Rams tackle Greg Robinson working to correct 'technical' issues/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I found it interesting where he talked about things he learned and did in college draw a flag in the Pros. Obviously the guy needs to step it up. I think he will. It's not the physical inability like I saw with JS. It appears to be some fairly minor tweaks he needs to keep working on to get the position down for the NFL game. Let's just keep in mind that that is the toughest position on the line and he is not actually all that far behind Matthews in his grasp of the position. He will get better and I think it will even show this week.
And I really can't overstate how little help we give him on passing plays (We gave Jake Long more help), and he's had a revolving door of Guards. Just the latter is a huge deal for an offensive lineman, let alone, all the other factors.

TexasRam

Legend
Name one tackle you have seen that had put it together in year 3 after looking this bad.

Grob is not getting better at all. There is no improvement from game 1.

Cut bait.

I want to believe in him but it's not there... And it won't be...ever.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.....It's also a big reason to have a veteran lining up next to him.
I posted about this several times the past couple of weeks...this may look like its a very small bit of information & most will discard as meaningless small info nugget......but look at this a little deeper....

Who was moved form the original initial opening season OL set up? Rookie Jamon Brown who started the season @ left OG next to GRob was really shinning & playing at a very high level for a rookie OL'er. But as CoachO said GRob's play was a problem. Fisher & Boudreau made the decision to flip the rookie from the left side where he has been playing since his first season in college to the into Rodger Saffold's vacant RIGHT side post.

Then they inserted the 6th OL'er veteran Garrett Reynolds into Brown's post to assist Grob with is issues. Now Garrett Reynolds play @ OLG has not been disappointing & fact is he has done just about as well as the rookie Jamon Brown did. Here comes the bad from this GRob issue .....Jamon Brown's performances @ right OG were vastly different from his play @ OLG. Now for the summary of all this GRob's play continues to show up negatively every Sunday. The GRob issues continue :censored: even after all the attempts to get him the help and the bad that resulted to others from those moves.

Lucky for us that Garrett Reynolds is here :bow:& is willing to assist GRob...would be nice :huh: if GRob would give a bit more of his time to fully understand :thinking:what efforts that this Ram team is making to get his play up to NFL level.

In conclusion GRob has no competition to push him currently. Isaiah Battle is the only OLT reserve on this team. Rams have lost 2 starters & the 6th OL'er to the IR and currently we have 2 injured starters on the OL in Havenstein & Barnes. :palm:

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Name one tackle you have seen that had put it together in year 3 after looking this bad.

Cut bait.

Year three? What the fuck? He's not even through with the second season! I'm guessing you gave up on Tavon as well.

No improvement from game one? Dude, did you even watch him last season? The guy was playing on what was basically a bad toe injury and he was playing well.

You don't seem like you want to believe in him either with constant comments like the ones I've bolded. You've given up on him before he's played for two seasons, and that doesn't fly with me. Same with all of the comments I saw on Austin. Same with all of the comments I saw on Quick before he broke out in year three before his horrific injury.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not saying that I'm wrong. I'm saying to have a little goddamned patience before you cut every young player for being young.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Ouch, I think someone just got put on notice that I. Battle is breathing down their neck. And that's not a bad thing by Fisher in my opinion and glad to see it after a sub-par season so far. If Battle rounds out to the type of player he looks like he can be I'd be getting my **** together real fast if I was Robinson or he'll be moved to guard by next season which might be better for him anyway.
Moving him to guard is not an option. We can't afford to spend more draft capital on a LT. He WILL learn the position. *Fingers crossed.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Cut bait.

Ryan Clady, Jason Peters, honestly, too many to list. Tyron Smith started as a RT.

Robinson didn't start playing the offensive line, until his junior year at high school. He played two years in college, in a very simple gimmicky offense. Snead drafts for upside, and it's something that we keep seeing. The 3rd year is the year. Robinson had foot surgery in the offseason, so all this improvement in fundamentals everyone keeps mentioning, couldn't happen in the offseason.

Next year will be his year, but he's not as bad as everyone is saying, or he'd have a TE on top of him, or a RB on his side, on every passing play.

That's all I'll say. Kind of getting tired of it.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
When Robinson says he's "kicking up," he means that he has a bad habit of taking a step forward when in pass protection and creating a softer edge, which allows defenders to run past him.

I don't understand how this habit could form. In a regular pass block your first step should always be backwards.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not making excuses and then saying things like I thought my athletic ability... Things I did in college 2 FREAKING YEARS ago. is just that making excuses.

Now @CoachO has info that he isn't working hard enough in the classroom to prepare???? Fisher should be kicking his butt up and down that field. He is young but 2 years into your rookie contract is not time for the light to be coming on. Sit his ass down (if only there weren't so many injuries) and let him know his job is not a gift he needs to earn it.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
This right here is the biggest cause for all his struggles.

I have come to find out that it's been a huge chore to get Mr. Robinson in the film room. Veteran members of the unit have approached him numerous times trying to "teach" him how to prepare as a pro.

His unwillingness to put in the time because of his athleticism has been a source of frustration to more than just the coaches.

As much as they want to focus on technique IMO his lack of preparation has as much to do with it as anything else. The hesitation stemming from the uncertainty of not knowing his assignment on any given play causes a lot of the technique issues.

It's also a big reason to have a veteran lining up next to him.
If I was the veteran with this group, I guarantee his "unwillingness" would change real quick. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on him, but for God's sake the dude needs to pull his head from his a$$ and figure it out. Code Red... Code Red!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Year three? What the freak? He's not even through with the second season! I'm guessing you gave up on Tavon as well.

No improvement from game one? Dude, did you even watch him last season? The guy was playing on what was basically a bad toe injury and he was playing well.

You don't seem like you want to believe in him either with constant comments like the ones I've bolded. You've given up on him before he's played for two seasons, and that doesn't fly with me. Same with all of the comments I saw on Austin. Same with all of the comments I saw on Quick before he broke out in year three before his horrific injury.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not saying that I'm wrong. I'm saying to have a little goddamned patience before you cut every young player for being young.

Quick broke out? He's had four good games in 3 years. That's not breaking out that's a minor flash.

And there's no need to curse at the guy because he disagrees with you. I think his long term position should be a guard. I'm not giving up on GROB being a good player, but finding a decent LT should be a priority. Some people seem like they think GRob is a bust if he's not at LT. Guys got enough power to be a great guard.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Ryan Clady, Jason Peters, honestly, too many to list. Tyron Smith started as a RT.

Robinson didn't start playing the offensive line, until his junior year at high school. He played two years in college, in a very simple gimmicky offense. Snead drafts for upside, and it's something that we keep seeing. The 3rd year is the year. Robinson had foot surgery in the offseason, so all this improvement in fundamentals everyone keeps mentioning, couldn't happen in the offseason.

Next year will be his year, but he's not as bad as everyone is saying, or he'd have a TE on top of him, or a RB on his side, on every passing play.

That's all I'll say. Kind of getting tired of it.

The fact that he doesn't have help reflects more on a lack of adaptable coaching then his ability to stop pass rushers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Cut bait.

Actually he hasn't even played 16 games at LT has he? Let's not forget he started last year at LG. He went through training camp not even allowed to train at one position we put hm through two. A guy that we all know needed to be coached up and taught how to be a pro wasn't even allowed to try we just messed with the kid with indecisive coaches. It is humorous all the hate this kid gets especially when people claim he's in his second year at LT which he clearly sent.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Quick broke out? He's had four good games in 3 years. That's not breaking out that's a minor flash.

And there's no need to curse at the guy because he disagrees with you. I think his long term position should be a guard. I'm not giving up on GROB being a good player, but finding a decent LT should be a priority. Some people seem like they think GRob is a bust if he's not at LT. Guys got enough power to be a great guard.

And I'm not giving up on him being a great left tackle before he's had three years. I'm just sick of all of the comments of "bust" and "cut bait" because I've heard them with Quick (who was playing at a high level before he destroyed his shoulder, which is what I mean by breaking out). I've heard them with Austin. I've heard them with Brockers. I've heard them with Quinn. I've heard them with Ogletree, McDonald, Joyner, Barron, etc. I've heard them with a lot of young players who are criticized for being young and making mistakes - which is what young players tend to freaking do! The Odell Beckhams and Aaron Donalds of the world don't grow on trees. Hell, our very own Wes Welker took a while to become the best slot receiver this game has ever seen. He was on the practice squad for two years, undrafted out of Texas Tech, before the Cheatriots took a chance on him and turned him into a great slot receiver.

I am cursing at him because of comments like "cut bait" and "he'll never improve...ever". Those are not set in stone, especially not before the second season of a career is finished yet. Because you know what? I'm sick of those comments. I got the hell away from RamStalk to get AWAY from comments like that.

Three years. That's all I'm saying. If he's the same in three years, then you can call me whatever names you want. Because if he becomes an awesome left tackle, you can bet the house that I'm going to gloat this time around, like I should've done with Austin.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ever heard of a little known tackle by the name of Jackie Slater? Broke the starting line-up in year four. Art Shell comes to mind. I think he started his first game in year 3.

Those are two just off the top of my head and both are in the HOF. I'm going to guess that if I did any kind of search of OTs that didn't come on until after their second year, I would come up with a boat load. So let's not act like GRob is some sort of anomaly for the position. That is not an easy position to master and LTs are going after ever more freakish of ends and OLBs.

Cut bait? Yeah - that makes sense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was firmly in the Mathews camp, and year two he's looking really good (one sack allowed). Love the pedigree.

But... NO WAY am I down on GRob. If you take away Chicago, he would be in the discussion for our best lineman.

Yes, we'd like better... But he's still very inexperienced, seems to have his head in the game, and any comparison to Jason Smith is just silly talk.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was firmly in the Mathews camp, and year two he's looking really good (one sack allowed). Love the pedigree.

But... NO WAY am I down on GRob. If you take away Chicago, he would be in the discussion for our best lineman.

Yes, we'd like better... But he's still very inexperienced, seems to have his head in the game, and any comparison to Jason Smith is just silly talk.
Agreed, the bolded especially is just narrow minded. The guy didn't even play the first 4 games last year. Then started 3 or 4 at LG and it wasn't until Jake Long went down that he finally started the last 8 or 9 games at LT. We're literally talking about calling a guy with 18 games at LT a bust after having 1 training camp to learn LT in the NFL. I also was firmly in the Jake Matthews camp, didn't like passing up on a sure fire starter at LT for a decade for a guy with all the potential. But to give up on him half way through his first year at LT is just mind boggling.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Agreed, the bolded especially is just narrow minded. The guy didn't even play the first 4 games last year. Then started 3 or 4 at LG and it wasn't until Jake Long went down that he finally started the last 8 or 9 games at LT. We're literally talking about calling a guy with 18 games at LT a bust after having 1 training camp to learn LT in the NFL. I also was firmly in the Jake Matthews camp, didn't like passing up on a sure fire starter at LT for a decade for a guy with all the potential. But to give up on him half way through his first year at LT is just mind boggling.

What I love about this game is the strategy.

Mostly the strategy of the game planning (the NFL is a game of match ups... I could talk hours about this), but also the strategy of roster building.

I'm not sure this team could/can afford the development cycle of so many players, but I'm keenly aware that most players take time.

There are exceptions, but there are many more examples of players who take time.

Frustrated with the penalties? Sure. Still a fan of the player? You bet.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
This right here is the biggest cause for all his struggles.

I have come to find out that it's been a huge chore to get Mr. Robinson in the film room. Veteran members of the unit have approached him numerous times trying to "teach" him how to prepare as a pro.

His unwillingness to put in the time because of his athleticism has been a source of frustration to more than just the coaches.

As much as they want to focus on technique IMO his lack of preparation has as much to do with it as anything else. The hesitation stemming from the uncertainty of not knowing his assignment on any given play causes a lot of the technique issues.

It's also a big reason to have a veteran lining up next to him.

Can't they fine him for not putting in the effort? How do you wake up someone like that... fine him, sit him or ?? This guys being paid to put in the effort and performance that matches his compensation....screw his athleticism, who's running the asylum?