Rams' Todd Gurley focused on making mental adjustment/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Todd Gurley focused on making mental adjustment
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...dd-gurley-focused-on-making-mental-adjustment

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Standing on the sidelines as his rookie St. Louis Rams teammates went through the paces of their orientation over the weekend, running back Todd Gurley couldn't help but find himself popping into the occasional huddle.

As Gurley works on recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, he's going to be limited throughout the team's offseason conditioning program. So while fellow rookie backs Malcolm Brown and Terrence Franks took reps during the two on-field sessions Friday and Saturday, Gurley intently watched and did his best to pick up pieces of information about his new offense.

"I'm just gaining mental reps, basically just making sure I know what’s going on," Gurley said. "Just listening to the play calls and making sure in my head that I’ve got it down. Just go through the plays in the back by myself that’s always a good thing. Just walking through it while everybody else they have got this whole offense going, I’m in the back trying to make sure I’m on my stuff."

Having just arrived in St. Louis with his rookie teammates, Gurley is still new to the Rams' playbook and is quick to acknowledge that there's much to learn before he'll be ready to go. Of course, that's only half the battle for Gurley as he goes through what figures to be a strenuous rehab.

Gurley said he's been running for the past couple of months and can do some other drills like running the ladder but isn't yet cleared to do some of the change of direction drills and other things required of an NFL running back.

In the meantime, the Rams have a detailed plan of what they want from Gurley in the coming weeks and no intention of forcing him back on the field a single moment before he's ready.

“He’s in the meetings," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He’s learning the offense. He’s killing the rehab. He’s paying attention in the walk-thrus. He’s meeting his teammates. There were a lot of vets in here on Thursday when the guys got here. He’s excited to be here. He’ll definitely know what to do when he’s able to get out there.”

As for when that might happen, Gurley doesn't want to venture a guess at this point. He says his mission is to show up on time every day and just set about doing whatever is asked of him in a given day.

"I would want to be back as soon as possible," Gurley said. "But I’m not a doctor or a therapist so I can’t really tell you when I’ll be back. I’m just taking it day by day really."

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
During the Rams 2-day rookie orientation, Todd Gurley was relegated to the sidelines. But this fall the Rams are expecting big things from their first round pick. FOX 2’s Charlie Marlow has the story. Includes comments from Jeff Fisher and Todd Gurley.

Watch Gurley Story

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have now had time to ponder this Gurley Pick. It would have been hard for me to made this selection when you know that his first of your 4 yrs under contract is not available for use. That leaves just 3 yr to get your investment in return. Figure all of his 4 yrs will be GUARANTEED $$$ likely around 14 million total.

So just when you need that one pick to help your Ram team win now...the now is NOT now its later :palm:. Then the questions of will that famous run left then left foot plant that cutback right up the defenses that was sooo effective even remain in that left knee???UNKNOWN:notsure:! & for how long?

Yes I know there is a 5th yr option but that will cost big time in additiono_O. I have settled down after looking at all the bad that the Gurley pick brings early in this 2015 season & am getting use to the pain:X3:.

Well Mason & Cunningham have some serious competition beginning the 2016 season & Stacy wanted no part of that. For now its still their show. Cunningham enters free agency in 2016 anyhow. Watts is decent 3rd down back & then we now have a rookie RB in Brown from Texas who looks like a keeper too(y). Yes Gurley could get into some late season action & if for a miracle we get a wild card berth things recall could explode for Gurley...I can dream some can't I?

All in all with the way the first round went this yr Gurley sure looks like the best pick now for Snead & Fisher :love:especially now that they drafted those four massive road graders to plow up turf using defensive players as their instruments to do so:snicker:. Its also going to take some time for the new rookie OL'er foursome to grow some bigger Ram horns for the future upcoming head banging events:cool:.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IMO, Gurley was the best player in college last year...my only concern with the pick, we only had 2 starting caliber OL on the damn team...But I loved the pick...

I woulda been happy with Beasley or White too...and Winston...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams' Todd Gurley focused on making mental adjustment
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...dd-gurley-focused-on-making-mental-adjustment

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Standing on the sidelines as his rookie St. Louis Rams teammates went through the paces of their orientation over the weekend, running back Todd Gurley couldn't help but find himself popping into the occasional huddle.

As Gurley works on recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, he's going to be limited throughout the team's offseason conditioning program. So while fellow rookie backs Malcolm Brown and Terrence Franks took reps during the two on-field sessions Friday and Saturday, Gurley intently watched and did his best to pick up pieces of information about his new offense.

"I'm just gaining mental reps, basically just making sure I know what’s going on," Gurley said. "Just listening to the play calls and making sure in my head that I’ve got it down. Just go through the plays in the back by myself that’s always a good thing. Just walking through it while everybody else they have got this whole offense going, I’m in the back trying to make sure I’m on my stuff."

Having just arrived in St. Louis with his rookie teammates, Gurley is still new to the Rams' playbook and is quick to acknowledge that there's much to learn before he'll be ready to go. Of course, that's only half the battle for Gurley as he goes through what figures to be a strenuous rehab.

Gurley said he's been running for the past couple of months and can do some other drills like running the ladder but isn't yet cleared to do some of the change of direction drills and other things required of an NFL running back.

In the meantime, the Rams have a detailed plan of what they want from Gurley in the coming weeks and no intention of forcing him back on the field a single moment before he's ready.

“He’s in the meetings," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He’s learning the offense. He’s killing the rehab. He’s paying attention in the walk-thrus. He’s meeting his teammates. There were a lot of vets in here on Thursday when the guys got here. He’s excited to be here. He’ll definitely know what to do when he’s able to get out there.”

As for when that might happen, Gurley doesn't want to venture a guess at this point. He says his mission is to show up on time every day and just set about doing whatever is asked of him in a given day.

"I would want to be back as soon as possible," Gurley said. "But I’m not a doctor or a therapist so I can’t really tell you when I’ll be back. I’m just taking it day by day really."
This all sounds real good to me, can't wait to see him on the field.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I have now had time to ponder this Gurley Pick. It would have been hard for me to made this selection when you know that his first of your 4 yrs under contract is not available for use. That leaves just 3 yr to get your investment in return. Figure all of his 4 yrs will be GUARANTEED $$$ likely around 14 million total.

So just when you need that one pick to help your Ram team win now...the now is NOT now its later :palm:. Then the questions of will that famous run left then left foot plant that cutback right up the defenses that was sooo effective even remain in that left knee???UNKNOWN:notsure:! & for how long?

Yes I know there is a 5th yr option but that will cost big time in additiono_O. I have settled down after looking at all the bad that the Gurley pick brings early in this 2015 season & am getting use to the pain:X3:.

Well Mason & Cunningham have some serious competition beginning the 2016 season & Stacy wanted no part of that. For now its still their show. Cunningham enters free agency in 2016 anyhow. Watts is decent 3rd down back & then we now have a rookie RB in Brown from Texas who looks like a keeper too(y). Yes Gurley could get into some late season action & if for a miracle we get a wild card berth things recall could explode for Gurley...I can dream some can't I?

All in all with the way the first round went this yr Gurley sure looks like the best pick now for Snead & Fisher :love:especially now that they drafted those four massive road graders to plow up turf using defensive players as their instruments to do so:snicker:. Its also going to take some time for the new rookie OL'er foursome to grow some bigger Ram horns for the future upcoming head banging events:cool:.

However many ROD dollars I have says he's starting after the bye week.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner says St. Louis, which still has Tre Mason in the backfield, can afford to be patient while first-round pick Todd Gurley works his way back from a knee injury.

Watch Wagoner Talk Gurley