Rams to Tre Mason: It’s time to step back up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted on February 25, 2016 by Vincent Bonsignore
http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/

hooray.gif

It’s easy to assume Tre Mason’s troubles last year at running back with the Rams was due to the presence of Todd Gurley, who ended up as the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Year.

But that would be a bit too convenient of an excuse.

Coming off a rookie season in which he rushed for 765 yards in 2014, the former Auburn running back is much too talented to run for just 207 yards his second season while averaging a paltry 2.76 yards per carry. Yes, Gurley cut dramatically into Mason’s touches. And that was bound to have an impact on production.

But there is no excuse for the poor performance from Mason when he did get his chances. Or missing the Rams bus to the airport in late November and being deactivated for their game against the Seattle. Mason is too good to fall off that far.

As he heads into a critically important offseason, the onus is on him to get straightened out. And that starts with a strong effort over the next six months and into training camp.

“Tre has got to have a great offseason program,” Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “That, in itself, is going to be a challenge for us because it’s going to take place out in Southern California. We’re expecting, hoping, that everybody comes in.”

That includes Mason, who can help solidify his role on the roster with a committed offseason. With the Rams envisioning an explosive running game interchanging the talents of Gurley, wide receiver Tavon Austin, fellow running back Benny Cunningham and Mason, he can help lift the Rams from a lethargic offensive team to a versatile, productive one.

Even in limited playing time.

“We drafted Tre for a reason. When you look at that position, when you’re talking about Todd and Tre and then Benny,” said Fisher. “I think that’s as good a group as you’ll find in the league, from a depth standpoint. Then the difference in their abilities and what they do. I think Tre realizes he has to put the commitment in, wherever he is, and have a great preseason.”

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Rams to Tre Mason: It’s time to step back up

I think that's close to what his hair stylist said when it came to those blonde dreads.....

All kidding aside, I like Tre, he's the Isaiah Pead I never had :D

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Lost weight, looked slower and put the damn ball on the ground far too much. Maybe Skip Peete will help, but IMO, I like Malcolm Brown much better.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
He's a solid back but I just think he was struggling mentally this year. Gurley came in and took his job and there was nothing he could do about it. That's got to be tough. If he came to accept the change of pace, backup role I think he could do really well.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame

Pretty much this. I have never played sports at nearly as high a level as the NFL. But anyone who has played any sort of competitive sport know when you have a bad hamstring injury it can take *months* to get 100% of your speed, acceleration, and burst back without mental issue. Let alone muscular endurance. Nothing worst than the hammy suddenly giving out on your 10th sprint of the day. Hamstring injuries are a death kiss for RBs. Without those muscles at 100% you're pretty much toast. With Tre healthy I have no reason to expect he will not return to form - that is, assuming his mental game is in line.

He did flash a few times last season...