Rams' struggling offensive line will remain as constituted

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Struggling offensive line will remain as constituted
4:25 PM ET
  • Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer
Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher has "not given any consideration" to changing the configuration of his offensive line, regardless of the ineffectiveness that has plagued it.

Its most integral member, left tackle Greg Robinson, leads the NFL with 10 total penalties, a figure that includes those who have been declined. Five of the six offensive linemen who have received significant playing time rank within the bottom 48 percent at their respective positions, according to grading systems used by Pro Football Focus. And behind that group, star running back Todd Gurley is tied for the fewest average yards before first contact.

“We need to be more productive in the run game," Fisher told reporters when asked to assess his offensive line after Wednesday's practice from Thousand Oaks, California. "We need to minimize the penalties."

Case Keenumabsorbing contact 31 times, fewer than 12 other quarterbacks (though a big part of that is Keenum averaging 2.29 seconds before throwing a pass, tied for third-fastest in the NFL). But run blocking has been dreadful, which is disappointing for a Rams team that drafted seven offensive linemen from 2014-15 and has yet to see the group come together.

Rob Havenstein, the second-year right tackle who didn't allow a sack in 13 starts last year, has been their best, ranking 28th among 75 qualified tackles by Pro Football Focus. But second-year right guard Cody Wichmann, who has started six of seven games, is 57th among 79 guards.

Another second-year player, Jamon Brown, who has started once at right guard and has filled in periodically, is 45th. Left guard Rodger Saffold, a seventh-year starter, ranks 41st. Tim Barnes, a fifth-year pro who is in his second year as the starter, is 29th among 35 centers.

Behind them -- though, to be fair, not entirely because of them -- Gurley ranks 38th among 40 qualified running backs in rushing yards per attempt (3.01) and is tied with the Buccaneers' Charles Sims for the fewest average yards before first contact (1.34).

Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson recently blasted the Rams' offensive line, saying: "Sooner or later, somebody’s going to knock into that backfield and hurt [Gurley]."

But no changes are expected.

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...ing-offensive-line-will-remain-as-constituted

fearsomefour

Legend
What changes would be made exactly?
You have to have someone to rotate in.
Saffold at LT.....Murphy at LT.....Arkin at G.....Rhaney at C....
None of moves would excite much.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
What changes would be made exactly?
You have to have someone to rotate in.
Saffold at LT.....Murphy at LT.....Arkin at G.....Rhaney at C....
None of moves would excite much.

Pretty much this. Like it or not, our best healthy and available players are currently starting.

I am also in the minority and don't think Robinson has been nearly as bad as some fans claim. Most of his penalties have been bogus, and he's been noticeably better in pass protection this season.

Really, I wouldn't be at all surprised if our o-line issues come down to coaching and scheme rather than personnel...

fearsomefour

Legend
Pretty much this. Like it or not, our best healthy and available players are currently starting.

I am also in the minority and don't think Robinson has been nearly as bad as some fans claim. Most of his penalties have been bogus, and he's been noticeably better in pass protection this season.

Really, I wouldn't be at all surprised if our o-line issues come down to coaching and scheme rather than personnel...
Possibly.
I would say about half his holds are bogus. Easy to spot worse holding non calls a lot....in every game you watch.
He often sets up inside on pass rushers, trying to get them to go wide....makes sense, especially with a guy with bad balance.
Too often speed guys just go right around him. Keenum has done a good job of getting the ball out quickly (2.2 seconds). The O line play is as much a reason to wring hands about bringing Goff in as anything. If there was a QB holding the ball back there he would be getting creamed.
But, Robinson has not been terrible (penalties aside). He certainly isent where he should be for a guy picked that highly.
He may be a super athletic guy but that is not going to translate until he learns to play with balance. But it's a work in progress.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
At this point, it is entirely possible to assume that we just don't have much talent on the OL. They may have whiffed on these picks.....again.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I'm convinced that's the biggest issue right now. No way all of these guys coincidentally regressed at the same time. One ... maybe even two. But all five starters? Especially when we haven't had our usual annual rash of OL injuries?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I fall into the G-Rob isn't as bad as some say....scheme & coaching are wtf...and I didn't like a lot of these guys drafted...If you're gonna skimp, do that at wr, cb, and definitely not on the o-line. The draft capital should be spent on proven college guys...So, yeah, G-Rob shouldn't be the only 1st round pick. Havenstein was overdrafted...AJ Cann, Warford, hell, there are a host of 2nd and 3rd round studs we didn't even sniff at in strong O-Line drafts...My last gripe, draft a REAL center...or sign a real FA center...Hudson, Mack and another guy (not Wisnewski) could have been claimed...The center and 2 guard spots should be manned by serious competitors...not UDFA's...I actually like Jamon Brown...but ever since his injury, he's looked like garbage, really, no power in his lower body...Wichman...is he injured too? I thought he'd turn into a good pro. Solid player...

The nest time a lineman ignores or runs past a free defender, I'ma stick my head thru the tv....

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Our Oline whoa's have been mind boggling. If nothing more Fisher should switch Saffold and Grob and see how it progresses.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I fall into the G-Rob isn't as bad as some say....scheme & coaching are wtf...and I didn't like a lot of these guys drafted...If you're gonna skimp, do that at wr, cb, and definitely not on the o-line. The draft capital should be spent on proven college guys...So, yeah, G-Rob shouldn't be the only 1st round pick. Havenstein was overdrafted...AJ Cann, Warford, hell, there are a host of 2nd and 3rd round studs we didn't even sniff at in strong O-Line drafts...My last gripe, draft a REAL center...or sign a real FA center...Hudson, Mack and another guy (not Wisnewski) could have been claimed...The center and 2 guard spots should be manned by serious competitors...not UDFA's...I actually like Jamon Brown...but ever since his injury, he's looked like garbage, really, no power in his lower body...Wichman...is he injured too? I thought he'd turn into a good pro. Solid player...

The nest time a lineman ignores or runs past a free defender, I'ma stick my head thru the tv....

After 5 years of this I don't think the problem is the players we drafted. I think it's pretty obvious the big issue is the coaching. No lineman we draft ever get better-just the opposite-they regress under Boudreau. Glaringly obvious he is the common denominator in our lines consistently poor play and needs to go.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien

I agree 100%, I pointed out that this blocking scheme is what is hurting the running game. For example the last play of the 1st half of the Lions game from the one foot line, our RG pulls and blocks the LDE allowing penetration right up the middle resulting in Gurley getting stopped for a 2 yard loss. Also, I pointed out to my wife on one of the holding calls on Robinson when he knocked the defender to the ground that this is not holding.

RamWoodie

Legend
There's a lot more to this than the article says. I simply say LET THEM PLAY!!!

When things aren't good folks wanna blame somebody. The sore spot has been Wichmann, but obviously they're willing of go through the growing pains.

It hasn't been all bad...PLAY ON!!!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Time for Occam's Razor.

What is the simplest explanation for our O woes?

All 5 OL and Todd Gurley simultaneously regressed in '16?

Or there has been a coaching failure of some sort?

I think curtain #2 would be my guess.