Rams still must address needs on offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams still must address needs on offense
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/27755/rams-still-must-address-needs-on-offense

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- We're more than a week into free agency, which these days might as well be months given how fast the shelves have been cleared of valuable players.

That's not to say there aren't some good players and potential bargains still to be found, but the type of help the Los Angeles Rams need to improve their woeful offense simply isn't there. Sure, they could add a complementary piece or two, but the type of game-changing receivers and/or quarterback that would alter their offensive trajectory won't be walking through that door when they open the offseason program April 18.

Here's a look at the Rams' five most pressing needs with much of the free-agent work already done:

Quarterback: Yes, the Rams sent a strong message about how much they like Case Keenum by extending a first-round tender to the restricted free agent. They've backed that up by not showing any serious interest in outside quarterback options. So it would seem that Keenum will, at minimum, get a chance to compete for the starting job this offseason. Still, the Rams could use a possible long-term solution, and we can't completely rule out a free agent as prices drop and the market clarifies. Either way, it would qualify as a surprise if the Rams don't bring in at least one quarterback from outside the organization this offseason.

Wide receiver: The Rams brought back Brian Quick on a one-year, "prove it" deal, but that doesn't do anything to fix their biggest issue at the position: the need for a true No. 1 target. Rueben Randle paid a visit and would be a solid addition for depth, but he also wouldn't fill the need for a top target in the passing game. With Stedman Bailey's status uncertain, the Rams could still use another receiver or two, and they've been linked to most of the top receivers in this year's draft class in various mock drafts. But even the top wideouts in this class don't have the same reputations as the best in recent classes, so there's no guarantee the Rams would be getting what they need by using the 15th pick on one. Nonetheless, it's a good bet the Rams will add at least one more receiver before the offseason is over.

Tight end: The depth chart at this position has seen some changes in the past month or so as the Rams released Jared Cook and re-signed Cory Harkey. They brought Zach Miller in for a visit, but he ended up re-signing with the Chicago Bears. Most of the top free agents available have already signed, leaving behind a barren market. Which means if the Rams want to add help here, they'll probably need to turn to the draft. As at receiver, the draft doesn't appear to be loaded with talent here, but the Rams don't need a do-it-all star so much as a solid, reliable target in the passing game. Harkey and Lance Kendricks can handle the rest.

Free safety: This is a new addition to the list based on what happened on the opening day of free agency. With Rodney McLeod off to Philadelphia, the Rams now have a glaring need for a starter here. Cody Davis re-signed and could theoretically get a look, but the Rams also will continue to evaluate their options. The draft provides some possibilities, and veteran Reggie Nelson remains on the market. Nelson might be a nice short-term fit if the price is right and the Rams have expressed at least some interest in him. Most of the Rams' salary-cap dollars have gone to defense in this free-agent period, but this is the most glaring need remaining on that side of the ball.

Kicker: This one has kind of flown under the radar because other, bigger pieces have been moving, but as of right now, the Rams don't have a place-kicker on the roster. Greg Zuerlein is a free agent and hasn't signed elsewhere so it remains possible the Rams bring him back. Even if they do, coach Jeff Fisher has been clear that there will be competition for that job, which means the Rams will probably add more than one in the coming weeks.

fearsomefour

Legend
Quarterback: Yes, the Rams sent a strong message about how much they like Case Keenum by extending a first-round tender to the restricted free agent.
Or how little they thing of the other options on the team....and the other options in FA. The Rams may really like Keenum or the lack of any action on available FA QBs may mean they don't see a better option out there. Those are two different things....to quote the old song, "If you can be with the one you love, love the one you're with...."

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't blame the Rams for trying to build up Keenums confidence by saying all of this stuff. If the draft doesn't work out and you don't get a QB, at least your current starter is confident. But I still see the team shooting for one of the top rookies.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't blame the Rams for trying to build up Keenums confidence by saying all of this stuff. If the draft doesn't work out and you don't get a QB, at least your current starter is confident. But I still see the team shooting for one of the top rookies.
And we still need to "Beef-Up" our WR Corps! I like to see us pick up at least two more! To push everyone!!(y);)

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Wow, I did not know that.

The TE position improved about 1000% with Cook leaving.
Kendricks' performance did little to inspire confidence in him as a #1 TE and the number of rookies that make an impact at that position is next to zero.

Cook was playing below his contract, but his exit leaves nothing but a hole on the offensive depth chart.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Hoping we target Treadwell and Aguayo. Maybe trading down for more picks would be the best move considering the talent gap between prospects after the 1st round is slim and we have a bunch of needs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not so sure that a Deep Safety is up there anything close to the needs ongoing @ QB/WR/TE. Rob Boras who main thing has been TE's. Its not like we don't have any. I just do my thought on the TE's right now.

#1)Lance Kendricks 6-3 250 is no longer a young guy. He is in his prime @ 28 yd old. Lance has only missed 2 games in five seasons. He has 63 starts & he has caught 154 NFL passes with 15 TD's. So now it's his time to shine. Lance is getting a very large pay check to be the #1 TE. We know he lacks the over the middle range of a Jared Cook but I like his hands much better.

#2)Cory Harkey 6-4 260 25 yr old & California guy has been around now for four Ram seasons himself. Since becoming our starting HB/FB in 2013 he has dressed for 52 NFL games with 28 starts. I see no reason that both Lance & Cory can not both be teamed up on the LOS together. Rams have locked Cory up now till 2019. I say lets get him some serious action on the line but still some @ FB or move H back activity. Why would we nit get him up on the LOS along with Lance. Gurley is sure to like Cory on the edge blocking for him Cory is faster than most think.

#3)Justice Cunningham 6-3/258 25 yr old who has been in the NFL now for 3 seasons after being drafted by the Colts in 2013. He is now entering his third season as a Ram. Justice will be a RFA next yr at this time. Justice has only dressed for 3 NFL games. This South Carolina gamecock played in all 53 games over his four-year career, making 23 starts. We know the reason Justice is here its due to his skills as a run blocker and pass blocker. His best known talent is his Powerful Punch when used as a FB. I would hope that Justice can take over the majority of the H-B FB plays for Cory thus permitting Cory to join in with Lance on the LOS.

The only other Ram worth bring up here is a FB named (#4) Zack Laskey who showed up in May last season as a 6-2 230 pound FB/RB tweener with a set of fast wheels, moves, blocks & magic hands & was a primary punt returner for Georgia Tech but just did not fit anywhere, really in last yrs Rams offense. Rams however signed him thru up to 2018. It will be interesting to see if Laskey after spending a full season on the practice Squad will emerge looking a bit different after a full year of Rock Gullickson beefing him up.

What seems to be missing here for this run dominate Ram offense is a pass receiving threat @ TE. Rob Boras needs a sticky handed ball catcher TE in this draft in the worse way Maybe even one in the 4th rd.& another one in the 6th rd.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
And we still need to "Beef-Up" our WR Corps! I like to see us pick up at least two more! To push everyone!!(y);)
I agree, Drafting a young QB will not automatically make the rams a playoff team, how much better is a rookie going to be than keenum or even foles last year? we need weapons if no one is getting open then its back to having QB hold the ball and get killed .

Ram Man

Rookie
I agree, Drafting a young QB will not automatically make the rams a playoff team, how much better is a rookie going to be than keenum or even foles last year? we need weapons if no one is getting open then its back to having QB hold the ball and get killed .

A rookie QB thrown into the starting lineup early in the season will have a VERY hard time of it with our current crop of pass catchers. Most rookie QB's would benefit from sitting for at least a year even in a normal situation. Add the difficulties and distractions related to the Rams' transition to Los Angeles and things will be even tougher for a rookie QB. The Rams likely temporary Thousand Oaks practice facility is a long drive from the LA Coliseum with traffic.

If the Rams do draft and immediately start a quarterback they better accept a season with more loses than wins again in 2016.

nantucket9

UDFA
Name
nantucket9
I can't see how the Rams ignore a QB in round 1 (where they are drafting, or trade up) or round 2. Even if they eek into the playoffs with CK -- doubtful, but possible -- the upside of the team with CK at the helm is limited. At some point, the Rams have to start taking QBs early and often to find a GOOD one. I'm not advocating this, but taking two this year if they feel two have real upside (e.g. round 1 and round 3 or 4) isn't out of the question (like the Skins did a few years ago, and the second one picked worked out just fine). If a QB (s) picked this year doesn't work out, move on -- take one again next year.

The reality is in the NFL: No quality QB: no quality team. Get more QB talent asap, let him develop and start getting weapons. They can be round in rounds 2, 3, 4....

Aren't we tired of losing and mediocrity and seeing lousy QB play (one has to almost go back to pre-Bradford ...) ?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A rookie QB thrown into the starting lineup early in the season will have a VERY hard time of it with our current crop of pass catchers. Most rookie QB's would benefit from sitting for at least a year even in a normal situation. Add the difficulties and distractions related to the Rams' transition to Los Angeles and things will be even tougher for a rookie QB. The Rams likely temporary Thousand Oaks practice facility is a long drive from the LA Coliseum with traffic.

If the Rams do draft and immediately start a quarterback they better accept a season with more loses than wins again in 2016.

I think it's reasonable to expect S&F to add a WR and a TE in this draft, Ram Man.

No matter who is the QB. and even if they trade up to 4 or 6.

And the LA relocation and 1000 Oaks practice facility are irrelevant, I think. I mean, ANY drafted rookie of any team will have relocation issues in their 1st year. They're unavoidable.

Not to worry.