Rams Targeting Cj Mosley To Replace Dunbar?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
This is a smokescreen. We don't need another top flight LB. Only way we do this is if we're moving to a 3-4.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Our starters at LB are pretty good are depth though is a concern. Is it enough of a concern to warrant a high draft choice when we need help in the secondary, OL and WR. Come May we will find out. Barr would certainly play well in excess of 40% of the snaps on D irrespective of the Package we are in.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mosley would make a great ILB after he adds a few pounds to his frame. He has the ability to play all LB spots, and the only knock he really has against him is his consistency of being a pass rusher. He could be a candidate to drop to the beginning of the second round as well, as a run on positions could push him lower.

I say why not. The value could definitely be there at the bottom of the first round if we trade back accumulating more picks.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Listening to Snead, he mentioned 2 teams that had 2 first round picks, the Bears and Ravens.

And he said the Bears picked Sayers and Butkus in the 60's. And the Ravens picked Ogden and Ray Lewis.

So I think he intends to pick a HOF MLB.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I also want to point out that Rams scouts were at multiple Ohio State games. This brings to mind that Shazier might be an option as well.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You've got to admire Kevin Demoff... In 2013 the Rams paid an $11M roster bonus to JL. In doing so, the rest of his contract/cap hit becomes very palatable...

2014 = $10.4M
2015 = $4.0M
2016 = $6.2M
2017 = $8.1M if they elect to pay roster bonus of $2M

Long story short, it was a front loaded contract saving dollars to extend others (Bradford, Brockers, Quinn, etc) but keeping a core player around in the process.

PhxRam

You've got to admire Kevin Demoff... In 2013 the Rams paid an $11M roster bonus to JL. In doing so, the rest of his contract/cap hit becomes very palatable...

2014 = $10.4M
2015 = $4.0M
2016 = $6.2M

Long story short, it was a front loaded contract saving dollars to extend others (Bradford, Brockers, Quinn, etc) but keeping a core player around in the process.

I guess the downside to that is that in no given year will we big players in FA because next years cap money has already been spent.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think a top CB in the same slot is much more justified. However, if we don't bring Dunbar back then it is a big need. I don't know why we wouldn't bring Dunbar back, though. He likes being a Ram and I don't see him signing for much more than the vet minimum.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I guess the downside to that is that in no given year will we big players in FA because next years cap money has already been spent.

Well true.

I guess, however, keeping "what you got" might be better than searching for it in FA.

That's what happened with London Fletcher, sort of.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Id rather have Mack. I hear hes way more physical.

I like Mack more as well. Mack can play all over the place (4-3 DE, 4-3 OLB, 3-4 OLB). And not just play, but play great. He is good in coverage and the run, and of course can rush the passer as well. I am currently high on taking him.

Alan

Legend
There are many players I'd love to have wear Horns but we can't get them all. OLB is a fairly low priority IMO.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
My favorite OLB prospect for the Rams(Denzel Perryman) is returning for his senior year. Was really hoping to grab him in the 3rd. Oh well. Time to do more homework on the others.

F. Mulder

Starter
If Dunbar goes I'm all for giving Ray Ray and Bates a shot. Mosely seems like a real heady player. Mack is more of a thumper. I could live with either if they went that direction.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Love the discussion. I just want to point out that right now I'm going off where Rams scouts have been seen. The guy that wrote this tweet is a crimson tide beat writer for what I think is a school publication. He's close to the team. With that said, how sure is he that the Rams were there scouting Mosley. Smart money bet is that they were checking out Ha-Ha and some O-line prospects as well.

Like I said, it will be more telling when the visits after the shrine game, senior bowl, and visits to Rams Park roll in.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Rather have Shazier in the 2nd than Mosley in the first.

Any word if the Rams have checked out Mack ChrisW?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
2014 = $10.4M
2015 = $4.0M
2016 = $6.2M

Yes very much like the Chris Long Contract both those contracts are with top class act team first players. Both are rainy day or emergency day cap funds to be reworked as needed to preserve the core of the team. I will be very surprised if JL contract remains like is ...with a few moments of time JL could have his buddy Jo Lunn Dunbar back in the core in minutes.

When cap space get tight like it is right now and the Org. has a chance to make a move on a targeted UFA JL & CL are there to assist. And if the unexpected happens with them & they refuse to assist then their contracts are set up so they can be released. Not that that would happen but take JL's contract .... can be released with out much of a whimper in 2015 if need be.

Alan

Legend
Well OK Bonifay, it's that time of the night again but didn't I just read (and talk about) a story that discussed how CL's recent reworking of his contract makes another reworking unproductive because of the minimal amount of gain. But your right about JL's contract.

If memory serves me right, JL has one of the few or even only contract that can be reworked for anything substantial. It's going to make it really hard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I heard some of that but it just does not make much sense to me. CL's contract for 2014 is nearly 15 million nearly 18 mil of dead $$ if released sure CL could just say no but that's a bunch of cap $$ tied up there...CL could rework his deal if he wants. What says he can't do it. But if the need is there its JL turn anyway.