Rams still figuring out things on defense, but with Dallas coming up, they better hurry

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams still figuring out things on defense, but with Dallas coming up, they better hurry

0802_spo_ldn-l-rams-201.jpg

The Rams defense has not played up to expectations so far under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, and it will face a significant challenge Sunday against the Cowboys. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan, Orange County Register/SCNG)

By RICH HAMMOND

THOUSAND OAKS — It’s not time to worry about the Rams’ defense. Give that another couple days.

Thus far, the scheme of new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips has underwhelmed. The Rams rank 26th in the NFL in points allowed per game (25.0) and 22nd in yards allowed (343.7), and last week the Rams ended up in a shootout against a San Francisco team that previously hadn’t scored a touchdown.

The challenge doesn’t get easier this Sunday, as the Rams travel to face a balanced Dallas offense that includes quarterback Dak Prescott, running back Ezekiel Elliott and tight end Jason Witten.

“We look at it as a big challenge,” Phillips said after Thursday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “I think we’ll see a lot about our team this week, as far as where we are, to match up against that premier offense.”

The Rams clearly are having some issues. After their dominating season-opening game against an Indianapolis team that lacked its quarterback and center, the Rams allowed 27 points and 385 yards in a loss to Washington, then 39 points and 421 yards in a way-too-close victory over the 49ers.

Run defense remains an issue, cornerbacks have been beat on big plays and, last week, the 49ers converted on nine of their 18 third-down attempts.

On the other hand, Phillips pointed out that special-teams miscues sent the Rams’ defense onto the field in unusual circumstances multiple times, and Phillips said the unit would get a boost from the expected return of starting cornerback Kayvon Webster, who missed two games with a shoulder injury.

Phillips also hinted that the Rams might move Michael Brockers, who has been one of the most productive players up front, away from nose tackle and to a defensive tackle role.

“A premier challenge,” Phillips said of Dallas. “When you’re playing a really good offensive team, that’s when you have to step up and be a good defensive team. I think we’ll get better in some of the areas we need to, but we’ll find out. That’s why we play the games, to see what happens. But I like our group.”

Phillips’ recent history shows that early-season struggles, when he takes over and transitions a team from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 front, are not uncommon.

In 2011, Phillips took over an awful Houston defense. In the third game of that season, the Texans allowed 40 points and 454 yards in a loss to New Orleans. Houston finished that season ranked fourth in points allowed (17.4 per game) and second in yards (285.7).

In 2004, Phillips’ San Diego defense allowed an average of 28 points in its first three games. The Chargers finished that season 11th in the league, with an average of 19.6 points allowed per game.

Even in Denver in 2015, when Phillips took over what had been a fairly stout defense, the Broncos twice allowed 40-plus points. So while these early bumps for the Rams shouldn’t automatically cause panic, another bad week or two might counter the narrative that Phillips is a turnaround artist.

“It goes both ways,” Phillips said. “One year we started 0-3 in Buffalo and made the playoffs. Then, I think in Denver in our first game we gave up 170 yards. It’s all about how you play and who you’re playing, too. I’m looking forward to this one.”

In his last four stops as defensive coordinator (Denver, Houston, San Diego and Atlanta), Phillips has improved his teams’ points-against and yards-against totals in the first year. Not since 2005 has a Phillips-coached defense finished out of the NFL’s top 10 in points and yards.

INJURY REPORT

Receivers Sammy Watkins and Tavon Austin, both of whom suffered concussions last week, fully participated in Thursday’s practice. Coach Sean McVay said both will play Sunday, but per NFL rules, both receivers will need to receive final clearance Friday to be removed from concussion protocol.

Safety Lamarcus Joyner (hamstring) did not practice and center John Sullivan (hip) was listed as limited.

HIGH HONOR

Rams running back Todd Gurley was named NFC player of the month for September. Gurley totaled 341 rushing and receiving yards, second among non-quarterbacks to Kansas City running back Kareem Hunt. Gurley and Hunt also are tied with an NFL-high six touchdowns.

HOMECOMING DAY

Phillips will return to Dallas, where he worked as head coach from 2007-10. Phillips said he retains “fond memories” of his time with Dallas, one of his 10 stops in the NFL.

“If I had a vendetta against every team that fired me… That’s a quarter of the league,” Phillips joked. “Things happen. Part of coaching is getting fired.”

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the idea of moving Brockers outside with Tyrunn Walker starting at NT, that is why I was shocked the Rams released Mike Purcell, who was used to playing that NT position. I understand that Wade's scheme does not call for the perennial Nose Tackle, but seems a space eater is needed, however, IMO, the best three DL the Rams have are Donald, Brockers & Walker and moving Brockers outside with Walker to NT gets them all on the field at the same time, I'm for it.

I'm glad they are looking to do something and not standing pat and giving Brockers the ability to make more plays would be a plus. I actually would look to starting Longacre over Quinn and just bring Quinn in on passing downs, would keep Quinn fresh and IMO, Longacre is much better holding the edge against the run.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
INJURY REPORT

Receivers Sammy Watkins and Tavon Austin, both of whom suffered concussions last week, fully participated in Thursday’s practice. Coach Sean McVay said both will play Sunday, but per NFL rules, both receivers will need to receive final clearance Friday to be removed from concussion protocol.

Safety Lamarcus Joyner (hamstring) did not practice and center John Sullivan (hip) was listed as limited.
This^^ is what I've been waiting to hear all week!! Great News!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Concern Surrounds Cowboys OL Heading Into Week 4
https://insidethestar.com/concern-surrounds-cowboys-ol-heading-week-4/

After the first three weeks, the 2-1 Dallas Cowboys are in pretty good shape heading into week four. In the first three games we’ve slowly but surely seen the defense get better, Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott have found their grooves, and the play calling has improved. What has yet to improve, that I’m sure surprises us all, is the offensive line.

Through three weeks, it’s not an exaggeration to say that the offensive line has been the worst position group on the team. Trust me, I can’t believe I’m saying that either.

In recent years we’ve seen the OL struggle in maybe one aspect of the game for a game or two, but two weeks in a row the Dallas OL has been bad across the board. The first question that will always get brought up is, are they struggling because of the departures of Doug Free and Ronald Leary?

While that certainly doesn’t help the cause, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and Zack Martin haven’t been playing at the All-Pro level we’re used to seeing. If I had to guess, it’s likely due to each lineman feeling out the new man beside him.

If you didn’t know this yet, you do now. Each Cowboys’ offensive lineman has never played in a regular season game lined up beside the teammate he’s currently playing alongside, other than Travis Frederick and Zack Martin. Even then, Frederick has a new face at left guard in Chaz Green.

When La’el Collins was the starting left guard, he was lined up between Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick. When Chaz Green played left tackle last year, filling in for Tyron Smith, he lined up beside Ronald Leary. Tyron Smith has very few reps playing alongside Chaz Green and Zack Martin has very few reps playing alongside La’el Collins.Why does that matter? Playing offensive line is all about knowing when and where your teammates are going to be and who they are going to block.

For example, Travis Frederick never used to worry about passing his man off to Ron Leary. Tyron Smith never had to worry about giving Ron Leary some help inside while also dealing with whoever is screaming off the edge.

The main reason behind that is because those five guys had played so many snaps together as a unit. So far this year, that has changed. Each lineman is having more responsibilities helping each other out.

The current five starters have only played three regular season games together and are still feeling each other out. The first team unit didn’t get many reps together in preseason due to injury concerns with both Tyron Smith and Chaz Green.

So we should all probably pump the breaks on the worrying just a little bitSo far it hasn’t been pretty, but eventually this OL will figure it out.It may take another week or two to fully gel, but I personally don’t think this is a long-term issue. We saw at the end of the Arizona game that Dak Prescott was getting more time to pass, and Ezekiel Elliott’s running lanes were opening up more and more.

The Dallas Cowboys offensive line hasn’t had it easy the first three weeks by any means, facing three of the better defensive lines in the NFL. It doesn’t get any easier this week when the Aaron Donald-led Los Angeles Rams come to town on Sunday.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
"Phillips also hinted that the Rams might move Michael Brockers, who has been one of the most productive players up front, away from nose tackle and to a defensive tackle role."

I wonder who here @ ROD brought this up back in March of this year?:thinking:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-sign-dt-tyrunn-walker.48962/page-3#post-882761
@Soul Surfer ;)

Then later on Aug.2nd 2017.....
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/easley-injury-season-ending.50308/page-4#post-919900

Well we will see if this happens completely. MB has been playing more & more snaps away from the nose beginning wk #2.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Phillips’ recent history shows that early-season struggles, when he takes over and transitions a team from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 front, are not uncommon.

In 2011, Phillips took over an awful Houston defense. In the third game of that season, the Texans allowed 40 points and 454 yards in a loss to New Orleans. Houston finished that season ranked fourth in points allowed (17.4 per game) and second in yards (285.7).

Didn't the Texans draft two stars on defense that year. Also didn't they play a 3-4 before? Not taking anything away from WP but I don't think the Texans had to totally relearn positions. Maybe some things needed to be learned but it's not like the positions changed.

In recent years we’ve seen the OL struggle in maybe one aspect of the game for a game or two, but two weeks in a row the Dallas OL has been bad across the board. The first question that will always get brought up is, are they struggling because of the departures of Doug Free and Ronald Leary?

Each lineman is having more responsibilities helping each other out.

The current five starters have only played three regular season games together and are still feeling each other out. The first team unit didn’t get many reps together in preseason due to injury concerns with both Tyron Smith and Chaz Green.

WP has to do some things to confuse these guys while they are still new to each other.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
“We look at it as a big challenge,” Phillips said after Thursday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “I think we’ll see a lot about our team this week, as far as where we are, to match up against that premier offense.”
Son of Bum throwing down the gauntlet....

Or is he just challenging his defense?:rant:

Phillips pointed out that special-teams miscues sent the Rams’ defense onto the field in unusual circumstances multiple times
Son of Bum throwing some shade at Coach Bones...LOL:fuelfire:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We saw at the end of the Arizona game that Dak Prescott was getting more time to pass, and Ezekiel Elliott’s running lanes were opening up more and more.
Maybe it's just me, but I tend to think this^^ may have been because the Cards Defense was Gased, and not because of what the Cowboy's where doing! Just my bias opinion!;)

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

With experience comes perfection. The word that gets me is "premier" meaning this Dallas team will finally put our guys to the ultimate test. We are basically going into a gun fight with no ammo. If we can turn around the D on this game then we will have a better foundation to build on. Yes, Dallas will be the 1st real team to see where our current D roster measures up.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Pokes OL clearly lacked discipline vs the Cards. It was also clear that the Cards D got gassed as the game went on, letting the Pokes back into the game.

rams should be able to take advantage.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
There is a DT coming out of University of Wash. that could end up being our first rd. pick next year. I can't remember his name though ... A Samoan. But he is big, strong and nasty.