Rams Tough Decision (clowney, Watkins, Robinson Or Matthews)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, jrry. I love your posts but does that make any sense?

It does to me at least. ;)

When talking about DEs, you're not really worried about a 200 pound guy being compared to a 300 pound guy. Typically, you'll be comparing guys that are similar in size. The vast majority will fall in the 6'3" to 6'5" 255 to 275 range for 4-3 DEs.

laramsoriginal

Starter
It can also be argued that a guy with longer arms has more muscle tissue/fiber than a guy with shorter arms. I've been bodybuilding for years and I always laugh at the few guys saying their arm length affects their pec development. There is a video on YouTube showing a scientific method on why arm length does not affect benching....sorry I cant look it up for you guys, im at work :( lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but it doesn't really match-up with the results from NFL prospects nor what I have observed personally. But if you have a video, I'd be more than willing to watch it later on when I have time.

ausmurp

Starter
Heard on XM radio that Aldon Smith was full squatting 700lbs at the same time, Bob Lilly was notoriously bad in the weight room.
Again nothing against Clowney if we want some of what he offers AND improve another are of the D,Khalil Mack fills the bill

I like Mack as well but if we were to draft him, we better be planning on transitioning him to play MLB for us in the future, while backing up and playing OLB across from Ogletree as a rookie, because with how good Ogletree is, that is the only place he fits. Unless we would move Ogletree to MLB. JL is our biggest weakness in our base 2 LB set...

I'm not as high on Robinson as others. His family history is really bad - two brothers in and out of prison one still in for drugs, owes people $ because he borrowed to pay rent for his mom and younger sibs, etc. etc. I don't get why people are not making a big deal of all this, to me it screams future off field issues.

I take Matthews if I go OL because he is just as good as Robinson - maybe not as athletic but has no off field concearns and comes from a family of NFL players/superstars.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I like Mack as well but if we were to draft him, we better be planning on transitioning him to play MLB for us in the future, while backing up and playing OLB across from Ogletree as a rookie, because with how good Ogletree is, that is the only place he fits. Unless we would move Ogletree to MLB. JL is our biggest weakness in our base 2 LB set...

I'm not as high on Robinson as others. His family history is really bad - two brothers in and out of prison one still in for drugs, owes people $ because he borrowed to pay rent for his mom and younger sibs, etc. etc. I don't get why people are not making a big deal of all this, to me it screams future off field issues.

I take Matthews if I go OL because he is just as good as Robinson - maybe not as athletic but has no off field concearns and comes from a family of NFL players/superstars.

Seems like a kid that stayed out of trouble considering the tough situation he was born into. He deserves credit for staying clean not criticism for things that were out of his control.

Based on pure football, I am not high on Robinson because of how raw he is. His pass protection is my biggest concern. I think the rams can draft a very good OG in the late first so there is no need to take an OL in the top 10 since thwy won't start there in 2014

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
... owes people $ because he borrowed to pay rent for his mom and younger sibs, etc. etc. I don't get why people are not making a big deal of all this...
Maybe because none of it will matter once he signs his first (multi million dollar) NFL contract?

Besides, what is bad about trying to help out your family?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I don't see where it's that big of a deal.
Drafting any of the four will be a huge in Flux of talent. They all grade out about the same, and they all have the same chance of busting.
Put the names in a hat and pick one.

This the hard part.
Which ever one they choose sets the tone for rest of the draft. So the Rams have to do a value assessment on who they can get at 13,in the 2nd and 3rd to make sure they don't leave talent on the board by filling a need already. It's all about total talent take.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where have you been?

Sapp himself admitted to only having done 16 reps during the combine coverage on Saturday afternoon.*

* GMT

:whistle:

completely irrelevant. Didn't claim to be breaking the news, i said I just heard. However, point remains.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Is it really that tough of a decision? They should simply take the BPA on their board.

What if the BPA is a QB?

Team need and BPA should equally be taken into consideration. I don't think the rams need a DE or a WR with the 2nd overall pick. There is a reason why the rams have been shopping the 2nd pick...to acquire more picks and finally fill the holes at OL, S, CB, LB, DT.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What if the BPA is a QB?

Team need and BPA should equally be taken into consideration. I don't think the rams need a DE or a WR with the 2nd overall pick. There is a reason why the rams have been shopping the 2nd pick...to acquire more picks and finally fill the holes at OL, S, CB, LB, DT.

Won't happen. Need will affect their draft board. But, if so, then Bradford being dealt would be an option. But, there's no Andrew Luck in this draft class.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It might just be me but the Rams decision on who they will draft (or, trade) with their #2 pick sure seems to be getting more difficult. A couple of weeks ago my personal preference was pretty easy - I wanted Clowney! But, after the past couple of days of the Combine I have to admit that I am now torn between all four of these players (Clowney, Watkins, Robinson and Matthews) and I think a pretty good argument can be made for all four players. I actually think I have leaned more toward hoping for Watkins (with Robinson as a very close 2nd) being the Rams pick but I don't think I will be too upset if the Rams pick one of the other three players.

the rams were in the same position two years ago and we all wanted them to take one of the big 3 non qbs - trich, blackmon, claiborne. they traded down again and took brockers. even though they screwed up the extra picks from that trade down they got the player in the 1st right. i'd rather have brockers than any of the other three i thought the rams needed to take in the 1st. i think i'm gonna trust their judgement and i won't be disappointed in which direction they decide to go because i can see the merit in all the players available.

BadCompany

Rookie
I think we all agree that a trade-down is the most desirable thing. So given that "assumption" would it result in a total freak-out if we were to take TWO OL in the first round? Say Matthews/Robinson at #6 and IF he slips Lewan at 13? I know the whole Fisher-doesn't-draft-OL and better-value-later-on and Boudreau-can-coach-em lines, but nonetheless the OL concerns me. Long is iffy to start the year and has been an injury concern for some time now, Saffold may not come back and the rest are not exactly awe-inspiring. Snagging TWO potentially elite O-lineman could settle that position for the next decade, improve Bradford, improve the running game, etcetera, etcetera.

Would we have the luxury of doing such a thing, especially if this draft is deep and we think we can fill some of the other positions with better value choices in the 2nd?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Is it really that tough of a decision? They should simply take the BPA on their board.
So when you need a truck you buy a car?
And this BPA is subjective anyway,best at? Pass pro,Matthews,run blocking, Big R ( I do like the ring of that BTW) but if potential factors in then one has to ask WHY has the potential not been realized?
I don't think Robinsons background SHOULD go completely unnoticed either, we all saw how an elite athlete was shielded from scrutiny with OJ Simpson,Marshal Faulk, Mike Vick for a time, (Ron Mexico),Jamies Winston, so I think we have to consider Aaron Hernandez as well as where a kid like Robinson could end with millions of dollars suddenly at his disposal.
If I was picking a tackle, Matthews has the pedigree, has grown up comfortable with possessions ,IMO the transition to being a pro for him is eminently more predictable, make the pick and take the risks latter in the draft,whiffing on your highest picks is really how to lose.

BTW I wish Robinson well and hope he is the rose that grew in an onion patch,I just would rather let someone else take that chance at this high a pick because for ALL his "upside" this pick done wrong has equal "downside".

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Couldn't agree more Thordaddy. After reading about Robinsons background I have concerns that are added to his pass protection deficiency.

Clowney has raised obvious concerns, or nobody on the planet would be doubting his status as number 1 pick. After listening to him and viewing his maneurisms I believe he is a stoner, whic, for those that don't know the difference, is a chronic pot smoker and not an occasional one. I could be wrong but I have gotten good at knowing the difference after all of my years working with teens. It could explain the 'taking plays off' concerns.

I am down to Matthews and Watkins.