Rams tight ends figure to involved in offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
ST. LOUIS — ST. LOUIS (AP) - Two tight ends could start the opener for the St. Louis Rams, which does not necessarily detract from the big-play potential on offense.

Jared Cook, the team's top free agent pickup, and Lance Kendricks both can stretch the field.

Cook signed a five-year, $35.1 million deal in the offseason. At 6-foot-5, Cook adds speed to the Rams along with the ability to go up for a pass. He is now reunited with Rams coach Jeff Fisher after playing his first two seasons under Fisher in Nashville.

The 6-foot-3 Kendricks was a second-round draft pick by the Rams in 2011. Kendricks opened training camp on the physically unable to perform list after having minor surgery on his right knee. He has returned to practice and will play in Sunday's opener at home against Arizona.

The two figure to be a big part in the offense this year and they are looking forward to it.

"This (offense) is going to be a lot more opened up," Cook said. "There will be more effort to involve everybody. It's an offense where you're going to see everybody's talents, which is the most exciting thing. There's a lot of speed."

Kendricks said he thinks this offense can produce.

"We need to come out of the gate swinging," said Kendricks, who has 70 catches and four touchdowns in his two seasons with St. Louis. "There's a lot of big expectations for this offense this year. We have the right people to do it. We have to be able to go out there on game day and do it. We can do it in practice all we want but where it counts is on the field in a game."

Quarterback Sam Bradford said he is happy to have Cook and Kendricks to throw to along with wide receivers Chris Givens, Austin Pettis and rookie Tavon Austin.

"It's great to have Lance back out there. He's a great player," Bradford said. "Everyone saw what he was able to do last year both in the passing game and his blocking ability in the run game. So, to have him back and now be able to put him and Jared on the field at the same time, that's going to be a really tough group for defenses to try to defend."

It's likely Cook will be used like he was at Tennessee and line up in the slot receiver position as well as on the line. With his size and speed, he is able to create mismatches. Kendricks also can move around as well as play on the line as a blocker.

Cook has 131 catches in four years. He averages 13.1 yards a game and has eight touchdown catches. His biggest year with the Titans came in 2009 when he had 49 receptions.

"It's a new city, a new town for me," Cook said. "It's my opportunity to showcase my skills and it's something that I've been fighting for the last four years. It's going to be a fun time. You've got to work your way up the system and I've got my opportunity here."

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who is in his second year with the Rams, is excited about the possibilities this offense has.

"We're thrilled that we have the guys we have. The young guys, the new guys have all picked it up really, really well," Schottenheimer said. "But again, this is just one step. It'll be nice to actually have a game plan in place and be able to show things that you want to do, things that we've been doing against our defense all summer."

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It's likely Cook will be used like he was at Tennessee and line up in the slot receiver position as well as on the line.

Cook came from South Carolina, not Tennessee. Shaking my damned head at the editor of this article...why is it so fucking hard to look up something that takes only a few minutes at the most?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memento said:
It's likely Cook will be used like he was at Tennessee and line up in the slot receiver position as well as on the line.

Cook came from South Carolina, not Tennessee. Shaking my damned head at the editor of this article...why is it so fucking hard to look up something that takes only a few minutes at the most?
Tennessee ....... Titans?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
Memento said:

Oh. Well, shit. That's totally my fault. My bad; I thought they meant the Tennessee Volunteers (SEC). I totally fucked up that one.

:oops:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memento said:
X said:
Memento said:

Oh. Well, shit. That's totally my fault. My bad; I thought they meant the Tennessee Volunteers (SEC). I totally fucked up that one.

Happens to the best of them.

Or so I hear... :lol:

jjab360

Legend
X said:
Memento said:

Cook came from South Carolina, not Tennessee. Shaking my damned head at the editor of this article...why is it so freaking hard to look up something that takes only a few minutes at the most?
:lol:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think Kendricks is underrated. He had a decent year last year and is still improving. Him and Cook are going to make a great TE tandem. Though Cook will get the bulk of the receptions.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Memento said:

Cook came from South Carolina, not Tennessee. Shaking my damned head at the editor of this article...why is it so freaking hard to look up something that takes only a few minutes at the most?

Memento said:
X said:
Memento said:

Oh. Well, shyte. That's totally my fault. My bad; I thought they meant the Tennessee Volunteers (SEC). I totally freaked up that one.

Lol ones own words biting him in the ass lol hate when that happens. :grin:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Memento said:
X said:
Memento said:

That's alright. I'm sure he fucked up enough things before that he was owed one. :sly:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Tron said:
I think Kendricks is underrated. He had a decent year last year and is still improving. Him and Cook are going to make a great TE tandem. Though Cook will get the bulk of the receptions.

Hopefully, Kendricks regains some of the speed it appeared to me he lost last year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Memphis Ram said:
Tron said:

Hopefully, Kendricks regains some of the speed it appeared to me he lost last year.
That,and being the TE2 should alleviate some of the pressure in terms of being relied upon as a go to guy. He was inconsistent as a pass catcher,but did other things well.

I'm hoping for a quiet breakout year from Kendricks as a solid,versatile,blue collar type TE who can't be ignored as a receiver by defenses.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
mojorizen7 said:
Memphis Ram said:
Tron said:

That,and being the TE2 should alleviate some of the pressure in terms of being relied upon as a go to guy. He was inconsistent as a pass catcher,but did other things well.

I'm hoping for a quiet breakout year from Kendricks as a solid,versatile,blue collar type TE who can't be ignored as a receiver by defenses.

Me too - along with being that great blocking TE who can catch the ball. I thought his hands were better last year and he blocks like a FB. He is going to play big for us this year. I don't think he'll be targeted as much as Cook but I think he may end up playing a more important role.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Gee, I don't think he blocks like a FB at all.

He's good for a trap or inline setting the edge, but not going straight ahead blowing up a LB in the hole.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Memphis Ram said:
Gee, I don't think he blocks like a FB at all.

He's good for a trap or inline setting the edge, but not going straight ahead blowing up a LB in the hole.

IIRR he did just that a couple times last year when lined up in the backfield. He also picked up a couple blitzes. My meaning though was that he blocks hard - not just chips and edges. Not saying blowing up the LB will ever be his main blocking assignment. Of course, when was the last time one of our FBs actually did that? :bummed: