Rams to reach out to Doug Marrone, Patriots coordinators, McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Per PFT. Any of those names excite you? Patricia is high on my list. Has coached both offense and defense and is a very bright guy. McVay is intruiging as well. If McDaniels or Marrone get hired it will be a huge let down.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Report: Rams want to talk to both Patriots coordinators

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 2, 2017, 7:21 AM EST

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

The Rams fired Jeff Fisher to give themselves a head start on the hiring process (and also preventing him from being the losingest head coach in NFL history).

So it figures they’ll have a long list of guys to talk to as they try to fix things.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, among their likely targets are Patriots coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia and Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay.

They’ve also been linked to Bills interim head coach Anthony Lynn, and their own interim coach John Fassel is interviewing today.

Of course, the specter of Asshole Face’s also looming over the whole process. Rapoport says there has been no contact yet with the Saints, that could be a matter of scheduling and semantics, with reports they’re prepared to ask permission to interview the Saints coach and that the Saints might listen this time.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Personally again I love Matt Patricia, now not crazy about the surname, but he is Italian and I've already gone down that road, but he's off the charts smart, in fact, he's a rocket scientist. That's right, he's a nuclear engineer and graduated from one of the finest Engineering Schools in the country, here in Upstate, NY RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) played offensive line and walked away from an Engineering job because of his love for football.

Now I'm sure they will focus more on McDaniels, however, Patricia could wow them, that is for sure.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
With new coach, Rams players hope to 'change the culture'

Alden Gonzalez

LOS ANGELES -- The word "culture" was referenced often in a dispirited Los Angeles Rams locker room late Sunday afternoon, in the aftermath of a 44-6 loss that punctuated their thoroughly disappointing season.

The Rams dropped seven straight games to end the season. They lost 10 of their last 11. And they finished with a losing record for a 10th straight season. They went 4-12 in their first season back in Los Angeles, the same record they had in their last season leaving Los Angeles. And now the search for a new head coach kicks into high gear.

"We just need to change the culture, man," Rams defensive end William Hayes said. "We have to create a winning culture around here. That’s what we’re lacking right now."

"This isn’t the culture that you want to live in," offensive lineman Rodger Saffold added. "I’ve been here several years and still haven’t had a winning season. I know I’ve worked hard to deserve better."

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
"This isn’t the culture that you want to live in," offensive lineman Rodger Saffold added. "I’ve been here several years and still haven’t had a winning season. I know I’ve worked hard to deserve better."

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]

Hey Saffold,
Take your "hard work" elsewhere, we as Ram fans deserve better

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alright here we go boys. I'm excited to end the speculation and get some actual names in here. Of the ones listed here, who do we like? I live near dc and mcvay is given a fair amount of praise. Patricia has worked with offense and defense? Sounds like the perfect coach for a balanced team. And he brings the Patriots' "do your job" atmosphere (I for one believe that the rams biggest issue is that our core is full of 4 and 5 year losers who have no idea how to win at this level). I'm iffy about McDaniels but his coordinating for business seems like an outlier right? He made great players out kyle Orton and Brandon lloyd, etc

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Per PFW and Mike Garafollo the Rams will interview Sean McVay.

file.php

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Patricia was an assistant offensive line coach before moving to defense. Brady always has forever to throw. Maybe Patricia learned some of their tricks (probably illegal) and can help build a quality line for the Rams. I've zeroed in on he, Toub, and Shaw. Would like to see what kind of staffs they would bring with.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
My preferences

First tier: Payton, Patricia, Shanahan (slight reservations bc of his player/personnel stories.. google it)

Second tier: McVay, Lynn

Third tier (No thank you! ): McDaniels, Marrone

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Per PFT. Any of those names excite you? Patricia is high on my list. Has coached both offense and defense and is a very bright guy. McVay is intruiging as well. If McDaniels or Marrone get hired it will be a huge let down.

No name *excites* me anymore. All these guys are essentially the same.

My only hope Stan hires a guy based on football, not by name.

Psycho_X

Legend
No name *excites* me anymore. All these guys are essentially the same.

My only hope Stan hires a guy based on football, not by name.

I'm in the same boat, after the last 15 years I really can't get excited over any of these guys. Now once they do hire someone I might start getting excited but right now I'm so sick of getting excited to only be let down that I have a hard time doing it anymore. I'm looking for results, we've been down the hot coordinator road before and it's always a disaster. I don't know who is the best to lead this team in the future but i need to see results before I get too hyped for someone.

Also, I'm getting sick of seeing Saffold flapping his lips. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem. And so far I'm starting to see him as part of the problem beyond his duct taped joints.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
Remember how excited we were when be hired the last "big name" coach, Fisher? Ha. I, too, thought he'd bring us a winning team despite his dismal record. Yes, I confess, I drank the Kool-Aid. We need to select a coach that knows how to win but, more importantly, can bring a winning culture to this team. I can't imagine there isn't severe discord in the locker room between the offensive and defensive players. I paid particular attention to the OL yesterday and they were HORRENDOUS! How many times to the Cardinals have to run the same blitz before the linemen recognize it? And these guys are supposed to be professionals, the best linemen on the planet. They looked like they've just been plucked out of junior high and had never been taught a thing. The offensive line was the most poorly coached unit of this team this year by far. Pathetic.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm a bit hesitant on a coach as young as McVay, but not against it. If we're going with a young HC, I'd prefer Shanahan whom has had success with numerous players and teams.

As far as the Cheats, I prefer Patricia.
I'm not convinced that McDaniels isn't the same guy he was in Denver. Learning from ones mistakes is one thing. Changing your personality is a bit tougher.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Patricia, I could accept. McVay, too, except he's a very young OC and the responsibilities of a HC can be quite daunting. McDaniels, I'm kind of neutral on him. If Fassel could motivate the entire team the way he does special teams, I could accept him, provided there were good, strong coordinators in place who know how to scheme and game plan according to the talent available. Shanahan, I'm not too sure of. Seems a bit egotistical and hard to work with (read about his departure from Cleveland). I'm old enough and foolish enough to hope management can look around the league and pluck another Chuck Knox or Mike Martz off of some other team's staff. And, I want some one with the guts to look at the O-Line and ask WTF?

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/02/rams-request-to-interview-lynn-shanahan/

The Rams have formally requested permission to interview both Bills offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn and Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan for their vacant head coaching position, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Monday.

PFT reported Sunday night that the Rams would have interest in both Lynn and Shanahan, and both have also received interest from other teams.

Lynn is considered a strong candidate to stay with the Bills as their head coach. He served as the interim coach for the season finale and said after that game that his No. 1 choice would be to stay with the Bills.

The Jaguars plan to interview Shanahan, who will have through this weekend to interview with interested teams because the Falcons earned a first-round bye as the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.

Schefter also reported that the Rams have sought permission to interview Patriots coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
The more I read about Patricia, the more I like. Marrone led Buffalo to their first winning season in 10 yrs when he was their head coach. I think McDaniels learned a lot from his time in Denver and returning back to the PATS. I don't know about McVay...really young and inexperienced.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
what I really want to know about ANY of these candidates is ... who are their thoughts for OC/DC and such. being a coordinator AND HC is very hard and what kills many HC careers

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
So here's my wishlist for the next offensive braintrust:

1) An O-Line, for fuck's sake. I've been a Rams fan since the 70's -- through most of that time, the Rams have had a decent to excellent O-Line. Over the past 5 years, this is quite possibly the WORST O-Line the Rams have had. How many times was Gurley instantly met in the backfield this year? Too many to count.

2) An effective screen game -- Boras didn't have one; neither did Cignetti or Schottenheimer, for that matter. An effective screen game would have mitigated, if not neutralized, all the blitzes that the Cards threw at the Rams' O yesterday. Of course, one of the main ingredients of an effective screen game is a good blocking scheme and the right horses (see #1)

3) The ability to make Tavon Austin better on downfield routes. There's a strange phenomenon begging a scientific explanation: every time Tavon runs a route 15 yards or deeper, his hands turn into stumps and he's unable to catch the ball. Is it his concentration? Is it his eyesight? This needs to be corrected!

Any HC candidate who can address those 3 issues will be the guy I want.