to see much of AD in his face but more from Easley & Westbrooks. That might be why he took up this new position with such vigor & intensity instead;).Its the left side of the OL problem now.

I say this about TE Cory Harkey .....its not that Cory is a real good LOS TE but when Cory is compared to the rest of the Rams TE's in blocking talent & skills there is no one close to him. There must be great improvement from the others. I am sure that's going to happen anytime soon because they stink @ it:sick:. Another thing going against Cory is his near 2 million $$ cost. That might well be the reason Cory gets released more than anything else.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

What is the first play of 2017 ?

Does Sam Rogers make the team ? Corey H
I did the best I could at answering your question....no one else did:D. So please let me expand on this. If you can go back & watch JB's college film(Tubes) @ Louisville when he was playing OT. There's a difference, I don't know why but there is:thinking:. JB did not have any real issues major issue in quickness & getting into position playing OT:huh:. His opponents just found it difficult to find a way around JB in a short period of time. Somehow JB was always in their way as time ran out:sneaky:.

I will agree with you that JB had serious bad problems the last 2 seasons @ both RG & LG posts. Fact was JB was beat out by 6th round selection Cody Wichmann both in 2015 & 2016 seasons. Cody Wichmann is also known for being slow duck footed too. JB was real slow to react to his assignment playing the interior OG posts.

Oh yes in reference to Aaron Donald .... well he eats all pro OG's as early appetizers before moving on to the main course meal of RB's & QB's!:snicker: So I am not going to hold that hard against JB. If JB holds onto this RT post in TC & pre season he is sure not to see much of AD in his face but more from Easley & Westbrooks. That might be why he took up this new position with such vigor & intensity instead;).Its the left side of the OL problem now.

I say this about TE Cory Harkey .....its not that Cory is a real good LOS TE but when Cory is compared to the rest of the Rams TE's in blocking talent & skills there is no one close to him. There must be great improvement from the others. I am sure that's going to happen anytime soon because they stink @ it:sick:. Another thing going against Cory is his near 2 million $$ cost. That might well be the reason Cory gets released more than anything else.

I think you are mistaken with Everett at TE ?? His blocking skills are there , plus having a TE that can actually run a route & catch a football puts more pressure on a LBer who can just stuff a whole with Harkey in front of them.
Sam Rogers can actually run the football as well lead block out of the gate & get to the second tier. I think Harkey is gone unless The Rams cut Hemingway ? I think he has to much talent for that. Harkey is a good LA guy that will serve good mentorship during training camp.

-- Jamon Brown - he is a tackle more than a guard imo .Moving him to the right side makes sense.
--Fisher had to save face. He drafted Greg Robinson #2 overall to be the LT of the future. Then Big Rob was drafted RT who was a 2nd rd pick .So were did that put Jamon Brown ???
-- Kromer was The one that put Jamon Brown at guard during practice, & Jamon Browns skill set came out. He was better suited than Greg Robinson right then & there during practice.
Kromer put Brown there as a coach.Brown was struggling at guard.His college tape shows that. It's all about your first step being big & balance.
--Bug Rob can move bodies. When Boone from the 9ers moved inside he was a pro bowler at 6'7.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Question is your "Don't Fit" thought coming from the FB position or the LOS position ?

Both. He wants guys who are versatile, who can be a threat to seal the edge or get a mismatch on some LBs. Rogers is just a great example of what he's looking for albeit from the backfield, that WCO fullback who can do a lot more than just lead block.

And I don't disagree that Hark is the only quality blocker on the LOS at this time from among the TE group. But we know what he is, so his chances to make this team are related to how much improvement the young group makes, as well as his contributions on special teams and whatnot.

If, for example, we see both Higbee and Hemingway showing blocking proficiency in camp, and maybe even Everett, Hark's gonna have a hard time and McVay might start thinking he can get by with the three young'uns and Rogers. This is why I see him as a bubble guy at this point.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
Nothing surprised me about the lineup. But I found it interesting that Higbee is currently slated as the starter at TE but that'll be a position that rotates frequently if not double TE a lot. And seeing Cooper under the key contributors was interesting since a lot of fans have seemingly written him off with the influx of talent the Rams brought in this offseason. Thomas suspension certainly helps though.

te is a tough position for a rookie. i was pretty sure that higbee would start over everett.
and you are right, the fact that thomas kinda destroyed his own career will be the reason we see cooper's name not thomas there.
but what happened to spruce?
it looks like he is a la-hype.
never thought he would be behind cooper. that's not a good sign for him to make the 53.
at least an uphill battle.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Rogers is a high IQ player. Mcvay really values players that play the game from an x's and o's standpoint, or as Mcvay says "above the neck".

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Both. He wants guys who are versatile, who can be a threat to seal the edge or get a mismatch on some LBs. Rogers is just a great example of what he's looking for albeit from the backfield, that WCO fullback who can do a lot more than just lead block.

And I don't disagree that Hark is the only quality blocker on the LOS at this time from among the TE group. But we know what he is, so his chances to make this team are related to how much improvement the young group makes, as well as his contributions on special teams and whatnot.

If, for example, we see both Higbee and Hemingway showing blocking proficiency in camp, and maybe even Everett, Hark's gonna have a hard time and McVay might start thinking he can get by with the three young'uns and Rogers. This is why I see him as a bubble guy at this point.

We agree 100% on the value that a FB like Sam Rogers can bring to this offense!(y)I see this FB draft selection in a huge way. Where we part is on agreement is on the other quality blocking TE's besides Cory Harkey...I know of none yet.

Does the drafting of the talented TE Everett & FB Rogers make one of the two last years drafted TE's closer to the bubble than a veteran proven blocker like Cory Harkey? Boy oh Boy is this years Ram TC going to be fun to follow:yay:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious but did Washington or Atlanta carry a blocking TE? I don't think either carried a FB. It could be viewed by this coaching tree that you can't use one or the other.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Harkey played more of a H- blocking back. When Sam Rogers was drafted he brings more versatility. He can even line up as a single back.

Ram65

Legend
I think he would would get grabbed off of our practice squad.

I think he makes the 53.
All of our tight ends are "move" tight ends.
We need the lead blocker type that Rogers is.

On 3rd and short we're going to need somebody.
He catches out of the backfield.
He's a down-field blocker.
He can block on those reverses for Tavon.
He can pass protect.

I think they drafted him for a reason and plan on using him this year.

I think McVay drafted him for a reason too. I want to see him on the field and hear reports from camp before he gets the starting job or makes the team. I imagine he makes the team but, it wouldn't shock me if he goes on the practice squad. Teams would have to keep on their roster to grab him. A very encouraging find was the #1 rated fullback in 2015 has similar measurable and was signed by Buffalo last year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2608296-br-nfl-1000-ranking-the-top-20-fullbacks-from-2015
1. Patrick DiMarco, Atlanta Falcons

1. Blocking
    30/30
    Patrick DiMarco enjoyed his best NFL season in year three and showed the tools to be named our No. 1 fullback. As a blocker, he excels at sealing linebackers or defensive ends to open rushing lanes, and even in pass protection he's balanced, poised and strong at the point of attack. You'd feel good if DiMarco was protecting your blind side or tasked with opening your rushing lane.

Power
    15/20
    At 6'1" and 234 pounds, DiMarco can pack a punch both as a blocker and with the ball in his hands. He's not timid either and generally looks for contact when he's trying to spring his running back for a big play.

Speed
    14/20
    You won't see DiMarco streaking past defenders in the open field, but he has enough functional speed to turn the corner as a lead blocker or reach linebackers on iso plays.

Hands
    18/20
    DiMarco saw a bigger role in the Falcons passing game in 2015, even if he only saw 16 targets on the year. As with all NFL 1000 grading, we looked at what DiMarco did when on the field, and in those 16 targets he caught 13 passes and didn't drop one ball. He's not a great route-runner but has been a reliable receiver when used.

Position Value
    5/5
    Overall
    82/95
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69641&draftyear=2011&genpos=fb
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/sam-rogers?id=2558196

Sam is a little smaller at 5'10" and weight was 231 compared to DiMarco at 6.6 and 237 at draft time. Same speed and bench but Sam has some higher explosive numbers. So the Buffalo connections is interesting too. Could be Kromer had a say in drafting Sam. I've been excited about Sam Roders making an impact this year. Earlier I state he may need to add some weight and strength. He could have already. I'm looking forward to camp reports on him.

PS Harkey was rated 19 in the same bleacher report article.

19. Cory Harkey, St. Louis Rams

• Blocking
      22/30
      Cory Harkey is listed as a tight end but did the majority of his work lined up in the fullback role. Despite his lack of overwhelming physical traits, he was largely effective leading the way for Rookie of the Year Todd Gurley.

Power
      13/20
      While he did a solid job of neutralizing defenders with proper angles and technique, Harkey rarely won by simply overpowering his target. Built more like a tight end at 6'4", 259 pounds, he had difficulty at times getting proper leverage due to his taller, leaner frame.

Speed
      10/20
      Though he was used in the receiving game to a small extent, he averaged just 5.2 yards per catch, showing his inability to beat defenders with any speed. He was at his best blocking between the tackles rather than trying to get out on the edge and beat quicker defenders to the punch.

Hands
      13/20
      Harkey has seen his receiving opportunities shrink over the past three seasons, watching his catch numbers dwindle from 13 in 2013 to eight in 2014 and down to just five on five targets this season. Clearly, the Rams prefer to rely on other targets in the short passing game, and Harkey's lack of sizzle as a receiver has given them all the reason.

Position Value
      5/5
      Overall
      63/95

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just curious but did Washington or Atlanta carry a blocking TE? I don't think either carried a FB. It could be viewed by this coaching tree that you can't use one or the other.

Best I can tell McVay's TE's was led by Pro Bowler Jordan Reed. Then as his second TE was ex Pro Bowler veteran Vernon Davis who played in 16 starting 14. Davis chipped in with 44 catches for 583 yds. The other TE was Derek Carrier seen by some more as a blocker than a catching tight end played in 8 games in 2016. In 2015 Derek Carrier started 12 games in McVay's offense. The arrival of Vernon Davis in 2016 moved him back as the third TE.

Trying to respond to your question on the FB....when you review McVay's past rosters it appears even the FB's or smaller H-backs were listed as TE on the roster no listing of a FullBack.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best I can tell McVay's TE's was led by Pro Bowler Jordan Reed. Then as his second TE was ex Pro Bowler veteran Vernon Davis who played in 16 starting 14. Davis chipped in with 44 catches for 583 yds. The other TE was Derek Carrier seen by some more as a blocker than a catching tight end played in 8 games in 2016. In 2015 Derek Carrier started 12 games in McVay's offense. The arrival of Vernon Davis in 2016 moved him back as the third TE.

Trying to respond to your question on the FB....when you review McVay's past rosters it appears even the FB's or smaller H-backs were listed as TE on the roster no listing of a FullBack.
So with him not having rostercontrol in the past it's very conceivable he could go with a true fullback. None of the Redskins TE were great blockers.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Why?
He was thisclose to being an UDFA
How many true fullbacks are even in the NFL??
The Rams picked him in the sixth because they didn't want to risk losing him in the 7th when most fullbacks are picked.

They draft players they plan on putting on the roster.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Rams need one good lead blocker Goff and McVay KNOW can block, and that"s Harkey. The rest are unproven.
Hockey had one good year.
I think it was 2014.
Since then I haven't been that impressed.

I see him as a Fisher bubble player.

This coaching staff is about production I sense.

Harkey is just too slow and one-dimensional for a McVay offense in my opinion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So with him not having rostercontrol in the past it's very conceivable he could go with a true fullback. None of the Redskins TE were great blockers.
Correct.(y) I got to see a ton of Jordan Reed down here @ UF & I always looked forward to watch him play. His smaller size sure did not hold him back & I hope the same will happen with Gerald Everett.

Jordan Reed is a much better blocker than he has been given credit for. Most of the MCVay TE's listed on his 2014 thru 2016 would be considered H-backs or FB's under my past definitions. His OL sure looked solid though. Sam Rogers sure looks to have a bag of tricks in his back pack just waiting for the ole TE coach McVay to let him pull out & play with.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams picked him in the sixth because they didn't want to risk losing him in the 7th when most fullbacks are picked.

They draft players they plan on putting on the roster.
Really? 6th rounders? Nah. Late rounds are flyer rounds. If the Rams want him on the PS after cutting him at the end of the year it would be shocking that a team would instantly add him to their 53.
Now if he kills it in pre-season? Well, then he wont have to worry about getting cut. But if he doesn't? A year on the PS would be a good spot for him

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Rogers would have to look really bad in training camp to NOT make the roster in my opinion.

That's not going to happen.

The guy looks like a true football player to me now.
They'll give him a chance to be what they want him to be.