Rams training camp starting lineup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again Gentlemen I will be shocked if this is the opening lineup on the first play from scrimmage I expect to see FB Sam Rogers or an extra TE and not three WR's and again JMHO.
No doubt. I expect big offensive changes but a 3 WR 1 back set would be a shock

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
We'll see a variety of formations and player packages. This is nice to read but don't put too much stock into it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I expect the OL to be better, but I also expect growing pains. Adding two vets will help a bunch, but they haven't played together before and continuity takes time. It may take half a season before they start playing together really well as a unit. New starting position for 2 of the five, new playbook, new OL coach, new HC, new guy making line calls. I expect foul ups and missed assignments for the first several pre season games. Hopeflully, four pre season games is enough to work he bugs out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would not think this tomas. I sure have a differing opinion than you on this subject ....TE's must be able to block....None of the three you mentioned are close to NFL grade level in this area. Tyler Higbee's attempts @ blocking were awful & plain pathetic. Rookie Everett might be a bit better but his size 6-3 245 pounds will limit his ability & he was not brought in here to block for Gurley anyway most all his skills fall on the side of being a pass catching threat. Hemingway is far more WR than TE. He has never shown he can block other than on the basketball court.

If Fisher was enamored with Cory why was he wrote out of the offense last season? He only started 1 game & that was due to injuries to both Lance & Tyler. Cory was never seen in the offense as Fisher & his OC went on in for 3 WR sets & preferred the 2 other TE's. CH played only in 12 games on ST's. Gurley's run yardage went down without Cory in there making the run blocks.

If Cory is Cut Bait as you insisted then the 2016 Carl Ekern Spirit of the Game Award winner for player that exemplifies sportsmanship, ethnic, and commitment to teammates is totally meaningless:palm:.
2017 Roster Preview: FB Sam Rogers Primed For Offensive Role
LA Rams 2017 sixth round draft pick, fullback Sam Rogers could make the 53, and have an impact at the same time.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...-roster-2017-preview-sam-rogers-virginia-tech

FB Sam Rogers is in a peculiar position.

He stands as the handpicked chess piece that new Head Coach Sean McVay loves to use in his offense. He likes players that can play all over, and Rogers – while far from a great athlete – displayed at Virginia Tech that he is every bit of an excellent player that can be used all over the field. It’s not often in this day and age that a team gets excited about a fullback, but it makes sense when you throw on the tape and watch what Rogers was able to do in the ACC from a variety of spots on the field. He’s also an exceptional blocker, in both the pass and run game.
Roster Battle

As far as the backfield goes, the real battle is at the backup tailback positions. However, the battle for the fullback position is open as well, though being the handpicked player – to compete for the job – by McVay certainly gives Rogers an inside track on the job. He will be battling veteran
Cory Harkey and second-year fullback Zach Laskey. McVay did go out of his way to give Laskey an unprompted shout out during OTAs, which might be a sign that he too could be the moveable piece that McVay loves to use.
Expectations

Due to the amount of blocking the position does and the lack of athleticism across the board to show off in shorts, this unit will not really get the opportunity to shine until the pads come on. Special teams is really going to separate these guys as well as laying some physical blocks when given the opportunity. Camp will be an interesting time for these guys.
Chance of Making The Final Roster (8/10)

With the skill set he showed in the ACC over the last four years as well as his well-documented special teams ability and of course being handpicked, Rogers has a very strong chance of making the final roster and being an underrated piece to what is expected to be an upgraded offense. Either he would likely have to really fall on his face and bomb out to lose the battle, or Zach Laskey will have to continue to surprise the coaching staff and make Rogers expandable which is still very likely.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I would not think this tomas. I sure have a differing opinion than you on this subject ....TE's must be able to block....None of the three you mentioned are close to NFL grade level in this area. Tyler Higbee's attempts @ blocking were awful & plain pathetic. Rookie Everett might be a bit better but his size 6-3 245 pounds will limit his ability & he was not brought in here to block for Gurley anyway most all his skills fall on the side of being a pass catching threat. Hemingway is far more WR than TE. He has never shown he can block other than on the basketball court.

If Fisher was enamored with Cory why was he wrote out of the offense last season? He only started 1 game & that was due to injuries to both Lance & Tyler. Cory was never seen in the offense as Fisher & his OC went on in for 3 WR sets & preferred the 2 other TE's. CH played only in 12 games on ST's. Gurley's run yardage went down without Cory in there making the run blocks.

If Cory is Cut Bait as you insisted then the 2016 Carl Ekern Spirit of the Game Award winner for player that exemplifies sportsmanship, ethnic, and commitment to teammates is totally meaningless:palm:.

We will see what happens.Will Sean McVay use Cory Harkey over Sam Rogers/Zach Laskey.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams D should see a rise in interceptions. Webster at CB, Roby-Coleman in the slot, and Mo and Joyner at S should give the rams backfield some much needed ball-hawking. Especially Joyner.

Rams backfield last year was even worse than the WR's at catching the ball. I don't know how many times I saw a clear int bounce of a db's chest or go right through their hands.

Those missed int's really cost the Rams some games last season. The front line D looks scary good. They are going to put a lot of pressure on QB;s and that mean more int's.
I love optimism and I, too, hope for the best.

On Everett, willingness is half the battle but we can't expect a rookie to be a plus blocker at tight end - the guys he will be asked to block are tough assignments. But let's hope he does ultimately become the complete package at the position.

On Brown, his own college coach projected him to be a guard at the pro level. The new staff has never been able to coach him in pads - so let's not pretend they know what they have. I hope he is successful out in space but it's a concern.

I'll give you that. It is not even preseason.
I love optimism and I, too, hope for the best.

On Everett, willingness is half the battle but we can't expect a rookie to be a plus blocker at tight end - the guys he will be asked to block are tough assignments. But let's hope he does ultimately become the complete package at the position.

On Brown, his own college coach projected him to be a guard at the pro level. The new staff has never been able to coach him in pads - so let's not pretend they know what they have. I hope he is successful out in space but it's a concern.

Freaking Higbee got blown up last year. He was hitting the pads hard during training camp last year. I think his problem was pad level.Everett will be a heck of a lot better than Lance Kendrick.,not as a blocker as much as a well rounded TE.Will have to wait & see, but that is my evaluation from him coming out of the draft.He has a nice frame.
What do you think Jamon Browns strength is ??

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Harkey is a fit because McVay's offense requires hands and flexibility from that fullback position; Rogers has a big advantage there. Harkey's a bubble guy whose chances of making the team are greater if Higbee ends up with a suspension. He might make the roster due to McVay's needing the depth to run 12 personnel, but his competition will be the bottom of the WR roster and special teams impact too.

Either way McVay is going to put the best 11 on the field and that will influence what personnel groupings we see. I doubt he'll try to force 12 personnel. That is going to be determined through this upcoming camp process. And if I had to guess, I'd say we're not going to have a TE group that pushes us into 12 personnel until maybe later in the season if Everette starts coming on; I don't expect him to start hot.

Ram65

Legend
Again Gentlemen I will be shocked if this is the opening lineup on the first play from scrimmage I expect to see FB Sam Rogers or an extra TE and not three WR's and again JMHO.

No doubt. I expect big offensive changes but a 3 WR 1 back set would be a shock

2017 Roster Preview: FB Sam Rogers Primed For Offensive Role
LA Rams 2017 sixth round draft pick, fullback Sam Rogers could make the 53, and have an impact at the same time.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...-roster-2017-preview-sam-rogers-virginia-tech

FB Sam Rogers is in a peculiar position.

He stands as the handpicked chess piece that new Head Coach Sean McVay loves to use in his offense. He likes players that can play all over, and Rogers – while far from a great athlete – displayed at Virginia Tech that he is every bit of an excellent player that can be used all over the field. It’s not often in this day and age that a team gets excited about a fullback, but it makes sense when you throw on the tape and watch what Rogers was able to do in the ACC from a variety of spots on the field. He’s also an exceptional blocker, in both the pass and run game.
Roster Battle

As far as the backfield goes, the real battle is at the backup tailback positions. However, the battle for the fullback position is open as well, though being the handpicked player – to compete for the job – by McVay certainly gives Rogers an inside track on the job. He will be battling veteran
Cory Harkey and second-year fullback Zach Laskey. McVay did go out of his way to give Laskey an unprompted shout out during OTAs, which might be a sign that he too could be the moveable piece that McVay loves to use.
Expectations

Due to the amount of blocking the position does and the lack of athleticism across the board to show off in shorts, this unit will not really get the opportunity to shine until the pads come on. Special teams is really going to separate these guys as well as laying some physical blocks when given the opportunity. Camp will be an interesting time for these guys.
Chance of Making The Final Roster (8/10)

With the skill set he showed in the ACC over the last four years as well as his well-documented special teams ability and of course being handpicked, Rogers has a very strong chance of making the final roster and being an underrated piece to what is expected to be an upgraded offense. Either he would likely have to really fall on his face and bomb out to lose the battle, or Zach Laskey will have to continue to surprise the coaching staff and make Rogers expandable which is still very likely.

FB Sam Rogers was an interesting pick. You watch his highlights and he does every well. His biggest drawback is his lack of speed and could use a little more strength. He gets the job done in blocking, catching and running. I've been wonder how much playing time Rogers will get in the offense. No starting lineup would surprise me with the McVay offense. He has a lot of chess pieces to play with and Rogers is a versatile one.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
No surprise to me that Brockers is the nose tackle. Easley and Donald are the 3-4 ends.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FB Sam Rogers was an interesting pick. You watch his highlights and he does every well. His biggest drawback is his lack of speed and could use a little more strength. He gets the job done in blocking, catching and running. I've been wonder how much playing time Rogers will get in the offense. No starting lineup would surprise me with the McVay offense. He has a lot of chess pieces to play with and Rogers is a versatile one.
Wouldn't surprise me if he goes on the PS

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think he would would get grabbed off of our practice squad.

I think he makes the 53.
All of our tight ends are "move" tight ends.
We need the lead blocker type that Rogers is.

On 3rd and short we're going to need somebody.
He catches out of the backfield.
He's a down-field blocker.
He can block on those reverses for Tavon.
He can pass protect.

I think they drafted him for a reason and plan on using him this year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams need one good lead blocker Goff and McVay KNOW can block, and that"s Harkey. The rest are unproven.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think Harkey is a fit because McVay's offense requires hands and flexibility from that fullback position; Rogers has a big advantage there..........
Question is your "Don't Fit" thought coming from the FB position or the LOS position ? I will agree with you if it coming from the FB position. Rookie Rogers was drafted for a specific purpose & its what McVay wants from his FB. Cory sure does not fit that desire. Where Cory will fit is when there is a need for a solid sure "outside the OT" on or near the LOS run blocker....this is where Cory will crush Higbee/Everett/Hemingway/Wilson.
......Freaking Higbee got blown up last year.
That's putting it nicely. I would have to be much uglier in my description.
We will see what happens.Will Sean McVay use Cory Harkey over Sam Rogers/Zach Laskey.
I do not see McVay using Cory @ FB in his offense.
What do you think Jamon Browns strength is ??
I would guess JB gave a ton of thought when he learned who his new OL coach was & how he would approach this big new change. Once again just guessing here & summarize this would be close to Jamon Browns strengths over GRob:

#1} Remembering & retaining the knowledge of how to play pass protection @ both OT positions from college
#2} Researching & learning about his new OL Coach & the new blocking schemes that would be introduce in early OTA's.
#3} Recalling from his college yrs that he excelled in blocking from outside zone blocking schemes as a OT.
#4} Knowing how to pay full & close attention to Kromer
#5} Knowing timing is vital & when to cease the moment in time when the chance appeared.
#6} Using his time in the off season to get bigger (over 330 pounds) stronger & quicker in order to meet the demands of the new OL coach.
#7} Realizing that one of his best talents & skills is he is much Quicker than expected out of outside OT stance and with initial steps than from the OG posts..

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nothing surprised me about the lineup. But I found it interesting that Higbee is currently slated as the starter at TE but that'll be a position that rotates frequently if not double TE a lot. And seeing Cooper under the key contributors was interesting since a lot of fans have seemingly written him off with the influx of talent the Rams brought in this offseason. Thomas suspension certainly helps though.

Good catch, wasn't even paying attention to that. My god, AD and Quinn are going to be such a terror of epic proportions it makes me down right giddy. I'm praying to the football gods that Quinn plays 16 games this season. It's going to be fun as hell to watch.

Connor Barwin & Easley will get after it as well. Mo & Joyner both blitz well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Question is your "Don't Fit" thought coming from the FB position or the LOS position ? I will agree with you if it coming from the FB position. Rookie Rogers was drafted for a specific purpose & its what McVay wants from his FB. Cory sure does not fit that desire. Where Cory will fit is when there is a need for a solid sure "outside the OT" on or near the LOS run blocker....this is where Cory will crush Higbee/Everett/Hemingway/Wilson.
That's putting it nicely. I would have to be much uglier in my description.
I do not see McVay using Cory @ FB in his offense.
I would guess JB gave a ton of thought when he learned who his new OL coach was & how he would approach this big new change. Once again just guessing here & summarize this would be close to Jamon Browns strengths over GRob:

#1} Remembering & retaining the knowledge of how to play pass protection @ both OT positions from college
#2} Researching & learning about his new OL Coach & the new blocking schemes that would be introduce in early OTA's.
#3} Recalling from his college yrs that he excelled in blocking from outside zone blocking schemes as a OT.
#4} Knowing how to pay full & close attention to Kromer
#5} Knowing timing is vital & when to cease the moment in time when the chance appeared.
#6} Using his time in the off season to get bigger (over 330 pounds) stronger & quicker in order to meet the demands of the new OL coach.
#7} Realizing that one of his best talents & skills is he is much Quicker than expected out of outside OT stance and with initial steps than from the OG posts..

I don't know if you answered the question right ? Jamon Brown Strenths are not quickness. I think he fits as a tackle.He is slow off the line , but plays with good balance.Once he gets his hands on a defender he is fine.

AD had a field day with him last year.

Rooming & playing next to Big Rob is a strength.

Cory I think gets cut for sure