Rams top need...pass catcher according to nfl.com

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_of_Old

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331595/article/nfc-west-free-agency-needs-seahawks-49ers-still-can-improve
Top priority in free agency: Wide receiver.
This figures to be a very interesting offseason for the Rams, who hold two high-value first-round draft picks: No. 2 overall (courtesy of the Redskins, as part of the 2012 swap that allowed Washington to draft Robert Griffin III) and No. 13. Many openly wonder exactly where this team is headed with Sam Bradford under center, but it's difficult to judge the quarterback's potential given the limited group that surrounds him. The Rams' talent level, particularly at wideout, has been lacking. Sure, some of the guys on the roster have upside -- see: Tavon Austin -- but who is Bradford's go-to guy on third down? (If you know, please tweet us: @HarrisonNFL.) The Rams don't have a ton of cap room, so they won't be able to go out and get an Eric Decker. How about Hakeem Nicks or James Jones? Those two might end up being slightly out of reach, but both merit evaluation. Nicks' injury problems are bound to keep his price tag down. And when it comes to Jones, what's the league-wide perception: difference maker or product of unreal QB Aaron Rodgers? The marketplace won't lie.

I think they are right, but with the loss of Safford, we need a couple of OL standouts.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Isn't it BLATANTLY obvious out top need is OL? I mean I'd love to have the GSOT back as much as the next guy, that's the last time the media loved us, but this is a very blind statement.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Isn't it BLATANTLY obvious out top need is OL? I mean I'd love to have the GSOT back as much as the next guy, that's the last time the media loved us, but this is a very blind statement.
I'd say the logic is simply that the need on the OL is guard, and at least traditionally and typically, guard has been seen as a 2nd tier position as opposed to tackle.

And yes, there are exceptions to this... but often the thinking is that good and even great guards are obtainable later. #1 WRs are not.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

do these media people even know what has happened to the rams' roster of late?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Maybe it's a joke due to all the drops our WR's tend to have...

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Hyperbole on my part. Sorry.
It's all good. At this time of year, we're all pounding the table trying to get our genius recognized.

I may be a Watkins guy, but if we don't address guard sooner rather than later, then we've failed this offseason.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'd say the logic is simply that the need on the OL is guard, and at least traditionally and typically, guard has been seen as a 2nd tier position as opposed to tackle.

And yes, there are exceptions to this... but often the thinking is that good and even great guards are obtainable later. #1 WRs are not.

Our depth behind T just tanked, as well.

iced

Yes drafting both Watkins and Evans will solve the problems on the OL...wtf?

because the Oline can only be solved with a top 5 pick?

The o-line can be fixed just as easily with our other picks - we need guards, not tackles. guards aren't a premium position like Tackle

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
because the Oline can only be solved with a top 5 pick?

The o-line can be fixed just as easily with our other picks - we need guards, not tackles. guards aren't a premium position like Tackle

wrong. the rams need a premium LT. they don't just grow on trees. long has been an injury waiting to happen, there's no guarantee he can handle a few more seasons. why not grab one while you can, let him fill an important need position at left guard for a year or two, then when he's hitting his prime move him to LT for the rest of his career. the rams can't blow this opportunity.

unless of course they take clowney. then i'm all aboard the clowney train.

iced

wrong. the rams need a premium LT. they don't just grow on trees. long has been an injury waiting to happen, there's no guarantee he can handle a few more seasons. why not grab one while you can, let him fill an important need position at left guard for a year or two, then when he's hitting his prime move him to LT for the rest of his career. the rams can't blow this opportunity.

unless of course they take clowney. then i'm all aboard the clowney train.

The Rams have one, and have much more pressing needs.. Long played at a Top 5 Level and only missed one game. There are positions like Wide Receiver where we don't have even quality starters, let alone a Top 5 player.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
You can fill holes at guard later than Top 10 and you can DEFINITELY fill depth at tackle later than Top 10.

I've been saying that for a while. Now that our back is up against the wall, I don't like it.

OT and G with our first and third pick.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The Rams have one, and have much more pressing needs.. Long played at a Top 5 Level and only missed one game. There are positions like Wide Receiver where we don't have even quality starters, let alone a Top 5 player.
I'm not sure we even have a legitimate backup at OG right now...

Boffo97

Name
Dave
If Jones can play Guard, then we need one more starter at guard, and depth.

Both of those can happen outside the Top 10.

iced

Judging by how many guards they keep going through, I'm sure we'll have a couple by the draft.

Jones and Barnes also possibly could play guard

laramsoriginal

Starter

The rams cannot gamble drafting OL in the later rounds, the holes on the OL are too great. Watkins is a luxury pick a team like the rams cannot afford. OG, OG, C, S, SLB must be addressed with quality players and not with a later round pick