Rams still interested in Barksdale, but where does he fit?/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams still interested in OT Joe Barksdale, but where does he fit?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ted-in-ot-joe-barksdale-but-where-does-he-fit

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Even after spending four draft picks, including second and third-round selections on offensive linemen, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher says the team retains interest in bringing back incumbent right tackle Joe Barksdale.

"We still have interest in bringing Joe back,” Fisher said on Friday night and confirmed again Saturday.

But having interest and re-signing Barksdale are two very different things. And looking at it more critically, it seems fair to wonder if Barksdale has played his final game in St. Louis.

Immediately after the second and third rounds, Fisher and general manager Les Snead pointed out the possibilities for second-round offensive tackle Rob Havenstein and third-round guard Jamon Brown. They didn't speak about either player, especially Havenstein, as though they were going to do anything but come in and contribute right away.

"With big Rob, he is ready to play," Snead said. "He’s a right tackle, started a ton of games – never missed any. They run the ball well up there. All of that translated to the Senior Bowl. He’s just a guy that knows his strengths and weaknesses and how to use them."

That doesn't sound like the description of a player who is going to warm the bench upon his arrival in St. Louis, which would leave the pressing question of where Barksdale fits in?

One could argue that Barksdale would be a high-quality swing tackle or could come in to compete for a starting job. But it's hard to imagine that a player who remains unsigned would not only accept the salary of a swing tackle or be all that enthusiastic about competing for the job he's held down for the past two seasons.

Making it more unlikely is the presence of Garrett Reynolds, the free agent the Rams signed from Detroit. Reynolds is already penciled in as the swing tackle to back up Greg Robinson and, likely, Havenstein.

From a financial standpoint, bringing Barksdale back also probably wouldn't make much sense. When free agency started, his camp overvalued his market and while the Rams have held steady to a salary in the range of $3-4 million, that hasn't sufficed. The Rams aren't exactly in a good position to pay that kind of money to a player who might not even start.

And all of that assumes Barksdale even wants to return, which at this point is no sure thing. He's remained quiet throughout the process despite multiple attempts to reach him. At the March owners meetings, Fisher made reference to Barksdale's price not falling in the range of what he'd hoped at the start of free agency.

It's not unusual in situations like these for a player to hold out for a certain price, not get it and then find himself upset enough with his original team to want to move on to something new. The Tennessee Titans showed interest and are believed to have put forth an offer, but Barksdale didn't accept and they moved on to Byron Bell.

If the Rams do indeed bring Barksdale back, it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing for a line that lacks experience. Reading between the lines, it seems entirely possible, if not probable, that both sides are ready to move on.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think we are better off letting the young guys start, and getting them up to speed in the NFL.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we are better off letting the young guys start, and getting them up to speed in the NFL.
Well.... we started down that road, might as well see where is takes us.

But, I am prepared for some twists and turns in that road... especially this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's time to move on from Barksdale. Both Brown and Havenstein played RT in college, for a lot of games. Barksdale was only a fair tackle, imo...Hopefully we have an upgrade in Havenstein at RT.....Besides, I'm sure he wants to enjoy several more months of his honeymoon instead of signing with the Rams.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Depends if La'el Collins becomes available...

If we can land yet another young stud... well, I'd do that over signing Barks and that would cinch it. And yeah, I think Collins would start over Havenstein at ROT.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
ithis rather have rookie guards than a rookie tackle. Please resign barks atleast WE KNOW he is serviceable. If a rook shows he is better then cut trade barks... we need insurance