Rams' TE position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been kicking around what I think the Rams might do this offseason at TE, so figured why not throw it out there and let you animals savage it. Plan here is to go through options in roster reduction, FA additions, and the draft, and then make the call on what I expect them to do. Here we go!

Roster numbers, first off, tend to be an average of 3 league wide, and of course varies depending on quality of relative positions. So for purposes of this discussion we'll assume that 4 will be the end strength of the TE room.

Roster returns / Roster cuts

Kendricks was a starter and had his best season, but the problem with this dude is he's a six year veteran and nothing special. His greatest value is his versatility and particularly in the run game, but he is not a guy you can count on in many ways to include holding onto the MFing ball. $3.75m is not an enormous amount of money, but when it's being paid to a guy who probably doesn't factor into the teams' long-term plans it's probably too much. Thus I expect him to be cut.

Harkey is a depth option who is solid as a blocker and completely non-dynamic in the passing game. But he's a solid teams guy and is only going to be making $1.3m, so I expect the Rams to keep him around and give him a look in camp.

Higbee is one of the most talented TEs we've had on the roster in years in terms of raw ability. I watched a lot of WKU due to Doughty and Tyler is an outstanding passing game weapon that had two risks coming out: health issues and an alcohol related incident. His rookie season didn't see him show he could remain healthy, but he did keep his nose clean. Obviously the team has high hopes for him, for good reason.

Hemingway was the incredibly raw athlete addition last year. This guy's a real unknown, and I think come camp he's gonna be fighting for his life to retain a roster spot, but the new regime might be able to make something of him. They'll keep him around obviously and give him a look.

Williams was a UDFA who stuck around a bit on the Pats' roster before we got him. Pre-draft I expected him to be drafted, and really liked him as a big bodied and good hands guy, which I felt we needed for the passing game. I still like him and think he might be a surprise with some good coaching. He'll get a look either way in camp.

Wilson I know nothing about as a TE. Not sure he's gonna be able to compete with these other guys, most of whom are going to be ahead of him mentally. Huge dude though, and will get a look I presume in camp.

So in summary with Kendricks being cut I think they will be sitting at 5 not counting the FA and draft.

Free Agency

The TE group is extremely underwhelming in FA. If I had to put one of those guys as the top option I would go with Trey Burton who is young and who has shown some things spelling Ertz. But personally I don't think the Rams can afford to bring in a guy like him when chances are he'll be outperformed by Higbee, who is in his second season now and is much more talented.

Now, there are some guys we could bring in to be insurance or depth options, like Vernon Davis who is long in the tooth but knows the offense McVay will install. But there's really not anyone who represents an improvement over what the Rams have and if I were stacking the roster I'd steer clear of anyone who isn't a bargain basement type contract addition.

My expectation in FA is that the Rams stand pat at TE.

Draft

The TE class this year in the draft is excellent. There's quality at the top and throughout. There's size, athleticism, whatever you want. The question, though, is what do the Rams want?

Answer: they want a TE who can master the option route.

Now, that's easier said than done. The TE position first off is one of the toughest to adjust to the NFL, as proven by rookie production numbers. That said if the TE is used primarily in the passing game as a weapon and not required to block frequently, then I do think the adjustment can be faster. And again that would be a guy they feel can be a quick study as an option route threat.

Many will expect McVay to be looking at the Jordan Reed types due to his Redskins connection. But guys who master the option route aren't only the athletic types. There are guys like Reed, but there are also guys like Witten who are much bigger. Really the key is that the guy can play smart, get up on top of the DB to see what the coverage is, and then react correctly. IMO this staff is going to choose a guy they feel can do that. Here's my guess on the options:

Howard - Nice fit, but is gonna go too high.
Njoko - Not a smart player and has too many drops, is not a fit for where they'd have to take him.
Engram - Versatile and an option for the Rams if he's there at their round 2 pick.
Shaheen - Big and powerful, lower competition, hard to say with this guy, tough one.
Hodges - Raw as blocker and route runner, but a freak, risky at our round 2 pick, solid round 3+.
Everette - Small hands, focus drops, not a fit for where they'd have to take him.
Butt - Underrated IMO, smart player who executes, definite fit for rounds 3+.
Leggett - "Lazy Leggett" says it all lol, some team will fall in love and he'll bust. Not a fit.

Way it looks to me the sweet spot for TE is going to be that round 3 pick, which will have competition from CB, DE, Center as need/value pick options.

Prediction

I think the final TE roster will look something like this:

1. Higbee. I suspect he's going to respond exceptionally well to this staff and emerge as a strong option route weapon who can also stretch it deep down seams.
2. Williams. I think he is the other guy who responds to this staff and earns a role as Higbee's backup.
3. Harkey. Need a blocker and physical option.
4. Butt. My guess is they address the position in round 3 and bring in a guy who can do a little of everything.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With three very young & virtualy unknown 2nd yr TE's on the roster ...signed ......ready to go (Higbee/Hemmingway/Williams) plus the two veterans LK & CH there should be no reason to go for a TE this draft IMO. I would sure think that our new HC & OC would think that it would be a very good ideal to see what they have in their backpack now before going out & shopping & using our priceless draft selection's on a TE. I could see the need to put the over 4 million pay check to Lance back in the bank to help pay for the real big needs elsewhere than TE.

Now on the other hand I am sure that our HC & OC would like to get a solid prototype fullback in our roster.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Been kicking around what I think the Rams might do this offseason at TE, so figured why not throw it out there and let you animals savage it. Plan here is to go through options in roster reduction, FA additions, and the draft, and then make the call on what I expect them to do. Here we go!

Roster numbers, first off, tend to be an average of 3 league wide, and of course varies depending on quality of relative positions. So for purposes of this discussion we'll assume that 4 will be the end strength of the TE room.

Roster returns / Roster cuts

Kendricks was a starter and had his best season, but the problem with this dude is he's a six year veteran and nothing special. His greatest value is his versatility and particularly in the run game, but he is not a guy you can count on in many ways to include holding onto the MFing ball. $3.75m is not an enormous amount of money, but when it's being paid to a guy who probably doesn't factor into the teams' long-term plans it's probably too much. Thus I expect him to be cut.

Harkey is a depth option who is solid as a blocker and completely non-dynamic in the passing game. But he's a solid teams guy and is only going to be making $1.3m, so I expect the Rams to keep him around and give him a look in camp.

Higbee is one of the most talented TEs we've had on the roster in years in terms of raw ability. I watched a lot of WKU due to Doughty and Tyler is an outstanding passing game weapon that had two risks coming out: health issues and an alcohol related incident. His rookie season didn't see him show he could remain healthy, but he did keep his nose clean. Obviously the team has high hopes for him, for good reason.

Hemingway was the incredibly raw athlete addition last year. This guy's a real unknown, and I think come camp he's gonna be fighting for his life to retain a roster spot, but the new regime might be able to make something of him. They'll keep him around obviously and give him a look.

Williams was a UDFA who stuck around a bit on the Pats' roster before we got him. Pre-draft I expected him to be drafted, and really liked him as a big bodied and good hands guy, which I felt we needed for the passing game. I still like him and think he might be a surprise with some good coaching. He'll get a look either way in camp.

Wilson I know nothing about as a TE. Not sure he's gonna be able to compete with these other guys, most of whom are going to be ahead of him mentally. Huge dude though, and will get a look I presume in camp.

So in summary with Kendricks being cut I think they will be sitting at 5 not counting the FA and draft.

Free Agency

The TE group is extremely underwhelming in FA. If I had to put one of those guys as the top option I would go with Trey Burton who is young and who has shown some things spelling Ertz. But personally I don't think the Rams can afford to bring in a guy like him when chances are he'll be outperformed by Higbee, who is in his second season now and is much more talented.

Now, there are some guys we could bring in to be insurance or depth options, like Vernon Davis who is long in the tooth but knows the offense McVay will install. But there's really not anyone who represents an improvement over what the Rams have and if I were stacking the roster I'd steer clear of anyone who isn't a bargain basement type contract addition.

My expectation in FA is that the Rams stand pat at TE.

Draft

The TE class this year in the draft is excellent. There's quality at the top and throughout. There's size, athleticism, whatever you want. The question, though, is what do the Rams want?

Now, that's easier said than done. The TE position first off is one of the toughest to adjust to the NFL, as proven by rookie production numbers. That said if the TE is used primarily in the passing game as a weapon and not required to block frequently, then I do think the adjustment can be faster. And again that would be a guy they feel can be a quick study as an option route threat.

Many will expect McVay to be looking at the Jordan Reed types due to his Redskins connection. But guys who master the option route aren't only the athletic types. There are guys like Reed, but there are also guys like Witten who are much bigger. Really the key is that the guy can play smart, get up on top of the DB to see what the coverage is, and then react correctly. IMO this staff is going to choose a guy they feel can do that. Here's my guess on the options:

Njoko - Not a smart player and has too many drops, is not a fit for where they'd have to take him.
Engram - Versatile and an option for the Rams if he's there at their round 2 pick.
Shaheen - Big and powerful, lower competition, hard to say with this guy, tough one.
Hodges - Raw as blocker and route runner, but a freak, risky at our round 2 pick, solid round 3+.
Everette - Small hands, focus drops, not a fit for where they'd have to take him.
Leggett - "Lazy Leggett" says it all lol, some team will fall in love and he'll bust. Not a fit.

Way it looks to me the sweet spot for TE is going to be that round 3 pick, which will have competition from CB, DE, Center as need/value pick options.

Prediction

I think the final TE roster will look something like this:

1. Higbee. I suspect he's going to respond exceptionally well to this staff and emerge as a strong option route weapon who can also stretch it deep down seams.
2. Williams. I think he is the other guy who responds to this staff and earns a role as Higbee's backup.
3. Harkey. Need a blocker and physical option.
4. Butt. My guess is they address the position in round 3 and bring in a guy who can do a little of everything.

It's curious why Harkey received so few snaps last season, I don't recall any mention of injury. While I liked him when he was effective, I believe it's time to upgrade. Free agent Kyle Juszczyk graded out as last seasons best FB, his rush blocking scored higher than Harkey, but his pass pro rated off the chart, he was the clear league leader, and it wasn't close. It's an inexpensive position, so drop Harkey and get Goff some true quality blocking help. Juszczyk also averaged about 40 receptions in each of his last two seasons. On that note, being we have so many depth areas to fix, so few high draft picks and so little money following the TruJo franchise CAP hit, i'm good with Higbee, Hemingway & Williams so long as Juszczyk is also along for the ride. If needed, I can wait until 2018 for a TE upgrade, but first I want to see what the young guys can bring. jmo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With three very young & virtualy unknown 2nd yr TE's on the roster ...signed ......ready to go (Higbee/Hemmingway/Williams) plus the two veterans LK & CH there should be no reason to go for a TE this draft IMO. I would sure think that our new HC & OC would think that it would be a very good ideal to see what they have in their backpack now before going out & shopping & using our priceless draft selection's on a TE. I could see the need to put the over 4 million pay check to Lance back in the bank to help pay for the real big needs elsewhere than TE.

Now on the other hand I am sure that our HC & OC would like to get a solid prototype fullback in our roster.

You want to keep Lance Kendrick ?? I've been on both sides of the fence. Just going by feel & thoughts.
I'm not a Kendricks fan. I changed my mind of keeping him because McVay likes 2 to 3 TE sets . I heard that from Les Sneads press conference . Then I heard McVay I he talked about liking Saffold,Barnes & especially big Rob. Snead talked about Big Rob & his injury as well as Higbee.
McVay said nothing about Lance Kendrick which makes me think he is done ?? I'm also thinking the TE from NE whose brother is DE for Hawks.Played TE for Bears as Kromer calling plays as OC. He had an excellent season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You want to keep Lance Kendrick ?? I've been on both sides of the fence. Just going by feel & thoughts.
I'm not a Kendricks fan. I changed my mind of keeping him because McVay likes 2 to 3 TE sets . I heard that from Les Sneads press conference . Then I heard McVay I he talked about liking Saffold,Barnes & especially big Rob. Snead talked about Big Rob & his injury as well as Higbee.
McVay said nothing about Lance Kendrick which makes me think he is done ?? I'm also thinking the TE from NE whose brother is DE for Hawks.Played TE for Bears as Kromer calling plays as OC. He had an excellent season.
I have not seen another Ram TE close to being what Lance is, as of yet. I want NO part of the former Patriot & Bear.Bennett let alone the cost of signing $$$$$$$ the seriously overrated TE.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have not seen another Ram TE close to being what Lance is, as of yet. I want NO part of the former Patriot & Bear.Bennett let alone the cost of signing $$$$$$$ the seriously overrated TE.

Cool -- will see the direction McVay goes. It will be interesting. Snead was part of extending Lance Kendrick.

-- -- I like how Snead said , I don't think we ever sat down withGreg Robinson & ask him about what he wants or thinks.
Sort of mind blowing , because the most impressive thing I saw in the Super Bowl this year.Bill Belacheat talking to less than players during the game & teaching them in the first half.
I think McVay wants to know his plays & communication is key. These coaches want to teach. It is going to be a big change come Sunday's.
This thing is just getting started , but I see good things heading forward.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yep I overlooked that $500k roster bonus. Re: TE numbers I think it will be 4 at the least, simply because McVay likes to use occasional 3 TE sets.

Their hands definitely look tied given their other needs, so going young and unproven and coaching them up has to look attractive to the Rams right now.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

I have some questions about some of the players you list... I apologize in advance if they come off as negative. I write this presuming you saw the TE's earlier today @ the Combine.

First, if Engram was available to the Rams at the #37 spot, I'm not sure there would be a player that could make more of a positive impact on the Rams than him.

Regarding Hodges, the only thing that stood out about him was lack of experience in a 3-point stance. In fact, it was mentioned he had never lined up in one @ VA-Tech and it showed in the drills. If the Rams draft a TE of his size, they have to be able to play inline and be proficient blockers. I do not see that with this player.

Legget ; Lazy?, a bust?, not a fit? This guy made big time catches in the biggest game, helped his team win a National Championship. You say that Higbee can go deep and stretch the seam. Well,. Legget did it against Alabama, arguably the best defense in the nation. But, you say he's a bust and not a fit? I don't get it.

IMO, the Rams have a great weapon in Gurley. The O-line and TE's have to black better for the Rams offense to become proficient. I personally like the TE's that already have experience blocking in the scheme they came from. Which brings me to Jeremy Sprinkle. He has prototypical size, great blocker, and a good pass catcher. He had a good performance at the combine today. He rad a 4.68 (40) and looked smooth running routes and catching the ball. He was not even mentioned above.

I agree with you on Jake Butt. He would be a good fit as an inline TE for the Rams.

I will finish by saying that if Engram was available, he would be limited as to what formations you could use him as a blocker due to him only weighing 234 pounds. However, I would draft him knowing I was 2 deep with Inline TE's already.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have some questions about some of the players you list... I apologize in advance if they come off as negative. I write this presuming you saw the TE's earlier today @ the Combine.

First, if Engram was available to the Rams at the #37 spot, I'm not sure there would be a player that could make more of a positive impact on the Rams than him.

Regarding Hodges, the only thing that stood out about him was lack of experience in a 3-point stance. In fact, it was mentioned he had never lined up in one @ VA-Tech and it showed in the drills. If the Rams draft a TE of his size, they have to be able to play inline and be proficient blockers. I do not see that with this player.

Legget ; Lazy?, a bust?, not a fit? This guy made big time catches in the biggest game, helped his team win a National Championship. You say that Higbee can go deep and stretch the seam. Well,. Legget did it against Alabama, arguably the best defense in the nation. But, you say he's a bust and not a fit? I don't get it.

I don't usually change too much on guys based on the combine unless they have poor 40 times or measurables that are significant. Yeah I watch some of most of the groups, but I would never claim to be a pro draftnik or evaluator, and I don't mind people having different opinions that's for sure.

Engram is listed as an option there in round 2 because that's as good a summary as I can make on him. If he makes it there, which is no certainty, then he will most likely be considered against CB, DE, and maybe S depending on how that first round goes. No way to say he'd be the best option, because we don't know who else will be there.

Hodges has real nice upside, but he is not anywhere near a polished route runner. He rounds things off, and depends on his athleticism to beat defenses, and that means he's going to be a little bit of a project. He also didn't block too often, but then again as I mentioned whoever they bring in isn't going to solve any of our issues as a rookie. I don't like him before round 3ish.

Legget's been known to be lazy and had quite the rep over his first couple seasons to include lack of effort and had that nickname as a result. Not making things up here, it's things the teams are looking at on him. I personally don't want a guy who might quit once he gets paid, and I think the guy's gonna bust for that reason. If, however, the Rams vet him and think that's not an issue, then I'm sure they'll love him and target him in the draft, who knows.

I don't see your response as negative at all btw. Just talkin football right?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

Has small hands, but he is a natural pass catcher unlike guys like Lance Kendricks. Tested as an elite athlete for a TE, but got overshadowed by Evan Engrams ridiculous combine. He is more physical than Engram and better in contested situations. Also great after the catch forcing a nation high 24 missed tackles and averaged 9.1 yards after the catch. IMO fits the mold of what McVay wants to do at the TE position perfectly. I don't think Higbee will be as successful as either Engram or Everett running option routes which are essential to McVay's system. Higbee can still play a big role stretching the seem and in the redzone. Could argue TE is the best position group in this draft and with the TE position being so critical to his offense I definitely see McVay getting his guy early.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Higbee will be as successful as either Engram or Everett running option routes which are essential to McVay's system.

You may be right. But once again I think a lot of folks misconstrue option routes a bit; they're not something you need a great athlete at TE for. Big guys with sneaky speed can be fine, it's more about whether they've got those natural instincts at quickly reading and reacting correctly. They need to determine what coverage it is, then either get up on the assigned CB's feet for their cut (man) or break away from the nearest DB (zone). It's a feel thing some guys have a natural gift for IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Draft

My opinions:
Howard - Gone. No reason to think about him.

Njoku - Likely gone. If not, I'd be all over him. He's a legitimate inline TE. He has shown the ability to run block and pass block while lined up on the LOS. He is a freakish athlete with great YAC skills. He has the upside to be a dominant all around TE.

Engram - Not a true TE. He's more of a big slot. Incredible athlete with YAC skills and hands. Has some focus drops. Willing blocker but not big enough or strong enough to block inline consistently. Could be very dangerous in an Aaron Hernandez type role (pun not intended)

Shaheen - Very talented but a raw small school player. Don't know if we're the right fit.

Hodges - I do not want him. He has no experience as a true TE, he's not a physical blocker, and he doesn't catch the ball well. He's a top notch athlete, but he's not a top notch football player. He's kind of Jared Cook-like.

Everett - Not a true TE. Offers the same sort of skill-set as Engram, but he's not quite as athletic.

Butt - He seems solid to me. He has a weird body, and I didn't really see a dominant talent. I thought he had some Zach Miller to his game (the Raiders TE). Has the potential to be a solid to good all around TE.

Leggett - Very talented with the skill-set to be a quality all around TE, but he hasn't shown the work ethic to unlock that potential thus far. Has the size to be a power player but likes to finesse in all aspects of the game.

Smith - A tad undersized (6'3" 248) but has the strength and physicality to play inline. Great athlete. High upside as a receiver. Hands could improve (lets the ball into his body too often and has concentration drops). Has a skill-set similar to Jordan Reed's.

Sprinkle - I like to compare him to Jermaine Gresham. Quality blocker with athleticism, but he's a high cut linear athlete. Good pass-catcher but limited in the routes he'll run effectively.

Roberts - Massive dude with massive hands. Will catch just about anything close to him. Has the size and strength to block. Solid athlete for his size. Gives poor effort as a blocker. Not a refined route runner. Needs an attitude change if he wants to start in the NFL.

Kittle - Stellar blocker despite being a little undersized for a blocking TE (6'4" 247). Blew up the Combine with his measurables (4.52 40, 11" broad jump, and 35 inch vertical). Needs to show crisper cuts and explode out of his breaks to become a bigger threat as a receiver. Has high-end potential due to his blocking ability and athleticism, and his floor should be that of a solid #2 TE even if he doesn't improve as a receiver.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has small hands, but he is a natural pass catcher unlike guys like Lance Kendricks. Tested as an elite athlete for a TE, but got overshadowed by Evan Engrams ridiculous combine. He is more physical than Engram and better in contested situations. Also great after the catch forcing a nation high 24 missed tackles and averaged 9.1 yards after the catch. IMO fits the mold of what McVay wants to do at the TE position perfectly. I don't think Higbee will be as successful as either Engram or Everett running option routes which are essential to McVay's system. Higbee can still play a big role stretching the seem and in the redzone. Could argue TE is the best position group in this draft and with the TE position being so critical to his offense I definitely see McVay getting his guy early.

I don't think McVay's scheme is as static as you guys seem to assume. McVay adjusted his scheme to best use Reed's skill-set, but when Reed was out, he made use of Vernon Davis (who is a completely different type of player).

If you draft a guy like Everett or Engram, you're essentially replacing the slot with them in many packages. That's fine. But you don't absolutely need an Everett or Engram. You could also just use your slot WR in that role.

fearsomefour

Legend
It comes down to the TE role and packages in the new O. So, who knows?
The two young TEs on the roster showed nothing last year. Doesn't mean they won't develop but they just globs of meat on the field last year when in.
Harkey wasn't used much.
Kendricks is the best of the bunch at this point and it isent close. To say other wise is sort of delusional. Four of five M for a TE who can play either side hand down, in the back field, in the slot he is solid route runner and usually a good blocker? I would be shocked if he was moved. If he is, it would surely indicate a write off year for the new coach.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It comes down to the TE role and packages in the new O. So, who knows?
The two young TEs on the roster showed nothing last year. Doesn't mean they won't develop but they just globs of meat on the field last year when in.
Harkey wasn't used much.
Kendricks is the best of the bunch at this point and it isent close. To say other wise is sort of delusional. Four of five M for a TE who can play either side hand down, in the back field, in the slot he is solid route runner and usually a good blocker? I would be shocked if he was moved. If he is, it would surely indicate a write off year for the new coach.

Yeah, I am of the opinion we keep Kendricks. He's the only "established" guy we have.

I see the potential in the other guys... and excited about them... plus, we might land another TE in the draft... but it feels like a very stripped down position if we release Kendricks.

Rams have some tough decisions to make.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, I am of the opinion we keep Kendricks. He's the only "established" guy we have.

I see the potential in the other guys... and excited about them... plus, we might land another TE in the draft... but it feels like a very stripped down position if we release Kendricks.

Part of going young year after year....there just is no depth.
Cunningham, didn't see enough of him to have an opinion at all.
Higbee didn't play well but just read Snead said he was hampered by an injury. Maybe that true or maybe the guy was just overwhelmed. Either way I look forward to him progressing into year two.
Kendricks is a good TE. Not a top 5 guy but certainly not bad either. I think his contract is reasonable for what he does.

Ram65

Legend

Part of going young year after year....there just is no depth.
Cunningham, didn't see enough of him to have an opinion at all.
Higbee didn't play well but just read Snead said he was hampered by an injury. Maybe that true or maybe the guy was just overwhelmed. Either way I look forward to him progressing into year two.
Kendricks is a good TE. Not a top 5 guy but certainly not bad either. I think his contract is reasonable for what he does.

I couldn't see the Rams cutting Kendricks and getting nothing for him. I was thinking about a trade because he has value and if the Rams pay his roster bonus a trade partner only has the 3.25 M salary. I think Kendricks stays but, Harkey is gone. Rams continue to develop Higbee and Hemingway. Higbee will make the team and play more. Rams need to see where Hemingway is because he is still unknown. They Rams will either draft a TE or find a unknown no name free agent.