Rams tackle Greg Robinson working to correct 'technical' issues/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
What I love about this game is the strategy.

Mostly the strategy of the game planning (the NFL is a game of match ups... I could talk hours about this), but also the strategy of roster building.

I'm not sure this team could/can afford the development cycle of so many players, but I'm keenly aware that most players take time.

There are exceptions, but there are many more examples of players who take time.

Frustrated with the penalties? Sure. Still a fan of the player? You bet.

It does take time for many, but that shouldn't apply to 1st round top 15 picks, certainly not a #2 and certainly not at this pace (pun intended).

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Can't they fine him for not putting in the effort? How do you wake up someone like that... fine him, sit him or ?? This guys being paid to put in the effort and performance that matches his compensation....screw his athleticism, who's running the asylum?
They aren't gonna bench him. Even before the injuries. They're stuck with him. They have too much invested in him. Both financially and in draft status.

I know for a fact that he's been approached more than once. Apparently the light is starting to come on. He's starting to realize he can't just show up and rely on his athleticism anymore. It's no coincidence that that quote was uttered by him.

Look I'm not trying to bury the kid. He's got all the PHYSICAL tools to be a great player. But unless and until the mental side come with some maturity, he's gonna continue to struggle. And I'm not calling him dumb. I'm calling him immature.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This right here is the biggest cause for all his struggles.

I have come to find out that it's been a huge chore to get Mr. Robinson in the film room. Veteran members of the unit have approached him numerous times trying to "teach" him how to prepare as a pro.

His unwillingness to put in the time because of his athleticism has been a source of frustration to more than just the coaches.

As much as they want to focus on technique IMO his lack of preparation has as much to do with it as anything else. The hesitation stemming from the uncertainty of not knowing his assignment on any given play causes a lot of the technique issues.

It's also a big reason to have a veteran lining up next to him.

Like you said, immature.

Moving him to guard is not an option. We can't afford to spend more draft capital on a LT. He WILL learn the position. *Fingers crossed.

That is debatable. If Battle were to progress into a OLT, that is better than Robinson, then they should move him to Guard.

Can't they fine him for not putting in the effort? How do you wake up someone like that... fine him, sit him or ?? This guys being paid to put in the effort and performance that matches his compensation....screw his athleticism, who's running the asylum?

They could sit him if they had a replacement. But they don't, right now.

One thing they did was draft another OLT in the supplemental draft. Maybe that sends a message, or maybe Battle ultimately outplays GRob and he moves inside. Fisher always says he wants the five best players on the line. I realize that it is a big if, but if Battle can become better than Havenstein or GRob he should play.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Like you said, immature.

That is debatable. If Battle were to progress into a OLT, that is better than Robinson, then they should move him to Guard.

They could sit him if they had a replacement. But they don't, right now.

One thing they did was draft another OLT in the supplemental draft. Maybe that sends a message, or maybe Battle ultimately outplays GRob and he moves inside. Fisher always says he wants the five best players on the line. I realize that it is a big if, but if Battle can become better than Havenstein or GRob he should play.
What would make you think that is even remotely possible? What has Battle shown to even merit a mention? So far nothing!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What would make you think that is even remotely possible? What has Battle shown to even merit a mention? So far nothing me!

Anything is possible. Robinson has looked like the worst Tackle in the league, and if he doesn't progress maybe Battle or Williams can. Battle has the athleticism required to play tackle. That is the one part that cannot be coached.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Moving him to guard is not an option. We can't afford to spend more draft capital on a LT. He WILL learn the position. *Fingers crossed.

That's what I said about Gurley since we had Mason and Stacy. I was wrong, we're better off with Gurley and I think it's a mistake to take that view with LT.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
As much as I want him to hurry up and fix his issues, this is just a great example of how technical the OT position is. The corrections sound easy to us, but putting it down on the field is a different story. It's easy for us all to armchair the fuck out a of player, but these guys walk a fine line of success and failure every play. I really do find it fascinating and it's what makes the NFL so fun to watch. But seriously, get your shit together, Greg. We're all pulling for you, but these mistakes cannot continue for much longer.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
They aren't gonna bench him. Even before the injuries. They're stuck with him. They have too much invested in him. Both financially and in draft status.

I know for a fact that he's been approached more than once. Apparently the light is starting to come on. He's starting to realize he can't just show up and rely on his athleticism anymore. It's no coincidence that that quote was uttered by him.

Look I'm not trying to bury the kid. He's got all the PHYSICAL tools to be a great player. But unless and until the mental side come with some maturity, he's gonna continue to struggle. And I'm not calling him dumb. I'm calling him immature.
Not terribly surprising a 23-year-old who has always been able to physically dominate the people around him (on the football field) and who hasn't had to work hard due to his athletic ability would be immature. I just hope maturity comes fast.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
G-Rob had 6 months in the off-season plus training camp and the preseason to work on fundamentals.

Kinda what I was thinking... no, he's not a bust... but, geesh, seems his progression has come along awfully slow.

Boudreau?
Actually, he had a toe injury that slowed his work this off-season....Film issues like coach spoke of...only 2 seasons at Auburn....simplified offense....

But patience with this one....We have a much larger problem on offense...G-Rob( my buddy called him G-Rab) is coming along fine...He's at least acknowledging there is a problem....half the battle...

I'm actually more concerned with the linemen that continue to get injured....

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I think he is way behind Mathews. Should have taken Mathews and another pick.
Players need to produce now. By the time they "get it" other players will be gone and then the Rams will be replacing them with players that only needs 2-3 years to "get it."

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe he lunges AFTER he moves backwards, like when he hit Clay Mathews he simply spun around G-rob and sacked Foles, but don't quote me on that. Anyone?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's young. He would be playing his senior year in college right now. He's 22. No reason to worry just yet.