Rams trade 7th for Keenum

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams reacquire QB Case Keenum
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16933/rams-reacquire-qb-case-keenum

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- At his end-of-season news conference, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher made it clear he wanted to bring in quarterback options from outside the building. Of course, he also said he wanted to bring Sam Bradford back and we saw how that worked out.

Regardless, by the end of Tuesday's flurry of activities, Nick Foles wasn't the only new signal caller expected to walk through the doors of Rams Park. That's because, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the Rams swung a trade with the Houston Texans to reacquire quarterback Case Keenum. In exchange for Keenum, the Rams gave up a 2016 seventh-round draft choice.

The move undoubtedly struck many as odd considering the Rams had Keenum in the building as recently as early December and about three months later were shipping a draft pick, albeit a late-round one, to the Texans to get him back.

Keenum has taken an interesting road to get back to the Rams. The team initially claimed him off waivers from Houston in September after he spent his first two seasons there. From there, Keenum served as a backup to Shaun Hill and Austin Davis for the first couple months of the season without ever getting much of a chance to prove himself.

When the Rams traded for Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety Mark Barron on Oct. 28, they released Keenum to make room for him. They subsequently signed Keenum back to the practice squad, where he remained until the Texans re-signed him to their active roster after injuries to quarterbacks Ryan Fitzpatrick and Ryan Mallett.

After another injury, this time to rookie Tom Savage, Keenum started and won the last two games of the season for Houston. He entered this offseason as an exclusive-rights free agent, receiving a tender from the Texans just before they traded him to the Rams on Tuesday.

Considering the Rams traded a pick for Keenum and he has a full offseason to get acclimated in St. Louis, perhaps this time he'll get a legitimate shot to stick around.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like this. I thought Keenum deserved more of a shot, but obviously it's tough for a young QB to make an impact without offseason OTAs and preseason work.

I don't expect him to be a star, but I think he's likely to be the backup QB, and do reasonably well at that. For the cost of a future 7th round pick.

I think the coaches liked him - there just wasn't room for him unfortunately last season. Now he'll learn the system more fully, and be ready to compete. If I were Davis, I'd be trying to find another team this offseason.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It's moves like this that give me NO!!!!!!! confidence in Fisher. I mean how more stupid can you get? Keenum was on the team last year. They picked him up for nothing. When the season was lost they refused to start him to see what he could do. I was posting on this board that they should at least start him since the season was lost anyway. Then they now go and trade a 7th round pick for him.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
In addition to the blockbuster deal to acquire Nick Foles, the Rams made another trade on Wednesday. The franchise reacquired quarterback Case Keenum from the Texans for a seventh round pick in 2016.

Keenum returns to St. Louis after the Texans signed him off the Rams’ practice squad late in the season. He made two starts for Houston in 2014, winning both games over the Ravens and Jaguars. In those games, he completed 58.4 percent of his passes for 435 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions.

The trade is another notch on the belt for Keenum going from Houston to St. Louis. The Rams claimed him off waivers from the Texans last Sept. 1. He was then waived and signed to the practice squad in late October, where he remained until Dec. 15 when the Texans signed him to their active roster.