Rams to sign Tavon Austin to contract extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Austin is worth every penny of his large contract. He is one of those rare players that truly has worth far beyond what his numbers show. I hope he's a Ram for life and I'm glad we traded up for him.
I agree. And I don't get caught up in the money aspect of it anyway. Sure, you can make an argument that the money can be spread out and allocated differently, but that's not really something I tend to be concerned about. There hasn't been much to complain about around here with regard to how this Franchise handles the cap or how they court and sign free agents. They've been really good that way. When you think about it logically, the Rams are paying one guy to be a WR, a PR, a KR, and a backup RB.

And to score 20 TDs since he was drafted, with 5 more nullified by penalty.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Here is his contract structure. As usual, the Rams do a pretty good job of front loading.

I'd be interested to hear you expand upon your concerns with the deal?

IMG_0636_zpslrmndvem.jpeg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here is his contract structure. As usual, the Rams do a pretty good job of front loading.

I'd be interested to hear you expand upon your concerns with the deal?

IMG_0636_zpslrmndvem.jpeg
Guess we know why the Rams did not go on to spend big cap funds on resign CB Janoris Jenkins, FS Rod McLeod & DT Nick Fairley & released starters DE Chris Long, MLB JL, SSLB Akeem Ayers & OLG Garrett Reynolds this year. In part to sign up TA for long term.

If TA plays & contributes to the rest of the 3/4 of the season like he has the first quarter he will be close to 64 receptions for approx. 636 yds & 4 TDs with 24 rushing attempts for approx. 96 yds. Not the kind of stats usually associated with his kind of contract $$.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guess we know why the Rams did not go on to spend big cap funds on resign CB Janoris Jenkins, FS Rod McLeod & DT Nick Fairley & released starters DE Chris Long, MLB JL, SSLB Akeem Ayers & OLG Garrett Reynolds this year. In part to sign up TA for long term.

If TA plays & contributes to the rest of the 3/4 of the season like he has the first quarter he will be close to 64 receptions for approx. 636 yds & 4 TDs with 24 rushing attempts for approx. 96 yds. Not the kind of stats usually associated with his kind of contract $$.

They didn't pay him that amount of money with having case at Qb in mind. As the stills above showed, he is getting open. Let's see how he goes once Goff comes in.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
His TD catch today was a glimpse of how Austin can be deadly with an accurate QB that can hit his small catch radius.

All of his TDs last year - and he was near the top of the league in TDs - illustrate how he is as big a threat to score as anyone in the NFL on any given snap.

I still don't mind the contract. If the offense ever becomes competent, I think Austin explodes. But he's too small to make an offense tick all on his own, because his size does limit the plays you can run with him. Until the Rams develop a competent offensive scheme Tavon Austin will continue to fall short of his vast potential.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as I don't pay for his salary, that's all that matters to me.

Austin is an electric player, he can turn the game around quite quickly.

Also, why just target him? Our whole offense this year has been pretty crappy.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
His TD catch today was a glimpse of how Austin can be deadly with an accurate QB that can hit his small catch radius.

All of his TDs last year - and he was near the top of the league in TDs - illustrate how he is as big a threat to score as anyone in the NFL on any given snap.

I still don't mind the contract. If the offense ever becomes competent, I think Austin explodes. But he's too small to make an offense tick all on his own, because his size does limit the plays you can run with him. Until the Rams develop a competent offensive scheme Tavon Austin will continue to fall short of his vast potential.

"Competent offensive scheme"...

Dare to dream. lol!

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I have one question, why are we handing him the ball on running plays up the middle? That is so stupid and they keep doing it, over and over. I haven't seen today game yet but I'm sure they handed off to him with a designed run between the tables, at least once.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He makes a lot of cash, but let's see what he can do with a new QB and hopefully a new coach.

WvuIN02

Starter
32nd.....ie last in points/game
31st....ie next to last in yards
29th in passing yards
29th in rushing yards

1st round franchise LT just got benched for being basically the worst tackle in the game

Haters gonna hate.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Nice cheap shot.

Here's a challenge for you: Name all the QB's from the time Sam went down with an ACL to the time Goff finally too the reins that could make the TD throw to Austin that Goff made today. Heck, name ONE QB in that time that could make that same throw that Jared made today.

I guess with GRob being out today, Tavon is the next man up in the whipping boy/scapegoat position on the Rams team.

Also, why just target him? Our whole offense this year has been pretty crappy.

Because it's what we do around here. We pick out a player and make him a whipping boy for all that is wrong, while completely ignoring the moving parts going on around him. It's so much easier than actually looking at the whole situation.

Plus, with GRob being on the bench today, we can't blame him, so Austin has to step up and take the blame, his TD catch from a competent QB who can actually connect with him notwithstanidng.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I have one question, why are we handing him the ball on running plays up the middle? That is so stupid and they keep doing it, over and over. I haven't seen today game yet but I'm sure they handed off to him with a designed run between the tables, at least once.

Nope. One pitch for 10 yards to the outside never to hand it to him again. It's the Fisher way.

Oddly, he's actually pretty good up the middle, but it didn't happen today, of course.