Rams Team Report (5/15/2012)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
5f3cf3c583ca46ff92719a7.png

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/stl/report

In the middle of last month when the Rams had a two-day veteran minicamp, Jeff Fisher talked about the simple things that coaches look for in first practices, like just getting in and out of the huddle correctly.

After the first workout, Fisher was asked if the team had mastered the huddle. He smiled and said, "They got it down, yeah. And by the way, 8 looks pretty good in there too."

Eight, of course, is quarterback Sam Bradford, who enters his third season in the NFL, and is learning his third offensive system. There were also rumors early in the offseason that the Rams might trade Bradford and select a quarterback with the second selection in the draft.

Fisher and general manager Les Snead insisted all along that Bradford would be the team's quarterback, but persistent talk can have an impact on players. For Bradford, though, he was assured privately of what was being said publicly.

Earlier this week, Bradford told NFL Network that "pretty much from the beginning, they told me that I was their guy and that I had no reason to worry about them taking a quarterback in this draft."

As the team prepares for the opening of OTAs next week, Bradford is eager to get on the field and start working on the new offense.

"It's been great," he said at the April minicamp. "Obviously this year is much better than last year. Obviously, to be here and be able to have an offseason program and to come out here in a minicamp and get to have walkthroughs, get to have 7-on-7, things that we didn't have last year -- that really helps. [hil]The more reps you get at it, the more comfortable we become.[/hil] I think it's definitely starting to pick up. There are some similarities between this offense and the offense we ran two years ago. Some of the language is the same, so it's kind of trying to go back to two years ago and trying to re-teach myself that."

Bradford also said, despite the difficulties last season, there were lessons within the gloom.

"I think obviously it was a rough year," he said. "It was a tough year, mentally and physically. But I think I learned a lot about myself, about what it takes to win in this league and just how hard it is. I'm going to try to use everything I learned last year in a way to help us win games this year."

As for what's ahead, Bradford added, "Obviously, last year was very disappointing as far as the injury, my performance. It just wasn't up to par with what I expected from myself. So there's no doubt that I'm extremely excited to get back out there this year and prove to myself and to everyone else that I can be the type of player I think I can be."

Fisher is also excited about what he has behind center.

Said Fisher after last month's minicamp, "It's his vision, release, accuracy -- it's all those things that we expected to see. He's picking things up very, very quickly. The accuracy, I think, if you have to pick one thing, it would be that. The ball's just in the right place every time."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rams officially announced the signing of 23 undrafted free agents May 9, then added another the next day with the addition of Coastal Carolina tight end Jamie Childers.

The free agents and the team's 10 draft choices are expected to be present at a two-day rookie minicamp Friday and Saturday.

The rookie free agents signed, in addition to Childers, were wide receiver Nick Johnson (Henderson State); tight ends Cory Harkey (UCLA) and DeAngelo Peterson (Louisiana State); tackle Joe Long (Wayne State); guard Michael Hay (Syracuse); center/guard T-Bob Hebert (Louisiana State); quarterback Austin Davis (Southern Mississippi); running backs Calvin Middleton (Jacksonville State) and Nicholas Schwieger (Dartmouth); fullback Todd Anderson (Michigan State); defensive ends Jamaar Jarrett (Arizona State) and Scott Smith (Texas Tech); defensive tackle Matt Conrath (Virginia); linebackers Sammy Brown (Houston), Derrick Choice (Stephen F. Austin), Alex Hoffman-Ellis (Washington State) and Noah Keller (Ohio); cornerbacks Jeremy Caldwell (Eastern Kentucky) and Quinton Pointer (Nevada-Las Vegas); safeties Matt Daniels (Duke) and Rodney McLeod (Virginia); punter Johnny Hekker and long snapper Travis Tripucka (Massachusetts).

Medical Watch:

No updates.

Franchise Player:

None.

Transition Player:

None.

Unrestricted Free Agents

TE Billy Bajema has been a solid blocker in the past, but his play fell off in 2011. The addition of Mike Mulligan means he probably won't be re-signed.

S James Butler was one of former coach Steve Spagnuolo's first signings in 2009, but he never played to the level expected. He can be a role player, but it will be somewhere else in 2012.

WR Mark Clayton wasn't able to come back in 2012 from a serious knee injury the season before and ended up on IR again after playing sparingly. His career might be over.

QB A.J. Feeley injured his thumb after taking over for an injured Sam Bradford last season and wasn't able to play again. It is unlikely that he will be re-signed after the Rams re-signed Kellen Clemens.

OL Adam Goldberg has filled in at four positions on the line in recent seasons and has contributed needed depth. With the addition of other backup linemen, Goldberg won't return.

CB Rod Hood was signed when injuries hit the cornerback position and was solid by the end of the season. There appears to be no interest in re-signing him.

CB Justin King played through injuries last season, but is nothing more than a nickel back. He was pressed into a starter's role because of injuries.

T Mark LeVoir is still looking for a team, and the Rams have shown little interest.

RB Jerious Norwood was never able to show the speed he has and didn't contribute much to the running game or special teams. It seems unlikely he will be re-signed.

LB Brady Poppinga started on the strong side, and improved as he became comfortable with the defense. However, the odds are long that he will be re-signed.

TE Stephen Spach is a blocking tight end that didn't play much during the 2012 season after being signed following his release by Arizona in the cutdown to 53 players.

WR Cadillac Williams had some productive moments, but not many. Although the Rams have little depth at the position, Williams isn't likely in their plans.

C Tony Wragge replaced Jason Brown during the season and was solid. The addition of Scott Wells and Robert Turner makes his return unlikely.

Unrestricted Free Agents
(not tendered offers)

DE C.J. Ah You (not tendered as RFA) was a favorite of the previous coaching staff, and he remains unsigned.

Restricted Free Agents:

None.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents

S Darian Stewart (tendered at $540,000) has come a long way since being signed as an undrafted free agent in 2010. Likes to mix it up, but has to improve on taking better angles in run support.

Players Re-signed

WR Danny Amendola: RFA tendered at $1.927M with second-round pick as compensation); $1.927M/1 yr.

QB Tom Brandstater: Not tendered as ERFA; $540,000/1 yr.

QB Kellen Clemens: UFA; $710,000/1 yr, $10,000 SB.

DT Jermelle Cudjo: ERFA; $465,000/1 yr.

WR Dominique Curry: ERFA; $465,000/1 yr (subsequently released).

G Bryan Mattison: ERFA; $465,000/1 yr.

FB Brit Miller: Not tendered as ERFA; $615,000/1 yr.

Players Acquired

LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar: UFA Saints; $3.05M/2 yrs, $1M SB.

CB Cortland Finnegan: UFA Titans; $50M/5 yrs, $5M SB/$24M guaranteed.

DE William Hayes: UFA Titans; $900,000/1 yr, $100,000 SB.

DT Kendall Langford: UFA Dolphins; $22M/4 yrs, $4M SB/$6M fully guaranteed/$5M '13 base guaranteed against injury.

DT Trevor Laws: UFA Eagles: $700,000/1 yr.

TE Matthew Mulligan: Not tendered as RFA by Jets; $1.6M/2 yrs, $200,000 SB.

T/G Quinn Ojinnaka: UFA Colts; $700,000/1 yr.

WR Steve Smith: UFA Eagles; $2.5M/1 yr, $625,000 base guarantee/$1.5M RB.

C/G Robert Turner: UFA Jets; $700,000/1 yr.

C Scott Wells: UFA Packers; $24M/4 yrs, $4M SB/$13M guaranteed.

Players Lost

DT Justin Bannan (released).

CB Ron Bartell (released).

OG Jacob Bell: UFA Bengals; 1 yr, terms unknown.

C Jason Brown (released).

PK Josh Brown (released).

LB Chris Chamberlain: UFA Saints; $4.05M/3 yrs, $1.2M SB.

WR Dominique Curry (released).

DT Gary Gibson: UFA Buccaneers; $2M/2 yrs, $400,000 guaranteed).

DE James Hall (released).

CB Al Harris (UFA; retired).

CB Brian Jackson (released).

CB Marquis Johnson (released).

P Donnie Jones: UFA Texans; $890,000/1 yr, $65,000 SB.

LB Bryan Kehl: UFA Redskins; terms unknown.

WR Brandon Lloyd: UFA Patriots; $12M/3 yrs, $3M SB.

WR Nick Miller (released).

CB Nate Ness (released).

LB David Nixon (released).

DT Fred Robbins (released).

OT Thomas Welch (released).