Rams TE without Kendricks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...expect-big-things-from-tight-end-tyler-higbee

Rams expect big things from Tyler Higbee

LOS ANGELES -- No offense received more yards from the tight end position last season than the one Sean McVay ran for the Washington Redskins, which prompted Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead to make the following pronouncement:

"Expect big things from Tyler."

"Tyler" is Tyler Higbee, the 6-foot-4 tight end selected in the fourth round of last year's draft. Snead made that comment at the end of a response to a question about Higbee's production from the NFL scouting combine on March 2. Seven days later, the Rams released their starting tight end, Lance Kendricks, leaving Higbee as McVay's primary target from that position.

Cory Harkey, who doubles as a fullback and is used primarily as a blocker, and Temarrick Hemingway, a sixth-round pick who hardly played as a rookie.

In the two years that McVay served as playcaller, the Redskins ran three-tight end sets on 184 offensive snaps, ranked seventh in the NFL during that time. (The Rams, by comparison, ran three-tight end sets on 51 snaps, ranked 25th). Washington's tight ends were fifth in targets (289), fifth in receiving yards (2,397) and tied for third in touchdowns (20) during that time. A bulk of that production was absorbed by Jordan Reed, who compiled 153 catches for 1,638 yards and 17 touchdowns from 2015-16. But the Redskins' tight end group took another step forward with the presence of veteran Vernon Davis, who added 44 catches for 583 yards in 2016.

McVay identified tight end as "a position that we’ll look very closely at moving forward.”

But he'll also rely in-house on Higbee, who, like Reed, profiles as a big, physical tight end who can also line up as a receiver and make an impact on the outside. The Rams used Higbee in that role frequently during the preseason last year, but Snead said a nagging knee injury suffered during training camp, among other ailments, set him back early in the regular season. Higbee was targeted only seven times through the first seven games, then received 22 targets over the next eight.

"Tyler started off real hot," Snead said. "In training camp, he was a big weapon for us. But then he ran into a few injuries that set him back. And when that occurs, your offense moves on. They're moving on to try and win games, and that's what happened to him. He got behind because of injuries and wasn't really able to recover from that until midway through the season, and then we started seeing him in the lineup and saying, 'That's really Higbee.' But with Sean, he uses tight ends; his offense has multiple tight ends -- a lot of times two, sometimes three. So, we expect big things from Tyler."

jap

Legend
If Sean wants to employ 3-TE sets, he needs at least four TE's, maybe even as much as five if guys get injured or even banged up. By 'TE,' I am referring to the whole in-line blocker/receiver, H-back/U-back/move TE, and FB gamut of TE's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
George Kittle is the guy we should pursue imo. Ran a 4.52 40 at 6'4" 247. Also posted vertical jump and broad jump numbers that were as good as any TE in the draft. I know what you're thinking, "George Kittle is just another raw athlete." Actually, he's arguably the best blocking TE in this draft. He's coming out of Iowa, and Kirk Ferentz is known for developing polished blockers on his OL and at TE. Here are a couple examples to show his all around game:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXdREmkmnA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nycjbiXzI

He's raw as a receiver, but he'll be able to contribute as a rookie as a blocker. He absolutely buries defenders in the run game and can pass block. Plus, with his athleticism, you still have to account for him in the passing game.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Jonnu Smith with the fourth round compensatory pick is my choice. He reminds me a lot of Aaron Hernandez (football-wise, not character-wise) and Jordan Reed, in that he's an undersized tight end who has a ton of athleticism.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
George Kittle is the guy we should pursue imo. Ran a 4.52 40 at 6'4" 247. Also posted vertical jump and broad jump numbers that were as good as any TE in the draft. I know what you're thinking, "George Kittle is just another raw athlete." Actually, he's arguably the best blocking TE in this draft. He's coming out of Iowa, and Kirk Ferentz is known for developing polished blockers on his OL and at TE. Here are a couple examples to show his all around game:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXdREmkmnA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nycjbiXzI

He's raw as a receiver, but he'll be able to contribute as a rookie as a blocker. He absolutely buries defenders in the run game and can pass block. Plus, with his athleticism, you still have to account for him in the passing game.

That kinda speed screams 4th round to me. Those Iowa cats are normally pretty strong in the run game as is. I wouldn't want to risk losing out on him in the 5th IMO. He could be a stud in 2 years with that kinda speed. Not many LBs are running with that down the seam.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That kinda speed screams 4th round to me. Those Iowa cats are normally pretty strong in the run game as is. I wouldn't want to risk losing out on him in the 5th IMO. He could be a stud in 2 years with that kinda speed. Not many LBs are running with that down the seam.

Yea, I'd take him in the 4th as well if it seemed necessary. I really like the kid. If the kid had no receiving potential, he could make a NFL team purely as a blocker. He's that good. But he's also a top 3 athlete in this stacked TE class. I'm shocked he doesn't get more hype.

jap

Legend

We definitely need an excellent blocking TE. Hell!, With Todd or Tavon on the field, everyone! needs to block as either can take the rock to the house from anywhere on the field.

Last edited: