Rams Tavon Austin Vs Cardinals John Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ram007

Starter
Tavon is probably faster and has better catch radius. But John Brown (aligator arms) is successful as outside WR with 3 or 4 game winning touchdowns already whereas Tavon is being used in slot and as a RB with minimal success.

Is John Brown better or Tavon not being used in the outside WR like John Brown has reduced his effectivness? (n)

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
John Brown will face coverages Tavon does as he continues to make more noise. Also, you can't leave Fitz unaccounted for so there's that, along with the system and QB situation.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Bradford and Austin last year vs. Palmer/Stanton and Brown (first 7 games) . Brown has impressed more so far imo.

Although there were a few TDs called back from Tavon last year, I cant remember if that was before or after Bradford went down. (Probably both)

It's the system/ coaches. Guaranteed that Tavon becomes a game breaker if he is on another team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
John Brown has a better offensive staff scheming to his strengths, and better overall play around him. Give them Tavon and he would terrorize us under Arians and his staff.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd still take Tavon, John Brown is Chris Givens his rookie year. I've seen what Tavon can do, just gotta feed the kid, I bet he's hungry!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Tavon is working in a running based offense with a 3rd string QB and a below average supporting cast of wide receivers. Is it still Tavons fault that he isn't making plays though? Absolutely. John Brown is better given what he has produced this season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Brown looks very good. Is Tavon really faster? He doesn't look faster. Maybe if Tavon would run straight he would appear faster. Brown plays very fast and his diving TD was Sick.

V3

Hall of Fame
Tavon is probably faster and has better catch radius. But John Brown (aligator arms) is successful as outside WR with 3 or 4 game winning touchdowns already whereas Tavon is being used in slot and as a RB with minimal success.

Is John Brown better or Tavon not being used in the outside WR like John Brown has reduced his effectivness? (n)
I hate to break it to you but Austin has shorter arms(30" vs 30.5") and a much shorter vertical (32" vs 36.5")so Brown has a much bigger catch radius. Oh yeah, and the hands of Brown are MUCH better. Seems like he can grasp an offense, too. Also, route running.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I hate to break it to you but Austin has shorter arms(30" vs 30.5") and a much shorter vertical (32" vs 36.5")so Brown has a much bigger catch radius. Oh yeah, and the hands of Brown are MUCH better. Seems like he can grasp an offense, too. Also, route running.
In Arians' offense, John Brown is T.Y. Hilton. He's been put in a position to succeed, with an exact plan for his usage.
On the other hand, Tavon is a man without a position. I'm positive that if the roles were reversed, Tavon would be a star right now.

V3

Hall of Fame
In Arians' offense, John Brown is T.Y. Hilton. He's been put in a position to succeed, with an exact plan for his usage.
On the other hand, Tavon is a man without a position. I'm positive that if the roles were reversed, Tavon would be a star right now.
I'm sure people will assume that I consider Tavon a bust but I've never said he is/will be. I just feel his abilities are greatly exaggerated. I'll give him that he has excellent speed and quickness but that's all I see in him(TBH, he' rarely looks fast in his routes, though). Those two skills will allow him to do some things but it'll will limit his ceiling. Given a creative OC, I'm sure they could get some decent production out of him, but I expect MUCH more out of a #8 pick that we also gave up a 2nd for. I don't think he'll be a star. Just a guy that will make a play every once in a while that'll get people excited and then go invisible at other times. Stars shouldn't require the play to make them look good, IMO. So yeah, by all means, get an OC in here that is creative. I agree Schotty isn't doing Austin any favors. I'm just not going to expect that to make him a star. The Rams overdrafted him and it really hurt this team's progress, IMO. That's why it burns me so much.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Its all about the system. Bruce Arians knows what John Browns strengths are and puts the kid in a position to win and use them. Hmmm Shotty not so much. Its not that he doesn't know the strengths of Tavon Austin, its more his system doesn't really go well with what Tavon does best.

Remember when we drafted Tavon we started that year off in a spread offense. It could have worked if we had a better run game. But now they are down to a 4th string QB and a run first offense. So Tavon won't be used like Brown is sad to say.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm sure people will assume that I consider Tavon a bust but I've never said he is/will be. I just feel his abilities are greatly exaggerated. I'll give him that he has excellent speed and quickness but that's all I see in him(TBH, he' rarely looks fast in his routes, though). Those two skills will allow him to do some things but it'll will limit his ceiling. Given a creative OC, I'm sure they could get some decent production out of him, but I expect MUCH more out of a #8 pick that we also gave up a 2nd for. I don't think he'll be a star. Just a guy that will make a play every once in a while that'll get people excited and then go invisible at other times. Stars shouldn't require the play to make them look good, IMO. So yeah, by all means, get an OC in here that is creative. I agree Schotty isn't doing Austin any favors. I'm just not going to expect that to make him a star. The Rams overdrafted him and it really hurt this team's progress, IMO. That's why it burns me so much.
I mostly agree with what you've said. He was over drafted for sure, and that's compounded by the fact that he doesn't fit the offense. Where I disagree is that I don't think it would even take a 'creative' OC to get the most out of him, just a coordinator that would put him in a position to use his strengths which are the speed and quickness.

There's nothing unique or special in what guys like John Brown, T.Y. Hilton or other speedy receivers do. The ability to run a skinny post or a go route from the slot is not a profound skill that requires time in the books or 100s of reps in practice. It's about using the abundant speed that you have, and maybe a well timed head fake to create a little separation. If there's daylight in front of Tavon, no one will catch the guy, yet they just can't get the ball to him on those kinds of routes. It's beyond puzzling. I mean, apparently they trust that he has the speed to create something out of bubble screens.

V3

Hall of Fame
I mostly agree with what you've said. He was over drafted for sure, and that's compounded by the fact that he doesn't fit the offense. Where I disagree is that I don't think it would even take a 'creative' OC to get the most out of him, just a coordinator that would put him in a position to use his strengths which are the speed and quickness.

There's nothing unique or special in what guys like John Brown, T.Y. Hilton or other speedy receivers do. The ability to run a skinny post or a go route from the slot is not a profound skill that requires time in the books or 100s of reps in practice. It's about using the abundant speed that you have, and maybe a well timed head fake to create a little separation. If there's daylight in front of Tavon, no one will catch the guy, yet they just can't get the ball to him on those kinds of routes. It's beyond puzzling. I mean, apparently they trust that he has the speed to create something out of bubble screens.
I've seen the Rams use other WR's on go routes and such so I know they use them. They won't use Tavon on them, though. I think they don't because they don't feel comfortable with Tavon being able to go fight for the ball in the air. Could be wrong. Just a theory. I still think they should try it anyways for at least no other reason than to get defenders to back off the line from Austin.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

This must be a rhetorical question ... because I think we all know the answer here why John Brown has been effective whereas Tavon hasn't.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Why do we always envy other teams players and coaches? When will other fans start envying ours?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Looks like, and only from the outside, that guys like Brown, TY, Sanders, Cook & others have better hands & more athletic ability....Seems like most little wr's are hungrier...Whereas Tavon seems to act like he's done it all and is more accomplished...IDK, could be wrong. But always celebrating first downs?!? Really?!?..His next time laying out for a catch/throw will be his first IMO.