Rams to launch “wide-ranging” search on Friday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That was the perfect storm of crap though. New system, no offseason, rookie receivers, injuries, and then Bradford went down too. If any system would reap benefits after time, it would be his. I just don't know if he's head coach material. Maybe he is now, after some time off, but I just don't *feel* it. You know?

Lot of good head coaches tank their first time around. Mike Shanahan lost the Raiders right out the gate with things like freakin out when dudes sat on their helmets and banned it.

Think I read that all 7 head coaching jobs went to offensive coaches last year and all or nearly all the previous year. Only way to keep a top offensive mind is to hire him as head coach.

And doing that means you gotta grow him. Stan might get the rockstar type. But more likely he is gonna have to take a flyer on a great young offensive mind.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
It going to be McDaniels. Kroenke has a weird obession with all things Patriots, and if going to want to mimic that. I'm calling McDaniels right here, right now.

Myself, I'd prefer slapping Harbaugh with 10 mill a year to see if he'll budge. If not, Id go Shannahan.

Does anybody have any idea who they have contacted yet? It's Friday and trying to control my excitement for rumors.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It going to be McDaniels. Kroenke has a weird obession with all things Patriots
Well that explains why he hired the one coach who couldn't ever beat them.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
That was the perfect storm of crap though. New system, no offseason, rookie receivers, injuries, and then Bradford went down too. If any system would reap benefits after time, it would be his. I just don't know if he's head coach material. Maybe he is now, after some time off, but I just don't *feel* it. You know?
Name me a Cheatriots coordinator that has done jack squat .........
chris farley jack squat.jpg

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Name me a Cheatriots coordinator that has done jack squat .........
View attachment 18128
This is such superstitious BS though. What coordinator has left to a great opportunity? Crennel and Mangini did time in Cleveland (Romeo even managed a winning season) and with the Jets and Chiefs.
O'Brien had the Texans in the playoffs a couple years ago.
It's true that McDaniels did crash and burn his first time out on his own, but I like what I read in another write up about him the other day. He's filled up on humble pie and seems like he's got every intention of doing it differently if he gets the chance.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one who would prefer McDaniels over Shanahan?

Shanahan has a very talented roster, so I'm not surprised Atlanta has one of the top offenses. He also has zero HC experience.

McDaniels has done much more with much less, has proven he can adapt his offense to the roster, and has had the opportunity to learn from the mistakes from his first go around in Denver.

Plus McDaniels will have Snead. I like that combo, really. He may even keep Williams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Shanahan has a very talented roster, so I'm not surprised Atlanta has one of the top offenses. He also has zero HC experience.

McDaniels has done much more with much less, has proven he can adapt his offense to the roster, and has had the opportunity to learn from the mistakes from his first go around in Denver.

Plus McDaniels will have Snead. I like that combo, really. He may even keep Williams.

It is very tough to agree that he adapts his offense to the roster. Didn't he turnover Denver's roster to fit what he wanted. I give all the credit of what happens in New England to Belicheat. He calls the shots on personnel

Zodi

Hall of Fame
It is very tough to agree that he adapts his offense to the roster. Didn't he turnover Denver's roster to fit what he wanted. I give all the credit of what happens in New England to Belicheat. He calls the shots on personnel

He went 3-1 this season with Quarterbacks not named Tom Brady. The offense they put on the field with Brissett was completely different than the one they ran prior. Not to mention he's very good at attacking opponents weaknesses... just look what he did against us: quick passes and power running to neutralize our pass rush and take advantage of our undersized LB corps.

I'm not crazy about McDaniels, but when it comes to hiring the hot name in coordinators as first time head coaches, fool me once...

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

That was 8 years ago. Experiences cause change.

And how many games did the Patriots lose without Brady this year?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Again, it's Bill's team. Why do you think so many of his assistants fail? They can't think like Belichick.

Or maybe it's because they're hired for head coaching positions at a much higher rate due to New England's success, therefore they have a greater chance to fail in positions they might not be qualified for.

Again, it goes back to the hot-name-in-coordinator argument.

What's the difference between Linehan prior to becoming a head coach and Shanahan now? One could argue Linehan is a better OC than Shanahan, with an even more impressive resume. But we all know how that turned out.

I'd much rather have a coordinator like McDaniels who's had time to learn from his mistakes-- especially going back under a coach like Belichick-- than a new guy like Shanahan who's under an inexperienced head coach already.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Does Chuck Knox have a son?

Yes he does, and his name is Ground Chuck Jr. Last heard of as an assistant DB coach for the Vikings back in 2006. I believe he has a daughter also, ... seems a year or so ago she made the news trying to keep Chuck in the running for a HoF jacket, at least I think it was his daughter. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He went 3-1 this season with Quarterbacks not named Tom Brady. The offense they put on the field with Brissett was completely different than the one they ran prior. Not to mention he's very good at attacking opponents weaknesses... just look what he did against us: quick passes and power running to neutralize our pass rush and take advantage of our undersized LB corps.

I'm not crazy about McDaniels, but when it comes to hiring the hot name in coordinators as first time head coaches, fool me once...

Shanahan has the most talent, no doubt. But nobody was talkin about that talent before he went in there and got it all clicking. Now I did hear Kirwan allude to something about Ryan being pi$$ed about the scheme initially, where it had too much movement for the QB, and they had to put their heads together and iron out kinks but that to me pales beside the production. Shanny Jr has demonstrated an ability to get the most from his talent.

McDaniels had the most impressive season. As you said that record with Brady out was impressive and is going to get him top billing, probably right behind Shanny. And while I'm not crazy about him either, the dude is bona fide when it comes to offensive brains. Like it or not we learn from our mistakes and the dude deserves as much consideration as any.

If I'm an owner I want to start a dynasty and I'd build it with an elite "brainiac" type at the center. 9ers weren't $h!# until Walsh strolled in the door. Pats became the Pats we know now because they built it around a DC who had a long and prestigious record of shutting down the best offenses and doing more with less. Fish wasn't that type of DC before he was hired as a HC, he was mediocre at best, not elite. Let's hire an elite offensive mind, just do it, and then sit back and put the pieces around the guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Or maybe it's because they're hired for head coaching positions at a much higher rate due to New England's success, therefore they have a greater chance to fail in positions they might not be qualified for.

Again, it goes back to the hot-name-in-coordinator argument.

What's the difference between Linehan prior to becoming a head coach and Shanahan now? One could argue Linehan is a better OC than Shanahan, with an even more impressive resume. But we all know how that turned out.

I'd much rather have a coordinator like McDaniels who's had time to learn from his mistakes-- especially going back under a coach like Belichick-- than a new guy like Shanahan who's under an inexperienced head coach already.

You are welcome to your preference. I like Shanahan. Comparing Shanahan to Linehan is like comparing bananas to apples. Sure they are both fruit but completely different. Linehan was clearly not head coaching material when the Rams hired him. He did not have a commanding presence. He was not a leader of men. Shanahan on the other seems like more of a leader to me.

McDaniels still comes across as an over privileged brat. Maybe it is just that I don't like his personality, but maybe that means players wont either.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
McDaniels still comes across as an over privileged brat. Maybe it is just that I don't like his personality, but maybe that means players wont either.

Probably not. Just saying. Patriots players, for instance, seem to love him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I like Shanahan over McDaniels and I'm not much for Head Coaching experience Rams hired the most experienced Head Coach in Fisher and it did not work out that well. I prefer Shanahan because he has had success in multiple places Houston, Washington & Atlanta and Shanahan has been able to win without top players, but McDaniels has too, however, with Kyle Shanahan I believe his Dad Mike with be a Senior adviser or Assistant Head Coach ensuring Kyle doesn't have to sweat the small stuff.

As to McDaniels with Snead I disagree I believe that if McDaniels is the choice then he will come with Patriots Director of player personnel Nick Caserio as General Manager, if Kroenke truly embraces the Patriot Paradigm, by hiring Caserio & McDaniels he will be all in, but my feeling is that Kroenke knows Shanahan because of his time in Denver and IMO, if the your goal is to keep Snead, it's far more likely with Kyle Shanahan then McDaniels IMHO.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't mind McDaniels. His offense works with a 3rd string QB. We've had alot of those lately!

They got shut out with their 3rd QB too. It's worth noting that NE offense is 75% of the offense Charlie Weis installed 16 years ago. McDaniels really has added little to this offense and the fact remains he failed everywhere that did not have Tom Brady. I personally don't get the national love for this guy. He has never developed any QB