Rams: the back shoulder throw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams don't use it much.

Other teams use it a lot.

Yo, Fish; work on this!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:

Yo, Fish; work on this!

I'm assuming this thread was started after the throw Rodgers made to Jennings.

Of course assuming has a way of making an ass out of u and me.

Anyway, my intial reaction to that play was the same. I wish the rams would utilize that more. However my thoughts quickly shifted. I don't think we have the WRs to do that. I would not trust any of our WRs to make that catch and more importantly prevent that from becoming an INT if the CB is tight in coverage and becomes aware of the throw. I don't even trust Danny. IDK if Bradford trusts any of the enough either.

That's the benefit havin a talented proven savvy vet WR adds to the O

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mark Clayton and Brandon Lloyd were pretty good at that.

I suspect some of our receivers will become more adept at it too. Sooner or later.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
CGI_Ram said:

Yo, Fish; work on this!

I'm assuming this thread was started after the throw Rodgers made to Jennings.

Of course assuming has a way of making an ass out of u and me.

Anyway, my intial reaction to that play was the same. I wish the rams would utilize that more. However my thoughts quickly shifted. I don't think we have the WRs to do that. I would not trust any of our WRs to make that catch and more importantly prevent that from becoming an INT if the CB is tight in coverage and becomes aware of the throw. I don't even trust Danny. IDK if Bradford trusts any of the enough either.

That's the benefit havin a talented proven savvy vet WR adds to the O

Yes, that was the throw... But I've seen it week after week with other teams. They do it. We don't.

You could be right we don't have the personnel, but I'd argue that's more the reason to use it; to create an open completion from a not-open route.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, we could sign Jennings????????????????

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Great topic CGI! :cheese:

The back shoulder throw is all about a QB and his WR(s) having chemistry/timing with each other. It also requires a great knowledge and memorization of the playbook from both the QB and his WR(s).

I don't think we haven't seen this because the coaches are forgetting about it, I think its because our WRs with the exception of Danny don't have a combination of: a rapport w/Sam, knowledge of playbook, and football IQ.

Look at guys like Pettis and Gibson for example. These were guys who CAN make spectacular catches but those grabs (in my opinion) are overshadowed by their BLUNDERS. These 2 guys can't even line up correctly presnap or consistently catch the ball, what makes you think they are capable of making back shoulder catches? :roll:

I think with an upgrade in talent + key returning wideouts (Danny & Givens), we could see the implementation of the back shoulder throw and many other complex facets in the passing game next year.

nittany ram

Rookie
X said:
Mark Clayton and Brandon Lloyd were pretty good at that.

I suspect some of our receivers will become more adept at it too. Sooner or later.

Yeah, the Rams receivers are still mastering the basics. The nuanced stuff comes later.