Rams staying the course - at QB, and on offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams staying the course - at QB, and on offensive line

By RYAN KARTJE / STAFF WRITER

THOUSAND OAKS – Jeff Fisher is not afraid of commitment. Even if that commitment means more of the same issues on the Rams’ struggling offense.

Following the team’s third straight loss Sunday, Fisher reiterated the Rams would stay committed to Case Keenum as starting quarterback, even as the team limped into the bye week, with top overall pick Jared Goff waiting in the wings. Two days later, the embattled coach offered a similar vote of confidence in his offensive line, which, through seven games, has been a glaring weaknesses.

“We’ve got guys that can play and that can back up,” Fisher said Wednesday, during the Rams’ only bye-week practice. “I’ve not given any consideration (to making changes).

Instead, the Rams will stay the course with an offensive line that was supposed to begin jelling this season, after two seasons of strategic construction. In 2014 and 2015, the Rams made a concerted effort to build their line through the draft, using seven of their 20 draft picks on offensive linemen.

But so far, any signs of growth have been lost in a glut of penalties and horrendous run blocking. Earlier this month, the Rams’ offensive line ranked second-to-last in Pro Football Focus’ offensive line grades, and it’s not hard to see from where those issues stem.

They begin in the backfield. Todd Gurley, last year’s offensive rookie of the year, is averaging just 3 yards per carry – 37th among qualifying running backs. A year after Gurley busted 11 runs of 20-plus yards, his longest carry through seven games is just 16 yards.

Fisher has been hesitant to fault the offensive line for issues in the run game. Those up front, however, understand they deserve some of the blame.

“We’re protecting a lot better in the pass game, but in the run game, we’re lacking,” left tackle Greg Robinson said. “We need to get that going. I feel like Todd is at the line and the holes just close. I can’t really explain it.”

Robinson does, however, claim to have an explanation for the litany of flags he’s drawn this season, which have been a major strain on a less-than-explosive Rams offense.

A year after leading all NFL offensive linemen in penalties (16), Robinson is again the most penalized in the league (10) by a margin of three penalties. If he continues at his current pace, Robinson will end the season with more penalties than any NFL offensive linemen since 1999, when NFLPenalties.com began tracking flags.

Robinson blames those calls on a “bad reputation” he earned in his first two seasons. Opposing defensive linemen, he believes, have been throwing their hands up as they rush, in hopes of drawing holding calls.

“(The referees) are looking for anything,” Robinson said.

Even on plays when he isn’t flagged, the third-year left tackle hasn’t shown the progress many hoped he would. He’s not alone in that distinction, though. Right tackle Rob Havenstein has also had a disappointing first half, after an impressive 2015 in which he allowed zero sacks and was never flagged.

As the second overall pick in the 2014 draft, though, Robinson was a significant investment. One in which the Rams are still waiting for a return.

“I feel like I’ve made a lot of strides,” Robinson said. “It’s not perfect. I don’t expect it to be. I can’t be too hard on myself because there are a lot of good things that I see, but the main thing is fixing mistakes and trying my best to really be strict on myself.”

Whether Robinson can make those changes remains to be seen, but the Rams are confident he will. On his radio show, Fisher was asked if a struggling Robinson might shift inside to guard.

He replied by saying he has “no intention” of making any such change. On Wednesday, he offered more confidence in his left tackle.

“Greg is going to be a really good player,” Fisher said.

FIRST-TEAM REPS
Two days after a report suggested the Rams believe top overall pick Jared Goff is still “a long way away” from being ready at quarterback, the rookie backup took most of the first-team reps under center Wednesday.

As he denied the report, Fisher suggested that Goff’s place as Keenum’s immediate backup was a sign he’s confident the rookie could step in and play.

Fisher said he was pleased with Goff’s performance Wednesday, and if Keenum were to go down with an injury, he wouldn’t change anything about the Rams’ offensive scheme to cater to Goff.

“He’s a play away, and he knows that,” Fisher said. “If he wasn’t making progress, he’d be a No. 3.”

In a season in which six rookie quarterbacks have started before him, Goff said he’s “tremendously more comfortable” now than he was two months ago.

“I feel confident that if my number is called, I’ll be ready to go,” he said.

[www.ocregister.com]

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why not . Who cares that they just lost three in a row they should've won . Who cares about making the playoffs .
3-4 is right where Fisher is comfortable so stay the course Jeff for your 7-9 bullcrap that we've suffered through for 5 years . Fisher knows best .

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Why not . Who cares that they just lost three in a row they should've won . Who cares about making the playoffs .
3-4 is right where Fisher is comfortable so stay the course Jeff for your 7-9 bullcrap that we've suffered through for 5 years . Fisher knows best .
Inspirational. I read all that and I have affirmation. My fandom is tested. I still love this team. Thanks for asking who cares this fine morning. I realize I do. Too bad it's a bye week. Ready for some football. Go rams!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Inspirational. I read all that and I have affirmation. My fandom is tested. I still love this team. Thanks for asking who cares this fine morning. I realize I do. Too bad it's a bye week. Ready for some football. Go rams!
I watch every game even when I knew that had no chance of winning. Problem is that this team is good enough to win against whoever they play unless they come out with the same Fisher game plan every week. Love the Rams , but I've lost all faith in Fisher .

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I believe much of GRobs penalties are due to reputatipn. I'm seeing holding calls on him that just aren't there.
On the other side, Quinn gets held constantly. Rarely a call on the LT on those.

The article also makes it sound like our o line has been together for 2 years and has yet to gel. No mention of the many injuries and shuffling of these guys.
Our line isn't where any of us would like it to be, but it's certainly not because of neglecting the position.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
:yay:
DITTO!!:icare::yess: And I wish the Panthers game was TODAY!(y):popcorn: With " EVERYONE HEALTHY"!!:cheers:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ahhh, Fisher....who you tryin to fool? We all know Goff is starting next week.....

G-Rob is getting shafted with the holds....the false starts are shafting us...it should be an interesting game on the ground versus the Panthers...I bet after the Cards beat them down, they'll be ready...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
With the OL still not performing well, I'm losing confidence in OL coach Paul Boudreau. Early last year he had Saffold at LG next to GRob and got lousy results. The left side didn't start performing well until Saffold hurt his shoulder and Brown took over. The left side really started playing well when Reynolds took over at LG. GRob quit making penalties with the vet next to him. So now Saffold is back at LG and the left side is getting the same results. OL coaching has been a huge disappointment.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Love the Rams, but I've lost all faith in Fisher .

That's it, in a nutshell.

alberteinstein133991.jpg

ramsseahawks-2.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
C'mon you guys, we all know you can't believe what comes out of Fishers mouth. He tells the media shit, and for good reason.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What incentive is there to introduce Goff to Panthers defense in his first start?

The Panthers D isn't playing the way it was last year. Plus, the only film on Goff as a pro is his preseason work. That's not much as a basis for preparation.

Bruce2980

Starter
The Panthers D isn't playing the way it was last year. Plus, the only film on Goff as a pro is his preseason work. That's not much as a basis for preparation.
Even less basis for preparation if they are preparing for Keenum when it is Goff that starts. The defense won't be prepared for bullets deep down the field, only high altitude balloons falling slowly back to earth.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Panthers game may see a little Goff activity..........I still think Fisher is going to bring Goff along like he did with McNair. Maybe he won't wait as long to name him the full time starter but if he starts here and there this year, and gets playing time here and there even in games he doesn't start I'm OK with it.

And I don't think its any reflection on how competent the coaching staff is either. We knew he wasn't going to start right away anyway.