RAMS - this is your coach!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG

Andrew Whitworth Explains What Sets Sean McVay Apart From Less Successful NFL Coaches

From the X link:
View: https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status/1734967237314748440

The most impressive thing @AndrewWhitworth saw in the NFL? Sean McVay's first OTAs as a head coach where he only taught character. Great insight on McVay's success. "A lot of teams that suck right now it's because their head coaches are scared to challenge their players as men."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We are blessed as fans right now. Crazy how far we've come since Georgia "inherited" the team. Those days ensured I will never take winning for granted.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think we bag on McVay’s play calling too much around here sometimes. Even I get caught up in that.

But… In your lifetime… Have you ever experienced a play caller you ALWAYS agreed with?

I liked Martz, but he had his issues too.

I think McVay’s offensive game planning has been more diverse this year. I credit LaFleur for that. It feels stronger to me. By diverse I mean less predictable play calling. I feel I am guessing right, less often.

I want McVay here another 30yrs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But… In your lifetime… Have you ever experienced a play caller you ALWAYS agreed with?
Nope. Because the only time it's a good play call is if it succeeds. If it doesn't succeed it was stupid. That's really the only metric that matters. And no offense always succeeds.

That's not to say he doesn't make dumb play calls. He does. I hate it when he calls screens on third and forever for example. I hate it when he goes horizontal when the offensive line is knocking defensive fronts off the ball. But even in those cases if they're blocked and executed correctly they probably succeed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's not to say he doesn't make dumb play calls. He does. I hate it when he calls screens on third and forever for example. I hate it when he goes horizontal when the offensive line is knocking defensive fronts off the ball. But even in those cases if they're blocked and executed correctly they probably succeed.
I hear you.

Compared to last year, same or better, from your perspective?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One quality that I feel Sean shares with Martz is a touch of arrogance. When the media criticized Mand Mike about 20 pass plays in a row, he'd throw another 20 in a row. Why? Because FU/ It's not about what the defense does, it's about executing what I want to do, Max Q, said Martz
McVay ran 9 successful running plays in a row to the one yard line and then decided it was time to pass. If he fed Kyren up the gut we would almost certainly have gotten a TD instead of the FG in that first drive. We all have been screaming for him to run the ball more this season and it seemed that he would tire of running the ball if it got stuffed a couple of times in a row. "BOMBS AWAY, Matthew, cuz we're not running the ball anymore." (ok, I'm a mind reader and it wasn't a quote!)

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Here's the thing about coaching. No matter how you call a game. You're a genius if it works and a washed up has been if it don't. Taking coaching beyond the Xs and Os and treating them like men is what makes Mcvay stand apart.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
McVay ran 9 successful running plays in a row to the one yard line and then decided it was time to pass. If he fed Kyren up the gut we would almost certainly have gotten a TD instead of the FG in that first drive.

If you are talking about the Rams' 1st possession against Baltimore, I also wished they had continued to run-the-ball. However, I believe the nine runs brought the ball to the Ravens' nine-yard-line ... not the one.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you are talking about the Rams' 1st possession against Baltimore, I also wished they had continued to run-the-ball. However, I believe the nine runs brought the ball to the Ravens' nine-yard-line ... not the one.
Revisionist!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hear you.

Compared to last year, same or better, from your perspective?
Better OL. Stafford is focused.

Defensively young group who do their jobs.

I'm impressed by everyone tbh. Staff and players. No complaints outside of Rypien.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No complaints outside of Rypien.
Brett Rypien has moved on the the Seahawks and now to the Jets....
Not that he did much for us - but Rams must have jump-started his career... :eyeroll:

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
I think we bag on McVay’s play calling too much around here sometimes. Even I get caught up in that.

I liked Martz, but he had his issues too.

I think McVay’s offensive game planning has been more diverse this year. I credit LaFleur for that. It feels stronger to me. By diverse I mean less predictable play calling. I feel I am guessing right, less often.

I want McVay here another 30yrs.
Feels like McVay has a top 10 offense every year as long as his best players stay healthy.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I feel comfortable with Wentz as Stafford's backup, but I hope we don't have to see him this season.