Rams tight end Tyler Higbee going back to his WR ways

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...ams-te-tyler-higbee-going-back-to-his-wr-ways

Alden Gonzalez

IRVINE, Calif. -- Rookie tight end Tyler Higbee lined up on the outside for 11 of the Los Angeles Rams' snaps in Denver on Saturday. He was isolated on five of those. On two others, he was part of a trips formation. And on four others, he was stationed between two receivers spread out wide.

"I did that a little bit in college," Higbee said, "so it’s cool getting out there and being able to kind of create some mismatches, get a linebacker out of the box or something like that."

Higbee was a wide receiver through high school and during his freshman year at Western Kentucky, before outgrowing the position and transitioning to tight end. He averaged 14.6 yards per reception as a sophomore, junior and senior, compiling 13 touchdowns over a span of 22 games. When he slipped to the fourth round of the 2016 draft -- a product of being arrested for second-degree assault, public intoxication and evading police 18 days earlier -- the Rams took him with hopes that he would contribute immediately.

"We’re putting him in some situations that he wasn’t asked to do in college," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said, "and he's handling it very well."

Higbee caught five passes for 49 yards in the preseason opener, then missed Week 2. He was targeted a team-best six times in Week 3, which ended in a 17-9 loss to the Broncos. Lance Kendricks, who has racked up 1,633 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns over the past five years, remains the primary pass-catching tight end. But the Rams will no doubt utilize the 6-foot-4, 243-pound Higbee, a freakish athlete who can rack up yards after the catch.

Rams running back Todd Gurley previously nicknamed Higbee "Little Baby Gronk," a reference to the Patriots' superstar tight end, Rob Gronkowski.

Higbee, 23, has watched Gronkowski closely in his four years as a tight end. But he's gone back further, pulling up YouTube highlights of Hall of Fame tight end Shannon Sharpe, who basically re-defined the position.

"He dominated," Higbee said. "I’ve looked him up, watched some of his highlights, some of the things he used to do back in the day. He's a man."

Some additional notes from Monday's practice ...

• Jared Goff, who suffered a bruised tailbone on a vicious tackle from linebacker Vontarrius Dora, and Case Keenum, banged up on a late hit by Aqib Talib, both went through practice unrestricted. Fisher still hasn't mapped out playing time for his top two quarterbacks leading up to the final preseason game in Minnesota on Thursday.

• Offensive lineman Rob Havenstein, who has been rehabilitating a foot injury, practiced with the team for the first time in training camp, though he was admittedly rusty. Havenstein started 13 games at right tackle as a rookie last season. Fisher hasn't ruled him out for Thursday's preseason game, but it seems unlikely that he will play.

• The Rams will have Thursdays off in a typical week during the regular season. They used to be off on Tuesdays, like most teams, but have found that players get more out of Thursday off days, because they've had two full practices installing the game plan.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope they find a way to use him instead of two yard outs . He should be able to open up lanes underneath for TA and Cooper .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I hope they find a way to use him instead of two yard outs . He should be able to open up lanes underneath for TA and Cooper .
You gotta hope that because of the vanilla scheme, we didn't wanna show anything....

Higbee....when I saw him without pads, he's not yet NFL muscled...none of the rookies are...some are more built than others, but there is a noticeable difference. In his game when he caught 5 balls, several were of the sit down type, where the defender would close and deliver a hard blow to take this man down....He showed great hands. But, I learned something...yeah, even old guys learn stuff....these hits were actually beating Higbee down...and I figured, there is no way he's gonna last the whole season catching 5-6 passes a game. Just not physically possible...None of the rookies we drafted can take the pounding of a whole season. The way fisher teams play...we hit hard, and guess what, opponents come out to hit our offensive players as hard. Or even harder...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You gotta hope that because of the vanilla scheme, we didn't wanna show anything....

Higbee....when I saw him without pads, he's not yet NFL muscled...none of the rookies are...some are more built than others, but there is a noticeable difference. In his game when he caught 5 balls, several were of the sit down type, where the defender would close and deliver a hard blow to take this man down....He showed great hands. But, I learned something...yeah, even old guys learn stuff....these hits were actually beating Higbee down...and I figured, there is no way he's gonna last the whole season catching 5-6 passes a game. Just not physically possible...None of the rookies we drafted can take the pounding of a whole season. The way fisher teams play...we hit hard, and guess what, opponents come out to hit our offensive players as hard. Or even harder...

Tyler sure seemed a few steps slower in the 3rd game than he did the 1st. I agree with you here he looks more like Tall WR Calvin Johnson type than the NE Cheeters TE Gronk type to me. Both Tyler & Temarrick need to add some serious muscle to their frames if they want to get in some playing time with this offense.

I see much more value at this time in having Harkey/ Kendricks & Justice Cunningham on the field of play than either of those rookie TE's.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I see much more value at this time in having Harkey/ Kendricks & Justice Cunningham on the field of play than either of those rookie TE's.
yep....agree totally...Kendricks may really break out...like 80 balls-1000 yards....It's about time and couldn't happen to a nicer guy....Harkey & Cunningham too....I don't see us cutting Hemingway, so we could really keep 5 TEs & 5 wr's....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would almost bet that Fisher and Company WILL Scheme the up-coming pre-season game against the Vikings. Just to get the team broken-in so to speak, on scheming!!(y)

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

IIRC, in camp they were doing more intermediate routes with him. I hope this 3 yard crap is just a preseason thing. I expect Groh to open up the passing game compared to what we have watched the past 4 years, but with Keenum at QB there wont be many deep routes, have to wait for Goff for the deep routes to become a regular part of the O.