Rams 'Strongly Considering' Khalil Mack at No. 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
upload_2014-4-9_18-0-59.jpeg

A55VA6

Legend
He's a great player. He can play DE, inside and outside LB. He ran a 4.6 so he's pretty quick. Not sure I'd want him at 2 but I remember Mayock saying he'd pick Mack 1st overall if he was a GM. So if we did draft him, we're getting a good talent.

V3

Hall of Fame
The 2nd pick for a player that's only on the field for 40% of the defensive plays? Unless they're planning on moving him to DE or MLB, that makes no sense.

jjab360

Legend
The 2nd pick for a player that's only on the field for 40% of the defensive plays? Unless they're planning on moving him to DE or MLB, that makes no sense.
Ogletree played pretty much every snap last year so it's not like there isn't PT to go around if we want two OLBs to see about 70% of the snaps instead of one getting 100% and the other just getting 40%. We could also play a lot less nickel if our OLBs were proficient enough in coverage. Mack is also strong enough to play DE, imo, so with all of these things combined I don't think there would be a problem getting a player as talented as he is on the field.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have other needs that we could get very good players at those positions at 2.

tbux

Rookie
I would bet that report is inaccurate-doesn't make any kind of sense- not that he isn't a great player- he is- but not a great fit for us imo.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

By the time the Draft rolls by the rams, according to various media outlets, would have strongly considered all the 1st round talent at #2.

V3

Hall of Fame
Ogletree played pretty much every snap last year so it's not like there isn't PT to go around if we want two OLBs to see about 70% of the snaps instead of one getting 100% and the other just getting 40%. We could also play a lot less nickel if our OLBs were proficient enough in coverage. Mack is also strong enough to play DE, imo, so with all of these things combined I don't think there would be a problem getting a player as talented as he is on the field.
I thought I read somewhere that he wasn't good in coverage? I haven't really watched much on him because I never considered him a possible target. Regardless, it seems like Fisher prefers playing nickle over three LBs. I could be wrong.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I thought I read somewhere that he wasn't good in coverage? I haven't really watched much on him because I never considered him a possible target. Regardless, it seems like Fisher prefers playing nickle over three LBs. I could be wrong.
According to my research its the one area he could use some coaching. He has the instincts and speed but needs better technique in his drops.
I would imagine that a DC could have a lot of fun with a guy like Mack. You can put him anywhere in the front seven. Having Chris Long and Kalil Mack on the same defense would be a high motor hell machine for offenses to deal with.

V3

Hall of Fame
According to my research its the one area he could use some coaching. He has the instincts and speed but needs better technique in his drops.
I would imagine that a DC could have a lot of fun with a guy like Mack. You can put him anywhere in the front seven. Having Chris Long and Kalil Mack on the same defense would be a high motor hell machine for offenses to deal with.
I'm not a fan of taking projects second overall. That seems like a pretty big trait to be missing for a pick that high. It's one thing if the team runs a 3-4 but we don't. This just seems like a smokescreen. That or just covering all their based in case they move down and he's available. I really can't believe they would take him at 2.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well, the source was Jim Thomas, to be fair, wasn't it?

I hope it's not true, but we may just be looking at all draftable options, which we would consider if we move our chess pieces around.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm not a fan of taking projects second overall. That seems like a pretty big trait to be missing for a pick that high. It's one thing if the team runs a 3-4 but we don't. This just seems like a smokescreen. That or just covering all their based in case they move down and he's available. I really can't believe they would take him at 2.
I wouldn't call Kalil Mack a project because he isn't perfect in all areas. Just sayin.