Rams Strongest All Time Position...Weakest All Time Position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who Are The Top 5 Rams of All Time? (Pick 5)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Man this is TERRIBLE Trying to pick just "5" from this List!!!!!!!!!!!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For a long time the Rams had some great Centers that covered close to 30 years:

1. Ken Iman
  2. Rich Saul
  3. Doug Smith
Add in Bern Brostek, Mike Gruttadauria & Andy McCollum and Center pales in comparison to Tight End in every which way but loose over the years.

With Tight End it is similar. Top 3:
  1. Billy Truax
  2. Pete Holohan
  3. Ernie Conwell
Add in Damone Johnson, Troy Drayton, Roland Williams, Bob Klein, Terry Nelson, Pat Carter, Pat Curran.

The tight end was not used as much as a passing target until Dan Fouts and Kellen Winslow revolutionized it, really. TE used to be primarily a blocker and occasional pass catcher. The Rams and Jim Everett went up top with Holohan for a couple years, tried it a bit with Drayton, but not much more until GSOT. Even they were more WR and Faulk out of the backfield.

I think we judge the overall tight end position, in light of today's modernized passing game.

Warner never really made a star of any of his tight ends, spreading the passes between Williams, Conwell, Jeff Robinson and Manumaleuna.

Conwell was supposed to be a star, but teased us because of injuries. He showed flashes of "wow".

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Conwell was supposed to be a star, but teased us because of injuries. He showed flashes of "wow".

Conwell great blocker could not catch overall the Rams have not passed that often to Tight Ends, but they have had some great blocking tight ends. David Hill, Bob Klein & even Cory Harkey, but
a game changer at tight end the Rams have not had, but IMO, they do now in Tyler Higbee.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I saw him in my 1st Live game ever, and it was great! As a kid, playing Football in the streets of L.A. ALL the Kids wanted to pretend they where " Crazy-Legs!" I wonder if that's why they made a Movie of his Life!?!

That's great Dave. Now tell us about Gettysburg.

:hiding:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting, Merlin might be the most dominant player for his position we've ever had and he's barely hanging on the top 5. I never saw him play myself but have read and seen enough that he was in my choices.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Deacon Jones
Eric Dickerson
Jack Youngblood
Marshall Faulk
Merlin Olsen

Regarding RBs, Dickerson and Faulk are both products of their own era. I'd take both of them on my list.

For want of a QB, Dickerson was the offense.

Chuck Knox couldn't decide who would be his QB in the 70's, and it cost him.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO

Strongest: RB
Runner up: DE

Weakest: QB
Runner up: TE
+1
agree2.gif

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
UPDATE: Interesting, I believe there is close to a consensus, regarding the position strengths, based on ROD feedback:
Weakest position grouping-
  1. Tight end
  2. Quarterback
Strongest position grouping-
  1. Running Back
  2. Defensive End
  3. Wide Receiver
As far as the "Greatest Rams" Poll, I threw that in there for fun.

I provided ten possibilities, so it certainly was not scientific. But the results were somewhat predictable. After 45 voters weighed in, Top 5:

1. Deacon Jones 97.8% 44/45 votes
  2. Eric Dickerson 77.8% 35/45
  3. Marshall Faulk 75.6% 34/35
  4. Jack Youngblood 64.4% 29/45
  5. Merlin Olson 51.1% 23/45
  6. Kurt Warner 44.4% 20/45
  7. Jackie Slater 37.8% 17/45
  8. (7-Tie) Isaac Bruce 37.8% 17/45
  9. Crazy Legs Hirsch 8.9% 4/45
  10. Norm Van Brocklin 4.4% 2/45
Among others that could have been considered for best all-timers: Tom Mack (11 Pro Bowls), Night Train Lane (a sure top 10er if he didn't spend only 2 seasons with Rams), Les Richter, Bob Waterfield, Tom Fears, Eddie Meador, Roman Gabriel, Rosie Grier, Lamar Lundy, Larry Brooks, Fred Dryer, Rich Saul, Dennis Harrah, Kent Hill, Orlando Pace, Jack Reynolds, Isaiah Robertson, Nolan Cromwell, Leroy Irvin, Jerry Gray, Kevin Greene, Torry Holt, Henry Ellard, Jack Snow, Harold Jackson, Steven Jackson, Jim Everett.....soon Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, Todd Gurley...any others that should be in the conversation?