Rams take O-lineman in first round of Todd McShay's latest mock draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In my opinion there are maybe 3 or 4 OT's worth taking in the 1st Round, But I don't see any OG's, except for possibly Maybe Nelson from Notre Dame, worth a 1st, and No Centers at this point!
I need more input ...

Johnny%205.jpg
... Like SPARQ Scores, I want to see them in the combine and see some Film on them!

Ram65

Legend
True Jensen cost would be high but Saffold would be even higher than Jensen & we would not know if he wants to sign with us until later next year. With Jensen they would have a young 27 old Ol'er for a long period time how much time do we really have with a damaged much older Sullivan. I do agree that Blythe may be the real long term bargain answer here if your looking at cap savings. If you loose Brown & Havenstein because you signed Saffold & Sullivan your are stuck with two over 30 Ol'ers instead with often injured Sullivan & Saffold.

Lots to think about here as you have hinted. What is the protection of Goff worth short range? Long range? As you know I consider the #1 priority over any other unit ...if your going to go cheap & bargain hunting would it be better to look at other areas beside the Goff protection unit? Goff must be protected if we are to win.

Jensen is an offensive center, at least that's what he has been playing. Paying him big money and changing his position is questionable. The thing about Saffold is he is 29.7 years old and the Rams have him for another year. So if he hits the market at almost 31 teams may not want to invest high $$$ and year. Rams could redo his contract and even save some money this year if they want to. Rams can give him what amounts to a 4 year deal in 2018 and keep him till 2021. Keep in mind that Whitworth contract ends in 2019. It a risk with Saffold and aging o lineman but, he by far their best run blocker. His contract extension could be worth 8 Million or so a year. All things considered Saffold has been healthy the past two years and so has Sullivan.

I am open about the offensive line possibilities to solve the questions of Brown's and Hav's contract as well. If Kromer and the Rams can find alternatives in free agency (cheaper) with some less known players I'm all for it. It looks like it's not a very strong offensive line free agent market this year. The young good ones will cost a lot of money. Part of the answer could be Blythe. The draft is a possibility but, with no second and need all around when do they pull the trigger on an O Lineman. Yes, lots to think about.

Here a link for Jansens market value of 8.9M.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/ryan-jensen-12485/market-value/

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
At the very least Blythe is serviceable. I am really starting to fall in love with Nelson and know he's like that Tesla I want... it's not going to happen! lol

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The thing about Saffold is he is 29.7 years old and the Rams have him for another year. So if he hits the market at almost 31 teams may not want to invest high $$$ and year.
I'm not sure your right about Saffold's age starting to be a factor. there have been a lot of O-Lineman who have played well past 30, and Played well!
The Rams alone have had Players Like Tom Mack, Jackie Slater, Ken Iman and others that where quite "Long-in-the-Tooth" by the time they retired, and I'm sure other Teams would have jumped on them, had they had a chance to sign them, after they where 30! JMHO(y);):D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure your right about Saffold's age starting to be a factor. there have been a lot of O-Lineman who have played well past 30, and Played well!
The Rams alone have had Players Like Tom Mack, Jackie Slater, Ken Iman and others that where quite "Long-in-the-Tooth" by the time they retired, and I'm sure other Teams would have jumped on them, had they had a chance to sign them, after they where 30! JMHO(y);):D
Morning Dave:coffee:

I was the member who brought up Saffold's age....I will agree with you that Saffold if he can remain healthy might go way into his mid 30's playing in the NFL. Saffold is coming off his best season in 2017. However before this past season Saffold best season was back in 2010 his rookie season. I have given Saffold a big break offered up excuses for him because he has to endure playing next to a train wreak named GRob for most of the 2014-2015 & 2016 seasons that alone would make a player like Tom Mack look like :poop:! The reason bring up the age was not questioning his ability to play @ a high level into his mid 30's but the problem bring up the age factor was the cost of his salary.

Saffold also signed a nice Ram salary cap friendly contract back in March 14, 2014 to a five year contract worth $31.5 million. So due to his age over 30 it would be a good bet that Saffold will want demand a true worth of approx 10 mil a season or even more with some serious guaranteed $$$. Rams stand to be in much tighter salary cap position in 2019 than currently in 2018, thus stand a higher chance that Saffold will depart. Just me thinking here.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend

I agree offensive lineman can play well into their 30. I have the Rams extending Saffold now for a total of 4 years to age 34 (could be an extra year (5) with minimal cap if they cut him at 35 years of age. He will be 30 in June. Next year 31 in June. Remember Jake Long and Scott Wells. Teams have become a little more cautious signing free agents on the wrong side of 30.

Without all he details the Rams could give Saffold more guaranteed money now to have him forgo free agency next year. Roger get more security and maybe a little less money. Like the Rams, teams are willing to pay more money for younger free agents (Robert Woods) coming of their first contract. Older free agents don't always get as much. It can get down to who wants to take the most risk. If Roger waits a year he could get hurt and not get that new contract. If the Rams extend him they take more risk because they will have to guarantee him the signing bonus and 1-1.5 years extra salary.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
UFA centers John Sullivan vs. Daniel Kilgore

This 9ers starting center just got one heck of a nice contract. IMO he is not close to being as effective as the Rams starting center John Sullivan. I read all our members mocks some very good some not so good.....but none of these mocks come close in their estimations of the high the cost of signing UFA Sully here in a few weeks. If a poor paying center like Kilgore can get 4 million a season with 7 million guaranteed then you will have to review all those mock that have Sully's contract coming in here far below market value.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/964095443725467649

The #49ers’ contract extension for [standout :huh:]C Daniel Kilgore is a three-year deal worth nearly $12M with some upside potential, source said. QB Jimmy Garoppolo’s center gets $7M in guarantees.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6669/daniel-kilgore

49ers C Daniel Kilgore's new deal includes $7 million in guarantees.

The three-year deal is worth "nearly $12 million" according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. It is a good contract for an at best solid player. Kilgore is now under contract through his age-33 season. Feb 15 - 9:19 AM

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Kilgore was massively overpaid by a club with too much cap space. He’s half the player Sullivan is, that said those numbers are troubling.

Ram65

Legend
UFA centers John Sullivan vs. Daniel Kilgore

This 9ers starting center just got one heck of a nice contract. IMO he is not close to being as effective as the Rams starting center John Sullivan. I read all our members mocks some very good some not so good.....but none of these mocks come close in their estimations of the high the cost of signing UFA Sully here in a few weeks. If a poor paying center like Kilgore can get 4 million a season with 7 million guaranteed then you will have to review all those mock that have Sully's contract coming in here far below market value.

I agree that estimates for Sullivan contract have been undervalued. I've been looking at 2.5 Million for each of two years. I might have even got to 3-3.5 Million a year. To my surprise OCs make a lot more money than I thought. Here is a link.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/center/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-san-francisco-49ers-15-chicago-bears-14
C DANIEL KILGORE, 87.5 OVERALL GRADE
In Kyle Shanahan’s system of outside zone running, the center’s run blocking ability is absolutely vital to the team’s overall success. Kilgore was great at using his athleticism to seal off the Bears’ interior defenders to open up lanes for his running backs. In addition to the team’s highest run-blocking grade, Kilgore did not allow a pressure on the day and finished with an 85.3 pass-blocking grade.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like Kilgore fits Shanahan's scheme. He had a poor grade for the year but, showed that he can work within the system and could have developed a good repore with Jimmy G. It should increase the price of resigning Sullivan. Gilmore is younger and I don't think he had the injury problems Sully has had. I think going 3.5 Million is a good deal for both sides on a two year deal. IIRC the Ravens are letting their OC go and I'm sure other teams would be interested. I was hoping this would be the easy resign.