Rams to Interview Cards OC Harold Goodwin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I just got a bleacher report notification that the Rams, Jags and Bills will interview Cardinals OC Harold Goodwin for HC. Any thoughts?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...win-expected-to-get-head-coaching-interviews/

There’s no sign that Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians will be moving on once the regular season comes to a close, but one of his top assistants is expected to talk to teams looking for a head coach of their own.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin is expected to be on the interview list for the Rams, Bills and Jaguars once he’s eligible to start talking to other clubs. Goodwin was on the NFL’s Career Development Advisory Panel’s list of recommended candidates for a top job.

Goodwin, who has been in his current job since 2013, interviewed with the Buccaneers last year before they hired Dirk Koetter. He has not been the play caller on offense in Arizona as Arians handles those duties, but handled the job in three of the team’s preseason games this year.

Goodwin is African-American, so interviewing him would satisfy the requirements of the Rooney Rule for all three teams and put them in position to make a hire whenever they settle on their choice.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Might be a good sign that the Rams are going to move quick, did not think they would worry about the rule with maybe Vance Joseph & David Shaw being part of the process, but again, he who hesitates is lost!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Strong OL background is nice but it's hard to consider him a serious candidate when he's in the shadow of an offensive guy like Arians. Same situation as the one in New England with Patricia, where you wonder wtf you can read on the guy given the head coach who has that side of the ball down.

Next week is going to be interesting. Here's hoping the Rams don't muddy the water too much, because I guarantee Elway won't be running an internal search with all sorts of hands in the pot. He's going to go after the guy he thinks is the best candidate hard and get him most likely.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel the Rooney rule is just a good way to embarrass a coach that otherwise wouldn't get a shot. I think in this day and age we can agree that a coach will get a chance should he be the best applicant. Such as David Shaw. Rooney Rule pisses me off.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Its only for Rooney rule I don't think he's a serious candidate

Man. I support the principal behind the Rooney rule, I just don't know if it's necessary any longer. Maybe I am naive.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, lets get that out of the way. Everyone knows the Rooney rule is a shame and Goodwin is set up to be its next victim.

On Elway and the Bronco's. If Kubiak steps down, Kyle Shanahan will be on Elway's short list, near the top. Elway has a long history with the Shanahans.

Ram65

Legend
Interesting background as a former offensive lineman. Worked his way up the college ranks while helping some very good pro lineman. Does look like a Rooney Rule interview. Doesn't have head coaching experience which i don't like. He has been in the Pros since 2004 which is good.

Part of the article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Goodwin_(American_football)
College career[edit]
Goodwin played offensive line for the University of Michigan from 1992 to 1995.[1] He was teammates on the offensive line with Doug Skene, Joe Cocozzo, Steve Everitt, Trezelle Jenkins, and Jon Runyan.

Coaching career[edit]
Goodwin began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of Michigan from 1995 to 1997, where he worked with former teammates and future pros Steve Hutchinson, Jon Jansen, and Jeff Backus. In 1998, he moved to the Eastern Michigan to serve as assistant offensive line coach, specifically overseeing tight ends and offensive tackles. This role expanded in 1999 to include the entire offensive line. At Eastern Michigan, Goodwin helped develop L. J. Shelton. Goodwin moved to Central Michigan in 2000 to assume the position of offensive line coach, and later assistant head coach. Goodwin helped develop future NFL pros Eric Ghiaciuc and Adam Kieft in his time at Central Michigan.[2]

In 2004, Goodwin earned his professional coaching debut with the Chicago Bears as the team's assistant offensive line coach.[3] He joined the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2007, filling a role as quality control coach. This involves a responsibility to help coach the offensive line and assist the offensive coaching staff with game preparation, video analysis and scouting of opponents.[2][4]

Goodwin was hired by the Indianapolis Colts as the team's offensive line coach on January 31, 2012.

Goodwin was hired by the Arizona Cardinals as offensive coordinator on January 19, 2013.[5]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
On Elway and the Bronco's. If Kubiak steps down, Kyle Shanahan will be on Elway's short list, near the top. Elway has a long history with the Shanahans.

He will be the next Bronco Head Coach!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wasn't going to go that far Den, but I agree that's the first guy I thought of for the Broncos when I heard Kubiak was stepping down.

FRO

Legend
I hope they aren't just interviewing him to satisfy the Rooney rule. There are actual qualified African American coaches to give serious interviews to. Other than that I know nothing about the guy, but it seems like a move just to satisfy a stupid rule.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Makes no sense...:banghead::thinking:o_O:wtf::palm:

Yes it does teams need to comply with Rooney rule so they will interview a coordinator who is available the quickest and Goodwin meets those parameters. So it makes perfect since as IMO teams are going to want to move quickly because there could be more than six teams now looking for Head Coaches and maybe more:

1. Rams
  2. Jaguars
  3. Bills
  4. 49ers
  5. Chargers
  6. Broncos
And the Colts could be added to this mix as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Might be a good sign that the Rams are going to move quick, did not think they would worry about the rule with maybe Vance Joseph & David Shaw being part of the process, but again, he who hesitates is lost!
They don't even need to get on a plane.

-- I wonder about Josh McDaniels relationship with The Rams & NE ?? The Rams let him loose to help Josh & Pats out. They have a bye week & I think he can interview. Maybe it is a quick deal ?
-- My take is just going off Williams saying you might see me around. I wonder who Josh McDaniels would bring in as D/C

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
He will be the next Bronco Head Coach!

Appears why we need to act fast and lock up Peyton so he can hire his staff. As if reports are true he won't be bring few if any with him from the Saints

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/01/harold-goodwin-to-interview-with-jaguars-this-week/

Harold Goodwin to interview with Jaguars this week
Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2017

490522830-e1483315469876.jpg
Getty Images

Yes, Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin will be getting some attention in the offseason.

Per a league source with knowledge of the situation, Goodwin is expected to interview with the Jaguars this week for the vacancy created when coach Gus Bradley was fired last month.

Last week, the Jaguars interviewed former Jacksonville and Giants coach Tom Coughlin. Other candidates include Buccaneers defensive coordinator Mike Smith, Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Lineham, Bills offensive coordinator/interim head coach Anthony Lynn, and Jaguars interim head coach Doug Marrone.

It’s currently believed that there’s no favorite for the job, given that it’s so early in the process. One key factor undoubtedly will be the plan that each candidate has for the ongoing development of quarterback Blake Bortles.