Rams still sorting through O-line depth/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10505/rams-still-sorting-through-o-line-depth

Rams still sorting through O-line depth

August, 14, 2014

2:00

PM ET

By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Slowly but surely, the St. Louis Rams are drawing closer to having their five projected starting offensive linemen available to play together.

It's a sight, that in this training camp, has only been apparent in early practice walk throughs and a couple of other reps. Left tackle Jake Long (knee), center Scott Wells (illness) and right guard Rodger Saffold (stinger) have missed various parts of camp, and when one has returned, another has departed.

Rams Preseason Live

Follow reporter Nick Wagoner's live updates from training camp in Earth City, Missouri.
Preseason Live
While it's unlikely Long will return Saturday against Green Bay, he's been taking almost all of the reps with the first-team offense in practice. Wells has been doing the same and could be in line to play against the Packers. Saffold is still out but is also expected to be back sooner than later.

Backups such as Barrett Jones, who is battling a back injury that has already cost him a chunk of camp and could keep him out for awhile, and Brandon Washington have also been unavailable.

As is the case with any injuries, there are corresponding opportunities available for the team's many young linemen. With Davin Joseph the only backup lineman with any noteworthy playing experience, the Rams have a few spots to fill and only a few more weeks to figure out who will earn them.

"We are light in numbers right now," line coach Paul Boudreau said. "The young guys have been getting a lot of work. The only real starter I had [last week] was Joe [Barksdale] and then Davin who had actually played NFL football. All the other guys, it was a great opportunity for them.

"So from that standpoint, it’s been really good. It’s going to make it easier to decide who seven, eight and nine is because you actually get to see them play, practice and they are getting a lot of reps."

Reps are certainly not lacking for those linemen jockeying for position on the 53-man roster. Tackles Sean Hooey and Mike Person played 56 and 54 snaps against New Orleans last week, the most on the team. Center Demetrius Rhaney, tackle Mitchell Van Dyk and guard Travis Bond weren't far behind with 42, 42 and 35 snaps, respectively.

But the simple act of playing won't be enough to secure roster spots in a crowded group. Boudreau, coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are looking for standouts who also bring a certain amount of versatility.

Person has been a prime example of making an impression by his willingness to line up anywhere. He's played both tackle spots, left guard and, for the first time this week, actually worked on snapping the ball at center.

Entering a season without much experienced depth is nothing new for Boudreau, who has made a career of coaching up unknowns. Given the injury histories of three of his starters and the youth of the backups, there's still reason for concern.

"It does [concern me] right now," Boudreau said. "But I think after four preseason games, they are going to play a lot of football and the good thing is we have been cross training guys. ... It’s good to get it done early so when they get in those emergency situations, it’s not for the first time."

Even with Wells, Long and Saffold expected to get some work in the preseason, there will still be plenty of time for the other linemen to make a case. The Rams have gone heavy on offensive linemen in the past, carrying 10 on the opening day roster and as many as 11 at other points in 2013.

That may not be necessary this year considering the presence of versatile pieces like Saffold and Robinson, who can play inside and out. Assuming there are three or four spots available behind the starting five and Joseph, center Tim Barnes is the only other lineman who has starting experience in the league. He looks to be in good shape, but there's a lot to sort out amongst a group including Jones, Hooey, Person, Washington, Bond, Rhaney and Van Dyk.

"I just try to tell them you are in pro football," Boudreau said. "Pro football doesn’t just mean you get paid to be a pro. Pro football means you do stuff that coach doesn’t have to tell you to do. Get noticed in the right way."http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10505/rams-still-sorting-through-o-line-depth

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For all of those wanting an update on Barrett Jones. There ya go!

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G

It was speculated that maybe it was a concussion, but the main thing is it hurt his shot at being a starter. I think with Wells being nicked, a healthy Jones could have taken his job. Now, I guess the main issue is if it is bad enough to go IR . .. backs can be tricky. Sometimes they need some rest, other times, like in 1984 with Gary Jeter, he missed the whole season. S-Jax played through one a few years back, but his effectiveness was not there.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depressing...Will Barrett Jones ever take the field in a real game? I was counting on him as a starting Center, sooner rather than later...Don't really feel that will happen anymore..

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was speculated that maybe it was a concussion, but the main thing is it hurt his shot at being a starter. I think with Wells being nicked, a healthy Jones could have taken his job. Now, I guess the main issue is if it is bad enough to go IR . .. backs can be tricky. Sometimes they need some rest, other times, like in 1984 with Gary Jeter, he missed the whole season. S-Jax played through one a few years back, but his effectiveness was not there.

Wells isn't "knicked". He had contracted an illness, and was recuperating and getting his strength back. Him being held out of camp had nothing to do with his prior leg or foot injuries. Scott Wells, is and was always going to be the starting Center.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
That's not good. Backs are tricky. Good thing there's been some guys demonstrating some good O-line play behind the starters - looking at you, Bond, Joseph and Person.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This offense will be pretty good if we aren't forced to plug in and play the OLine every other week(Long/Wells/Saffold).
You can call me a pessimist if you want, but the chances that our starting five play a full season together is next to zero.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
This offense will be pretty good if we aren't forced to plug in and play the OLine every other week(Long/Wells/Saffold).
You can call me a pessimist if you want, but the chances that our starting five play a full season together is next to zero.

I don't think that's the craziest notion in the world.

Long, Saffold and Wells have all missed parts of camp, and they've had injuries in the past that have kept them out of games.

In recent seasons, the Rams have had to play a ludicrous amount of guys along the offensive line due to injury. So we're of course all a little gun shy about injuries and this unit.

That being said, I'm impressed by the way Long rehabbed from his torn bicep last season, and I think he can do it again with the knee. Saffold's also come back strong from injury. And Wells's absence this time is related to illness, not injury.

Most offensive lines have to deal with some injuries. It's hard to keep five guys healthy for that many snaps. So you're probably playing with pretty good odds that one of these guys is gonna miss a game.

Unlike some past years, Joseph could make for a pretty high level contingency. Some injury is pretty likely to happen, but you just have to hope it doesn't get out of hand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barnes' development could be crucial.

I think Tim Barnes development has been proven!

One thing we found out this day after the 2nd pre season game is Tim Barnes now has a bona fide buddy behind him @ center Mike Person. Person who played every snap of the 2nd pre season game @ three OL posts most being @ center the entire 2nd half. In the first pre season game Person played in all but 2 of the offensive snaps.

Tim Barnes who in preseason games in 2012 & 2013 had the opportunity to get playing time in @ both OG posts based on.....Barnes has had to concentrate fully as the main starting center since training camp began now may get the opportunity to get some work down in the OG posts. Presently with a healthy Scott Wells & a healthy back up Mike Person plus the fact both the Rams other centers are out with health issues (Jones-back & Rhaney-knee).

Boudreau has yet to see Tim Barnes partaking in one of his crucial desires that he demands form his top reserve OL'ers .... "Boudreau, coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are looking for standouts who bring a certain amount of versatility."

Lucky for the 6-4 308 pound UDFA Tim Barnes he has been a Ram since early 2011when he was a WWC from the Ravens. He has been here since Boudreau's arrival. he has remained 100% healthy & available for Boudreau to use as needed when called on. Barnes is the 6th Ram OL'er on this team & the teams top reserve. IMO both Barnes & Person are the two most valuable OL reserves. Boudreau now must find out who will be 9 & 10. Looks like ORG Davin Joseph who has a very poor game against the Packers is easily the 8th Rams OL'er most may think Joseph has more value than both Barnes & Person but both those two can play 3 positions whereas where do you find "versatility" in Davin Joseph who just plays one. Who do you think will step up to be the 9th & 10 th Ram OL'er?

Slappy967

Starter
I would like to see Harvey Dahl get a call as depth as I always liked his tenacity. Curious to see if we make some moves like that or maybe get active on cut down day and find a diamond in the rough someone else cuts.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I would like to see Harvey Dahl get a call as depth as I always liked his tenacity. Curious to see if we make some moves like that or maybe get active on cut down day and find a diamond in the rough someone else cuts.
I think he gets a call if more than one of our starting 5 go down.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I think Tim Barnes development has been proven!

One thing we found out this day after the 2nd pre season game is Tim Barnes now has a bona fide buddy behind him @ center Mike Person. Person who played every snap of the 2nd pre season game @ three OL posts most being @ center the entire 2nd half. In the first pre season game Person played in all but 2 of the offensive snaps.

Tim Barnes who in preseason games in 2012 & 2013 had the opportunity to get playing time in @ both OG posts based on.....Barnes has had to concentrate fully as the main starting center since training camp began now may get the opportunity to get some work down in the OG posts. Presently with a healthy Scott Wells & a healthy back up Mike Person plus the fact both the Rams other centers are out with health issues (Jones-back & Rhaney-knee).

Boudreau has yet to see Tim Barnes partaking in one of his crucial desires that he demands form his top reserve OL'ers .... "Boudreau, coach Jeff Fisher and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are looking for standouts who bring a certain amount of versatility."

Lucky for the 6-4 308 pound UDFA Tim Barnes he has been a Ram since early 2011when he was a WWC from the Ravens. He has been here since Boudreau's arrival. he has remained 100% healthy & available for Boudreau to use as needed when called on. Barnes is the 6th Ram OL'er on this team & the teams top reserve. IMO both Barnes & Person are the two most valuable OL reserves. Boudreau now must find out who will be 9 & 10. Looks like ORG Davin Joseph who has a very poor game against the Packers is easily the 8th Rams OL'er most may think Joseph has more value than both Barnes & Person but both those two can play 3 positions whereas where do you find "versatility" in Davin Joseph who just plays one. Who do you think will step up to be the 9th & 10 th Ram OL'er?

Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant Barnes' development not just as a backup for Wells, but looking beyond the 2014 season, his development as the potential starting center of the future.