Rams training camp battles: Lirim Hajrullahu appears positioned to be LA’s kicker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I'll be damned. I found this on google.

"On his way back to the locker-room, Hajrullahu paused to tell a radio reporter how to pronounce his last name. With a silent "j" — like Hy-roo-la-hoo, he explained, with nary a trace of impatience at having answered this 100 times before."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A good thing with Hajrullahu... he is “big league tested” coming from the CFL. That’s probably why he’s handling the competition well.

I am still quite high on Sloman. His technique is solid and that will buy some patience here. He might be a practice squad stash, if the Rams go Lirim and want insurance... not sure how often PS spots go to kickers?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 38425

The Los Angeles Rams held a scrimmage at SoFi Stadium on Saturday night and it was the perfect opportunity for Sean McVay to get a look at his three-way kicker competition with bright lights and 70,000 empty seats as the background. The kicker who had the best night adjusting to those conditions was CFL star Lirim Hajrullahu, the presumed favorite to win the job this offseason even though he has no NFL experience.

Hajrullahu went 5-of-5 on Saturday night, connecting from 38, 38, 43, 48 and 50. They were reportedly all “no doubt” kicks that cleared the crossbar with ease.

Here’s what I wrote about Hajrullahu back in April when the Rams signed him:

McVay would love to be able to replace longtime kicker Greg Zuerlein with a cheaper option who can improve upon Zuerlein’s disappointing 2019 campaign. Though Austin MacGinnis was also good, making 4-of-5 kicks, Hajrullahu may have pulled even further ahead in the race to do just that.

Rookie Sam Sloman may have been drafted this year but could be lagging behind based on Saturday’s event.

Lirim homer

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I would like more detailed information on how far his kicks went.

I would also like to know how the field conditions are. Goff said he could feel a breeze at times and the ball jumps in SoFi. It may not be much but, the Rams should be getting as much information on the wind directions and speed. Also if it changes with the temperature, sunshine and time of day. I imagine the temperature stays close to the same being 100 ft. below ground level. I'm curious.

Does anyone know if they use air conditioning around the field?

Well, he was kicking in the CANADIAN Football League... so, it goes without saying that he kicked in some Green Bay weather...but worse. I love that about him, actually and think that gives us an advantage... having a kicker who made his bones kicking a hard-as-granite ball in sub-zero weather.

Plus, his length and accuracy was what made me think he'd ultimately win. It ain't over, but he was my pick.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Greg always made me nervous - I like Hajrullahu power and accuracy. Sloman is dead in the water (Rams placed too much pressure on him by picking him in the 7th round.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It's been reported that they don't use tees in the CFL by member (s) here. That changed to conform with the NFL when the matched the distance between goalposts. As far as I know the hash marks are still farther away from the middle of the field making it a harder angle to kick from.

If they don't use tees thats even better. It sure seems like he's doing just fine right now.