2016-Rams trade up to #1 (old thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was a great move for the Rams. We gave up most of this draft and basically our 1st round pick next year - that's it. That doesn't hurt the franchise at all when you consider that our 1st round picks under Fisher have been great....assuming GRob continues to develop. After next year, Fisher will have had 6 drafts with the Rams. Those drafts, from a 1st round pick standpoint, will have yielded:

Brockers
Tavon
Tree
GRob
Donald
Gurley
QB

That's still 7 first round picks in what will be 6 drafts AFTER next year, when we don't have a 1st round pick. I think it's important to look at in that context because Brockers will be re-signed, Tavon and Tree will (hopefully) be re-signed or in their 5th year option, which is more expensive, and Donald contract talks will begin.

1st round picks are valuable, but there is immediate and future cap savings by making a trade like we did. One could argue that not having a 1st round pick actually benefits this team next year. From that perspective, the only thing we really gave up was our mid round picks THIS year. This trade was a game 7 championship winning shot at the buzzer good.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
This QB class isn't weak, though. It's a strong class. It's deep at the top and Goff is a legitimate #1 overall level QB. Wentz is a legitimate top 5-10 pick. We were very fortunate that this was the year a #1 overall team was willing to trade down to the mid-first.

Then I stand corrected. Speaking with other people I know that seemed to be the case. I hope you're right and I'm dead wrong.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then I stand corrected. Speaking with other people I know that seemed to be the case. I hope you're right and I'm dead wrong.

We shall find out. But I think this QB class got a bad rap back before people really knew about Lynch and Wentz. Hackenberg and Jones fell on their faces this year (although Hack did that last year as well) and Cook underwhelmed so people assumed it wasn't a good class. But Goff is a legitimate #1 overall prospect. He's not Luck good but he's on the same tier as Winston and better than Mariota imo. Wentz is on the same tier as Mariota but not quite as good imo. Lynch is on the Bortles/Tannehill tier imo. I like this class a lot.

KDS73

Rookie
Terrible trade. When has selling the farm like this ever worked?

Kroenke just wants to make a splash so he can generate some hype and start selling tickets.

Bump.

Like I said years ago, selling the farm to move up rarely, if ever, works out. Now both Wentz and Goff have been traded to new teams...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Bump.

Like I said years ago, selling the farm to move up rarely, if ever, works out. Now both Wentz and Goff have been traded to new teams...

Well don't dislocate your shoulder trying to pat yourself on the back..
;)

It didn't -not- work. We've been successful, Goff lead the top offense for a couple years, racked up a bunch of wins and won multiple playoff games for us and got us within a couple tough catches of a Lombardi.

Most GMs would look at our example as an indication that it can work.

It might not have paid off for 10 years, but it did for 5. That's longer than most coaching regimes last... so definitely not a draft horror story.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow...ressurecting a 5 year old thread to give I "told you so"? Pretty fuc*ing pathetic.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Reading that was fun, thanks for bumping it. I see those "they better be right" posts and have to laugh. Because even though Goff didn't work out what he gave us was 4 years of hope. And for me that hope is of crucial importance.

My team doesn't have to win but actively trying to win I can always get behind. :horns::cool::horns:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Bump.

Playoffs 3 of the last 4 years and a Super Bowl?
I think it worked.

Goff is also still a starting QB. Hes far from a bust.
He's only 26 and should continue to improve.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stop crying about the picks.

Do you want a franchise QB or not?
:beer2::cool:

Jalen Ramsey to the Rams!

200w.gif
X lookin into that crystal ball like...

1613688063625.png

Lolololol so many crying we gave up our future. When in fact the Rams for the first time have a future! Great day to be a Rams fan, take your Debbie downer and chew on that!
I miss this version of OS. Come back to us big fella! :beer2::biggrin:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reading that was fun, thanks for bumping it. I see those "they better be right" posts and have to laugh. Because even though Goff didn't work out what he gave us was 4 years of hope. And for me that hope is of crucial importance.

My team doesn't have to win but actively trying to win I can always get behind. :horns::cool::horns:
Who would say that?

N9LLSDe.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Btw how was this thread only 25 pages. Boy did we have some low expectations back then. :ROFLMAO:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was a great move for the Rams. We gave up most of this draft and basically our 1st round pick next year - that's it. That doesn't hurt the franchise at all when you consider that our 1st round picks under Fisher have been great....assuming GRob continues to develop. After next year, Fisher will have had 6 drafts with the Rams. Those drafts, from a 1st round pick standpoint, will have yielded:

Brockers
Tavon
Tree
GRob
Donald
Gurley
QB

That's still 7 first round picks in what will be 6 drafts AFTER next year, when we don't have a 1st round pick. I think it's important to look at in that context because Brockers will be re-signed, Tavon and Tree will (hopefully) be re-signed or in their 5th year option, which is more expensive, and Donald contract talks will begin.

1st round picks are valuable, but there is immediate and future cap savings by making a trade like we did. One could argue that not having a 1st round pick actually benefits this team next year. From that perspective, the only thing we really gave up was our mid round picks THIS year. This trade was a game 7 championship winning shot at the buzzer good.

Lol well I was weirdly optimistic about good old GRob for some reason. But overall my stance on trading first round picks hasn't changed - IMO it's almost always a good idea as long as you can get better players.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Lol damn. This thread is savage...Crazy looking back on the :poop: people said then, and what they say now...

jjab360

Legend
Seeing this thread on the front page was quite the shock until I saw the date lol