Rams' TE position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Sounds like TE is a important part of the McVay offense. Would think the rams will draft a TE this upcoming draft, and its a good year to do just that, as the position seems very strong. If Kendricks is release for salary cap space, would think TE will be among the first 3 picks. If he is kept, a TE will be chosen later. Having 5 WR and 5 TE on the roster would be an unusual mix, but possible.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Higbee Primed for Larger Role in Offense

By Myles Simmons

INDIANAPOLIS — With tight ends up for their on-field workouts on Saturday afternoon, one player at that position for the Rams who came up this week was Tyler Higbee.

The Western Kentucky product played in all 16 games — starting seven — but was mainly used in a blocking role along the line. He finished the 2016 season with 11 receptions for 85 yards with a touchdown.

“It was interesting, Tyler started off real hot. In training camp he was a big weapon for us. But then he ran into a few injuries that set him back,” general manager Les Snead said. “And when that occurs, your offense moves on. They're moving on to try and win games and that's what happened to him. He got behind because of injuries and wasn't really able to recover from that until midway through the season and we started seeing him in the lineup and saying, ‘That's really Higbee.’”

But one of the staples of head coach Sean McVay’s offense is the use of tight ends. Having coached the position in Washington from 2011-2013 before becoming the club’s offensive coordinator, McVay helped develop Jordan Reed into one of the league’s premier pass catchers. Over the last two seasons, with McVay as Washington’s play caller, Reed averaged 76 receptions for 819 yards and eight touchdowns.

some great players like I was in Washington, you feel very fortunate,” McVay said. “But it’s about figuring out what those guys do best. We are going to be an offense that is going to involve the tight end in a variety of different ways. Whether a guy can run some of those option routes like Jordan was able to do, or he’s going to be a guy that stretches the seam.”

Still, both Snead and McVay seemed optimistic about the prospect of inserting Higbee into Los Angeles’ new offensive scheme.

“Getting around Tyler, I’m excited about it because I really enjoyed, liked him coming out,” McVay said. “Didn’t get a whole lot of opportunities last year to truly evaluate in-game experience but he’s a guy that does have a nice catch radius, he can stretch the seam, got a good feel and savvy in the pass game. So how we use him [is] yet to be determined, but he’s a guy we’re looking forward to getting on the grass with.”

“[McVay’s] offense has multiple tight ends, a lot of time two — sometimes three,” Snead said. “So we expect big things from Tyler.”

[www.therams.com]

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The TE class this year in the draft is excellent. There's quality at the top and throughout. There's size, athleticism, whatever you want. The question, though, is what do the Rams want?
" THIS^^!!" There is a lot of Big Time Talent in this years TE Class!! I wouldn't be surprised if 3 TE's go in the 1st round. And that would be Big News!!
Like you said 'What do the Rams do'!?!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The cool thing about Higbee is, he's now a 2nd year player. We could very well have a "new" and significant weapon for the McVay offense already on the roster.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Legget's been known to be lazy and had quite the rep over his first couple seasons to include lack of effort and had that nickname as a result. Not making things up here, it's things the teams are looking at on him. I personally don't want a guy who might quit once he gets paid, and I think the guy's gonna bust for that reason. If, however, the Rams vet him and think that's not an issue, then I'm sure they'll love him and target him in the draft, who knows.

I don't see your response as negative at all btw. Just talkin football right?

@Merlin, I will educate myself on Leggets' previous issues. I was judging him on a couple of games that thought were a good barometer of his play.

Yes, just talkin' football. I was afraid of coming off as a SOB. I was tryin' to stick to the facts :) I enjoy your posts.