Rams still lacking in fantasy projections/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams still lacking in fantasy projections
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8662/rams-still-lacking-in-fantasy-projections

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- It's been quite some time since the St. Louis Rams had multiple players holding prominent spots on preseason lists of the expected top performers in fantasy football.

Sure, running back Steven Jackson was a regular pick in the top three rounds for much of his time in St. Louis, but other than that not many Rams names would pop up early in your draft unless you played with a devout fan making homer picks.

On Tuesday afternoon, ESPN senior fantasy analyst Matthew Berry released his offseason fantasy football rankings. If you're looking for a strong Rams presence among his top 200 players, well, you better just repeatedly look at the No. 19 spot on the list.

That's where Rams running back Zac Stacy, who is also 10th among running backs, resides. That's a really solid ranking for the second-year back, who narrowly missed a 1,000-yard season despite barely playing the first four weeks.

Seeing Stacy so high on the list should come as no surprise given his production after taking over the job and the team's clear commitment to a run-first approach. Adding mauling offensive lineman Greg Robinson with the second overall pick should also bolster Stacy's production.

But Stacy should also come with a buyer beware tag. He was quite good when healthy and playing teams with lesser run defenses in 2013 but he struggled with repeated injuries -- though most were little ones that cost him a quarter here or a half there and no full games -- and elite defenses, namely the ones in the NFC West, save for a big game at home against Seattle.

Adding a little more intrigue to Stacy's spot is the addition of third-round back Tre Mason, who appears at No. 124 on the list. Should Stacy battle some of those aforementioned bumps and bruises, Mason could take over and never look back. As the fantasy experts would say, you'd be wise to handcuff Mason to Stacy should you choose him early.

Aside from Stacy and Mason, it's hard to find much Rams presence on the rest of the list. Receiver Tavon Austin checks in at No. 117 and 51st among receivers. The Rams defense is No. 185 on the list and No. 9 among defenses.

Should Austin meet his potential and provide the big plays many believe he can on a consistent basis, he could turn out to be a good value but it's understandable why none of the Rams receivers, quarterbacks or tight ends crack the list aside from Austin. Perhaps someone will emerge during the season; the Rams are certainly hoping that a young wideout or two develops into that type of threat.

The defense might prove the best value of all, especially if your league puts an emphasis on sacks.

Stacy almost won me multiple leagues as a week 5 waiver wire pick up, then the Seahawks game happened :(, still won one of them, and had a 15 week winning streak in the other.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
since were talking fantasy here, Im in a keeper league and we get to keep 10 anybody wanna give me some advice on who to keep? Having a real problem cutting Foles because I think I may be able to trade him.

QBNick Foles, Phi

RBChris Johnson, NYJ

RBZac Stacy, StL

RB/WRMarshawn Lynch, Sea

WRBrandon Marshall, Chi

WRKeenan Allen, SD

WR/TEVincent Jackson, TB

TERob Gronkowski, NE

D/STRams D/ST D/ST

KMason Crosby, GB

BenchAaron Rodgers, GB

BenchC.J. Spiller, Buf

BenchSteven Jackson, Atl

BenchTavon Austin, StL

BenchBen Roethlisberger, Pit

BenchDanny Amendola, NE
Bench------------------

Last edited:

rdw

Pro Bowler
Entertaining for some I suppose but the day fantasy winners = Lombardi trophy winners I'll start caring.
Sorry if I sound negative :D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Entertaining for some I suppose but the day fantasy winners = Lombardi trophy winners I'll start caring.
Sorry if I sound negative :D
Yeah - I know some people really get into the fantasy stuff and that's cool. I'm there with you though. Not sure it's negative - just not your thing. I think most FF players get the fantasy/reality disconnect though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ramsjunkie all those numbers make my head spin. Thanks for reminding me why I don't do FF.

If FF is all based on stats, then all projections would be based on last years stats. There wouldn't be any accounting for offseason team improvements.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Yeah - I know some people really get into the fantasy stuff and that's cool. I'm there with you though. Not sure it's negative - just not your thing. I think most FF players get the fantasy/reality disconnect though.
Just to clarify a bit, I'm not against fantasy at all. For other people it's fine but when I played I found myself rooting for other teams players and that just didn't sit right with me... (I also refused to draft any Niners players.)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ramsjunkie all those numbers make my head spin. Thanks for reminding me why I don't do FF.

If FF is all based on stats, then all projections would be based on last years stats. There wouldn't be any accounting for offseason team improvements.
Seems to me that there is the potential win - projecting the improvements and declines.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just to clarify a bit, I'm not against fantasy at all. For other people it's fine but when I played I found myself rooting for other teams players and that just didn't sit right with me... (I also refused to draft any Niners players.)
Again we're in the same boat. I've played once and refused to draft Whiner, Shecock, Cowgirl, or Viqueen players. I actually didn't do too bad but I lost interest as I didn't really care about any players not wearing horns.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
since were talking fantasy here, Im in a keeper league and we get to keep 10 anybody wanna give me some advice on who to keep? Having a real problem cutting Foles because I think I may be able to trade him.

QBNick Foles, Phi

RBChris Johnson, NYJ

RBZac Stacy, StL

RB/WRMarshawn Lynch, Sea

WRBrandon Marshall, Chi

WRKeenan Allen, SD

WR/TEVincent Jackson, TB

TERob Gronkowski, NE

D/STRams D/ST D/ST

KMason Crosby, GB

BenchAaron Rodgers, GB

BenchC.J. Spiller, Buf

BenchSteven Jackson, Atl

BenchTavon Austin, StL

BenchBen Roethlisberger, Pit

BenchDanny Amendola, NE
Bench------------------

Id bench chris johnson for CJ Spiller and start Rodgers(almost won me a league single handedly lol)

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Id bench chris johnson for CJ Spiller and start Rodgers(almost won me a league single handedly lol)

yeah I would too but rogers was hurt most of the year last year so I had to play Foles. Rodgers will be back in the line up but as I said I can only keep 10 of these guys on my roster I'm having a hard time picking 10 to keep gonna have to make some tough cuts. Gotta cut 6 who would you cut?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
yeah I would too but rogers was hurt most of the year last year so I had to play Foles. Rodgers will be back in the line up but as I said I can only keep 10 of these guys on my roster I'm having a hard time picking 10 to keep gonna have to make some tough cuts. Gotta cut 6 who would you cut?

QB- Aaron Rodgers, GB

RB- C.J. Spiller, Tenn

RB- Zac Stacy, StL

RB/WR- Marshawn Lynch, Sea

WR- Brandon Marshall, Chi

WR- Keenan Allen, SD

WR/TE- Vincent Jackson, TB

TE- Rob Gronkowski, NE

D/ST- Rams D/ST D/ST

K- Mason Crosby, GB

That would be my 10 if I had to choose.